• 1 Post By treord8
  • 1 Post By guntis

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things
Default McGuire - a 'wacky jewel

Jul 17, 2016

My friend Paul is far more eloquent than I, so what follows is an account of our day in his inimitable style:

The forecast in Chilliwack was for thunder and lightning by early-mid afternoon so my wise friend Guntis pushed for us to do a short hike today. I am less wise and agitated for a proper epic but he prevailed. THANK GOD.

A fine day ensued, starting with eerily empty streets reminiscent of apocalyptic scenes but relaxing into a typical drive out through the valley. Good cheer was to be had, and great tunes to pass the time. Otto sulked in the back since he'd been promised walkies.

Having passed through the tranquil luminescent fog of the valley we turned off and made a beeline for a quick 2nd breakfast (because…hobbits) and then entered the destination valley. It was idyllic at *this* time of day. Silent and lush, with a river dancing down its heart.
The FSR was no problem as we avoided the lurking traps (particularly the collapsed section with a rather big drop off beneath it) and some fine lumberjacks had cut a couple of huge logs blocking the way. After a time, we arrived, as one does.

Stretching, we admired the super steep mossy rockfall we had to immediately ascend. A promising start. A promise which was kept as the hike proved lovely, rambling over various terrains with fine views all about. In the distance darker clouds loomed, gathering their thunder, but for the moment fluffy tendrils floated by overhead. Having clambered up the initial steep portion and rambled along the ridge overlooking the Fraser Valley, we cut across the mixed rock and snow slopes of McGuire to find an easy way up. And up we were.

A peal of thunder kicked us off the peak - it was due in 1-3 hours (that storm) - so we scurried down to have lunch in a less exposed 'come and get me' area, then headed off.

This is where things got a little interesting, with one little twist after another.

The idyllic valley we had passed through in the morning was no longer. In its stead a war zone, with volleys of rifle fire punctuated by what could only be a cannon. Should have worn more (some) red. We'd heard tales of hikers returning to their vehicles to find them shot up. Partway down the steep muddy slope with fragile shrubberies that proved useless as support, the thunder came in and along with it, rain. Only an outrider rain as it turned out, but rain enough to make everything more slippery and to start soaking us. Several falls occurred. Then as we made it to the steep mossy rockfall, the next level of rain arrived and made it all so much harder and wetter. So wet.

Then Otto started snapping his head towards the forest to our left and barking in a surprisingly deep bark I didn't know he had. Was this Doggie Tourettes, my comfort loving cowichan sweater wearing dog having finally lost it, each bark an angry WTF? Or a warning that we were being hunted by a deadly predator? We hurried as best we could, carrying him down the trickiest bits and keeping him close as he is morsel sized.

As we arrived at the truck, a great stroke of lightning smote the earth, lighting the dark clouds above us, and the heavens opened up. Truly it was worthy of Noah. With (manly) yelps we frantically changed out of our sodden clothes into dry and leaped into the car to sip our end of hike ciders.

Outside the wind thrashed the woods and drove the river strength rain against the side of the car like hammers. At this point I thanked Guntis for prevailing as my trip would have seen us 10-15 km out from the car and atop peak #2 or 3 at about this time.

We headed off, roaring down the craggy FSR along with a newly formed river.

Partway down we almost got into a head-on with another truck barreling up the trail. We reversed and found a place we could just barely squeeze past each other, each truck partly in the bushes. I was on the cliff side but trusted in my grippy tires and expert placement. Oddly the driver didn't turn his head to acknowledge my wave as he passed by inches away. Curious, I thought. When Guntis got back into the truck he said the driver told him he was 'going up to go and practice his chainsawing'. In a biblical deluge. With lightning tearing the sky into pieces and relentless gunfire filling the air. 20km up an obscure FSR, having passed by 20km of perfectly good practice trees.

This was quite obviously the excuse of a psychotic chainsaw murderer with a body in the back. Otto had probably been barking at newly dug graves. With no further word spoken, in a grim silence, 'Far From Any Road' playing, we drove on through these the end of times but at a terrifically increased pace, certain nonetheless that we would see his black hearse of a truck appear in the rear-view mirror, his hand wielding a chainsaw thrust out towards the lightning filled sky.

Somehow we made it out, and after a fine Burgoo meal with Kristen the hike conclusion seems a distant dream.

STATS

Road: 15.5km, 1360m gain
Hike: 8km return, 980m cumulative elevation gain

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	McGuire_Route.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	150226  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0083.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	150234  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0082.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	150242  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0081.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	150250  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0074.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	150258  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0064.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	150266  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0060.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	150274  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0052.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	150282  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0047.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	150290  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0034.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	150298  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0021.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	470.1 KB
ID:	150306  

Name:	McGuire_20160718_0019.jpg
Views:	1639
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	150314  

Kanike, solo75, muskeeto and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

That's washout weather!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Well, at least Otto found his way into one picture. : )

I wasn't so smart and got caught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking (obviously), snowshoeing, backpacking

I don't think there are words for the quality of this trail report, lol. So good, especially the spotting of the new Leatherface haha. Nice updates on road and trail conditions too.
guntis likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Well, at least Otto found his way into one picture. : )

I wasn't so smart and got caught.
For John,

and a bonus!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	628.5 KB
ID:	150338  

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	677.4 KB
ID:	150346  

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	633.8 KB
ID:	150354  

John and Katie likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
For John...
Okay, now that is a TR I can 'like'. : )
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

ha ha...nice....that's some crazy rain
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:54 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Great trip report! Thank you for posting the map.
McGuire has been on my to-do list for quite a while.
Now I wonder if there are new washouts after the rain like this.

Reunite Pangea!
Together we can change the world!
Literally.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:36 AM
Summit Master

sounds about right
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Read this great report and decided to take yesterday off and go for a walk. Great hike, incredible views when the clouds were out of the way. Photos are on the Cloud https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlY-0Ky_164DlxRBszDlwvCOw4QL

@ Guntis, thanks for the GPS Track & Footprints :-)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page