• 2 Post By Lenagen
  • 1 Post By martin
  • 1 Post By Lenagen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: hiking, climbing, travel, skiing
Default Crown Mountain hike July 10, 2016

We hiked Crown mountain trail last Sunday with kids 9 and 10 y.o. The hike is about 10 km return from the top of Grouse mountain with ~780 m cumulative elevation gain. We hiked a BCMC trail up or bought gondola tickets for kids to get to the Alpine trail head behind the grizzly bear habitat on Grouse mountain. We completed the trail in 7 hours as expected. The first half of the trail was easy - it is the same alpine trail leading to the Little Goat Mountain. Watch for the signs and do not hesitate to ask other hikers for directions as it is easy to miss the turn to the Crown Mountain. There are still some large patches of snow on the ridge and a lot of mud on the trail, so gaters would be good to have for this hike. The second half of the trail involves a steep descent with chains and a steep ascent involving some non-technical scramble (no belay equipment is required). The final scramble to the summit was actually easier expected. It was fun exploring the summit of Crown mountain. Below are some pictures from the hike. The views from the summit are a bit underwhelming due to foggy conditions. You should plan this hike for a sunny day if you want to get the best of views.

simonc and Great_Blue_Heron like this.

Last edited by Lenagen; 07-14-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: pictures did not get uploaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

I wonder why my pictures from Google.photos using their share links did not get uploaded. Thanks.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Summit Master

Lenagen:

It seems CT software doesn't like share links. There is easier way: just right click on image in google photos, then "copy image location" and paste that as image URL here.

For instance - from my google photos using same process:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for the tip, zeljkok! Copying image locations from google.photos worked for me. I heard that Google disabled re-sharing its google.photos using its links. Oh, well..at least there is a way around it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Nice, we were up in that area on Sunday as well, I think we may have crossed paths near Crown Pass. Did you run into the guy in the flip flops? When I heard there was a rescue up there on Sunday I thought it might have been that guy. Glad the clouds cleared up a bit for you guys!
Lenagen likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I see a large collection of photos.

Thanks for posting this, nice to see this area without snow. Only done it once, and that was with snow.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Nice, we were up in that area on Sunday as well, I think we may have crossed paths near Crown Pass. Did you run into the guy in the flip flops? When I heard there was a rescue up there on Sunday I thought it might have been that guy. Glad the clouds cleared up a bit for you guys!
Flip flops? No way! This is nuts. No we have not seen him... I bet he turned back at a first large snow patch on the ridge long before reaching a Crown pass...
I actually saw a comment on Vancouver trails by the guy who got rescued from Crown mountain last Sunday. He fell on the snow patch and then got lost on the descent. We did not have any issues walking on the snow patches without crampons. I wish I had gaiters on, as there was lots of mud on the trail...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
I see a large collection of photos.

Thanks for posting this, nice to see this area without snow. Only done it once, and that was with snow.

K
There are still some patches of snow on the trail, but not enough to warrant crampons. Snow can make this trail way more difficult.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Your kids must be quite intrepid hikers since that hike is listed as difficult.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
Your kids must be quite intrepid hikers since that hike is listed as difficult.
Our kids hiked Black Tusk, Panorama Ridge and Wedge Mount hikes as daily hikes with us over the last three years. I felt almost as tired as after these much longer hikes, but this is likely because we also hiked BCMC trail to the Crown mountain trail head. Kids rode a gondola and showed no signs of fatigue. The trail is fairly short and the second half is actually easy. We all rode a gondola down to the parking lot. Overall it was not bad at all, just a bit hard on the toes from all the scrambles.
Dac-van likes this.

Last edited by Lenagen; 07-18-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page