Phalanx-Spearhead-Blackcomb Traverse - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ecarter1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Phalanx-Spearhead-Blackcomb Traverse

While skiing on the Spearhead Glacier earlier this winter I noticed a nice ridge coming down from The Spearhead. Nick and I headed back up there last week hoping to find something similar to Blackcomb Buttress. We ran up the Blackcomb service road to the Blackcomb Glacier and then turned up scree slopes to gain the West Ridge of Phalanx. From the top of Phalanx, we headed South down the ridge on loose rock to the top of the Husume Couloir.

The money section was from Husume up to The Spearhead on a sometimes quite knife edged ridge with a bit of down climbing. Less vertical gain than the Buttress but longer and slightly more difficult climbing but quite fun!

From the top of The Spearhead we cruised low angle scree over to the summit of Blackcomb and then bombed down Lakeside Bowl.

GPS Track
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1998.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	453.1 KB
ID:	145418  

Name:	IMG_1990.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	521.1 KB
ID:	145426  

Name:	IMG_1987.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	641.1 KB
ID:	145434  

Name:	IMG_1982.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	145442  

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	145450  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

"From the top of Phalanx, we headed South down the ridge on loose rock to the top of the Husume Couloir." I did that route about 40 years ago, and I remember that the mass wasting scar on Phalanx that I believe you have in your third photo was very loose and the deposit from the event was on top of the ice in Corona Bowl. Was that section any less stable than the rest of the ridge when you did it recently?

As well, if you're heading through Body Bag Bowl anytime this summer and happen to see a lone, strapless, BD carbon adjustable pole, please give me a shout. Lost it there in December 2015 and last time through it hadn't melted out yet...

Fun is where you make it...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Continuing along the ridge that heads NW from the summit of Blackcomb, towards the Horstman Hut, through the so called "Broken Towers" (I think that is what some people call them), is also fun with some good exposure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

"the so called "Broken Towers" or the Dragon's Back as it was called many year's ago. Good fun...

Fun is where you make it...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Continuing along the ridge that heads NW from the summit of Blackcomb, towards the Horstman Hut, through the so called "Broken Towers" (I think that is what some people call them), is also fun with some good exposure.
That's how I've finished the buttress a few times and is fun though more scree at the end. We were tempted by the boot glissade into Lakeside Bowl and it was worth it!

@msulkers - no poles - just several dollars worth of change on the runs... It all seemed a bit loose in that area for sure but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary for what I'd expect on that terrain.
msulkers likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page