Widgeon Lake to Mamquam Valley - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
adm
Scaling New Heights

Default Widgeon Lake to Mamquam Valley

This trip was initially intended to be a traverse from Widgeon Lake to Darling Lake with DanielJ, however, due to an injury in my foot we ended the trip in the Mamquam Valley, exiting out via Mamquam Pass and the heinous E-100 FSR into the valley. Despite the abrupt end and bad weather near the end, this trip was highly successful and a great adventure close to Vancouver.

Hopefully when my foot heals later in the summer Dan and I will attempt the northern part of the traverse, from Pinecone Lake to Darling Lake.

I took quite a few photos and it was hard to narrow it down so it will come in two parts.

Part 1: Widgeon Lake to "Upper Coquitlam Lake"

Day 1: Peneplain

We got dropped at the east end of Widgeon Lake at 930 on Saturday June 4. Within the first hour we would be off course and Dan made our first and only rappel of the trip. We took the wrong drainage from the lake and battled our way back to the proper route where we were greeted by a black bear and a massive waterfall pouring over raw granite slabs.

Once back on track we battled to the south ridge of Peneplain with 8 days worth of food in our bags. We were travelling fairly light so both bags came under 40 lbs. but it was still a struggle to gain the alpine. Sketchy scrambling and steep rotten snow brought us up to the south sub peak of Peneplain and then some stiff 3rd class scrambling brought us to the summit, around 7 hours after leaving the lake.

View of Widgeon from the summit of Peneplain.

I napped on the summit only to be awoken by the constant buzz of helicopters. We left the summit around 5PM, dropping down the west side and then traversing to the north ridge.

Dan descending the north ridge from the summit.

We followed this broken ridge (a common them in this area) to a 1600m knoll NW of Widgeon Lake where we made our first camp.

Sunset over Peneplain and Coquitlam from camp.

The classic Howay and RR shot at sunset, this time just a bit closer.

The Five Fingers Group from camp.

I slept under a massive gnarled krumholtz that must have been ancient, and Dan slept on a heather bench under the stars. A great first day and night on the divide.

Day 2: Sharkfin to Consolation Dome

We wake early with the sun and eat some breakfast. For some reason I cant do oatmeal anymore, even when it is 50% brown sugar, pecans, and chocolate. Anyway, we head out to the peak to our east and directly north of the lake in search of some views and a wreckage we heard rumours of. We got grand views of Golden Ears peaks and Pitt Lake, but the wreckage was still under plenty of snow.

Views down to Pitt Lake.

We did stumble upon a neat old prospecting camp under a large boulder. They had built up some small rockwalls and shovels, picks, and pans were left resting behind.

We found this hiding under another large boulder atop a knoll on the ridge. (Add that to the 4 balloons we found on the trip!)

We returned to our bags and began our day moving along the ridge. What appeared from a distance to be troublesome snow slopes below the Sharkfin were easily bypassed along heather ramps at there base.

Traversing snow just past the Sharkfin.

We bypassed the Sharkfin and hiked instead to the highpoint of the ridge for some views of the peak. Bivouac incorrectly lists this highpoint as the summit of Sharkfin (I think). From here we continued up and down, traversing snow slopes, passing numerous frozen lakes, arriving at the base of Obelisk Peak.

Dan along the ridge.

Below Obelisk Peak.

We climbed easy snow slopes and rock to the summit for great views of the divide and the Five Fingers Group to the north.

We left the summit and took a break at the bags. We finally dragged ourselves up and made the final drop and climb to Consolation Dome where we made our second camp.

We pitched Dan’s tarp for some shade on an outcrop south of the summit, where we rested and feasted for a bit. Views over to the Five Fingers were superb, and looked like a great objective for tomorrow.

Hiding from the sun atop Consolation Dome.

Dan on top of the Dome checking out tomorrow's route.

After lounging for a bit we headed over to Mount Lou. It was a quick scramble and some snow climbing to reach the still heavily corniced summit. I was hoping to find the old summit register on the peak but it was still buried under the heavy snow pack.

Heading to the summit with Coquitlam Mtn and Peneplain back right.

On the summit of Mount Lou looking east. Consolation Dome on the left and Coquitlam Lake on the right.

Five Fingers Group from Mount Lou. Our route takes that beautiful snow ramp below the Fore Finger.

We returned to camp and enjoyed another spectacular sunset over Garibaldi and Mamquam Massifs and peaks stretching from Mount Pitt to Robie Reid and the northern Cascades.

Looking back on our route from camp 2 at sunset.

Sunset over the Tantalus, Garibaldi, Mamquam and the northern stretches of our intended route.

Cool clouds and evening light on Judge Howay.

Sunset on Garibaldi and Mamquam.

Day 3: Five Fingers Group

We packed up our camp early and headed up and over Consolation Dome, dropping down on a perfect snow ramp below The Fore Finger. Here we left our bags and geared up to climb the peak. We startled a family of psychotic goats, with a very young kid, who struggled to keep up to its parents as they climbed vertically away from us. We climbed The Fore Finger and Dan climbed the small sub summit just south of the peak. I dubbed it The Wart. The views of Middle Finger were great, but unfortunately we could not drop down to the col to reach the SW ridge.

Dan scopes out the potential route to the col.

We returned to our bags and dropped around the north side of the Fore Finger. We dropped our bags again and climbed low angle snow to the Middle Finger-Fore Finger col. We saw the goats again here, dragging their kid up a crack in the NW Face of the Middle Finger. An initially bushy scramble led to fine rock and heather ledges to an awesome summit!

Standing on the summit of Middle Finger!

We found a BCMC register on the summit with one entry from 2009. There was an old compass on the summit as well.

View of Pitt Lake from the summit. The Thumb is in the foreground.

We hung out here for a while and then began the descent to our bags.

Back at the bags, the same family of goats entertained us on another ledge as we snacked on salami and cheese. The kid was unsuccessfully trying to get up off a ledge for more than 20 minutes. Unfortunately they were too far away to get any decent photos. We packed up and headed off and I still don’t know if that kid got off that ledge…I hope our presence did not disturb them too much.

We were aiming to reach the lake we had named “Upper Coquitlam Lake” for our third camp so we packed up and headed north down the divide.

Dan enroute following the Five Fingers section. We took the snow ramp down just right of the Fore Finger (double summit). We had to loop around and up to the MF/FF col to reach the Middle Finger's SW ridge.

We headed up and down over three substantial sub –peaks along the ridge and past numerous lakes and waterfalls. The route was often bushy and cliffed out easily but we reached the lake by 730 PM.

One last close view of the Five Fingers from the sub-alpine before we dropped down thick forest to the low point of our trip.

The old growth was fantastic, but the bush took a while to warm too. I took a dip in the lake and we cooked up some dinner. I pitched my tent for the first time this night as we were expecting a bit of bad weather, although none would come for a few days.

This lake was our low point and represented our exit from the northern Coquitlam – Pitt Divide. We were now venturing into the alpine of Bonnycaslte and Meslilloet Mountains and onto the headwaters of the Mamquam River.

A great exploration of the northern section of the Coquitlam-Pitt Divide, managing to climb six peaks along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05600.jpg
Views:	2534
Size:	706.1 KB
ID:	141650  

Name:	DSC05591.jpg
Views:	2414
Size:	577.8 KB
ID:	141658  

Name:	DSC05584.jpg
Views:	2550
Size:	758.7 KB
ID:	141666  

Name:	DSC05569.jpg
Views:	3181
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	141674  

Name:	DSC05562.jpg
Views:	5303
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	141682  

Name:	DSC05864.jpg
Views:	2144
Size:	798.8 KB
ID:	141690  

Name:	DSC05828.jpg
Views:	2225
Size:	741.4 KB
ID:	141698  

Name:	DSC05786.jpg
Views:	2178
Size:	741.6 KB
ID:	141706  

Name:	DSC05773.jpg
Size:	779.0 KB
ID:	141714  

Name:	DSC05761.jpg
Views:	2218
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	141722  

Name:	DSC05721.jpg
Views:	2308
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	141730  

Name:	DSC05711.jpg
Views:	2336
Size:	714.5 KB
ID:	141738  

Name:	DSC05710.jpg
Views:	2359
Size:	700.7 KB
ID:	141746  

Name:	DSC05703.jpg
Views:	2342
Size:	698.9 KB
ID:	141754  

Name:	DSC05687.jpg
Views:	2079
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	141762  

Name:	DSC05684.jpg
Views:	2411
Size:	781.3 KB
ID:	141770  

Name:	DSC05678.jpg
Views:	2461
Size:	911.7 KB
ID:	141778  

Name:	DSC05666.jpg
Views:	2395
Size:	963.9 KB
ID:	141786  

Name:	DSC05664.jpg
Views:	2386
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	141794  

Name:	DSC05648.jpg
Views:	2360
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	141802  

Name:	DSC05645.jpg
Views:	2437
Size:	866.1 KB
ID:	141810  

Name:	DSC05640.jpg
Views:	2434
Size:	841.1 KB
ID:	141818  

Name:	DSC05618.jpg
Views:	2486
Size:	1,004.7 KB
ID:	141826  

Name:	DSC05617.jpg
Views:	2391
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	141834  

Name:	DSC05607.jpg
Views:	2439
Size:	698.1 KB
ID:	141842  

Last edited by adm; 06-12-2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Needed Editing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
adm
Scaling New Heights

Default Part Two: Upper Coquitlam Lake to Mamquam Valley

Part two of a trip from Widgeon Lake to Mamquam Valley begins at Upper Coquitlam Lake, the low point of our traverse and the end of the Coquitlam-Pitt Divide proper.

Day 4: ‘Upper Coquitlam Lake’ to ‘Cliff-bound Lake’

We woke late and lounged in the old growth, not breaking camp until 10 AM. We walked around the lake on its west side for 10 minutes and then headed up boulder fields to gain a drainage coming down off the ridge where we hoped there would be a weakness.

It took us nearly 4 hours to climb 400 meters out of the lake and less than 1 horizontal km.

It took a while to reach this creek surrounded by old growth forest!

Finally, a view from the ridge: Dan looks out over Old Pierre and Remote area across the Pitt River Valley.

When we dropped back down to a small mossy plateau covered in small lakes and crystal clear waters we stripped down and lounged in the sun, eating like kings: meat, cheese, and potato chips !

Food fit for royalty!

The mossy lakes which would make a grand campsite.

From here we followed a ridge system past two small lakes east of Meslilloet Mountain to a large cliff bound lake NW of the summit. We camped at the low col before Meslilloet’s east ridge with grand views down the valley to Bonnycastle.

Looking down to our last campsite, at the low point just above the large lake on the right.

If we had good weather the following morning we would attempt Bonnycastle from here. We lit a small fire on our granite outcrop and pitched our tents as the sky was beginning to cloud over.

Dinner every other night: pasta with chorizo, proscuitto, mushrooms, tomatoes, and all the cheese one could long for.

Enjoying a smal campfire below Meslilloet Mtn.

Sunset from our last alpine camp.

Day 5: Meslilloet Mountain

We woke to somewhat clear skies, but it looked like it would change soon. We weren’t set up properly to wait out a storm so we left Bonnycastle and headed for Meslilloet.

Bonnycastle from camp in the morning.

The glacier here is awesome and is quite large for being so far south and so low in elevation! We crossed the eastern section to the ridge north of Meslilloet’s summit block.

The eastern half of the glacier.

We dropped our bags here and headed for the summit across the glacier.

Gearing up for the summit.

Nearing the final scramble.

The final summit block was class 3 and it started to rain just as I reached the summit. It was a great summit with awesome views of our entire route and down to Indian Arm and the Lower Mainland.

Steep scrambling near the summit.

Dan tagged the summit and we headed back in increasingly bad weather.

Dan on the summit.

View south from Meslilloet summit.

One last look down Meslilloet Creek from the north ridge of Meslilloet Mountain before dropping from the alpine for good.

The north ridge is scattered with large cairns and claim posts and has some cool geology. We continued down to two lakes north of the summit and set up camp in the rain.

Day 6: Log Jam Lake

We wasted this day away playing cards and and an Evil level Sudoku. It was rainy and gross, but were kept entertained by sucker windowns and waterfowl. This was the first day we saw no goats!

Log Jam Lake with a brief weather window at sunset.

Day 7: Mamquam Pass to the Valley

The weather was worse today than yesterday, but we decided to head out, down the E-100 and to the Mamquam Valley.

We reached Mamquam Pass via the ridge north of Log Jam Lake where there is an open meadowy pass, studded with ancient old growth. The trees are massive in the sub-alpine below pollen peak and the stumps along November Creek are testament to some of the giants that once dominated this valley.

Dan elected to head up Pollen Peak in the clouds while I joined up with the Boise Trail (or what is left) and followed it through a clearcut, across November Creek to the E-100 FSR. This road is evil and extremely over grown and choked with alder. I do not recommend going this way except in winter. The Boise Trail and Fool’s Gold Route seem to be hard to access at the moment.

The clear cuts along the E-100 are massive and a sad reminder that we are back near civilization.

I waited for Dan at the junction and then hobbled down to the Mainline where my girlfriend Lindsay was waiting at the washout at Bridge 5 for us. She had received our non-emergency Spot and was fully kitted up and ready to come grab us. The first time in 3 years I have pressed that button!

Despite the weather at the end and the early end due to a stress fracture in my foot, the trip was a grand success in a remote and wild area that sees few visitors!

Hopefully we will be able to complete the northern section (Pinecone Lake to Darling Lake) and southern sections (Coquitlam Mtn to Widgeon Lake) some time this year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06121.jpg
Views:	2152
Size:	816.9 KB
ID:	141850  

Name:	DSC06064.jpg
Views:	2076
Size:	807.0 KB
ID:	141858  

Name:	DSC06054.jpg
Views:	2071
Size:	769.8 KB
ID:	141866  

Name:	DSC06053.jpg
Views:	2043
Size:	793.6 KB
ID:	141874  

Name:	DSC06046.jpg
Views:	2030
Size:	688.5 KB
ID:	141882  

Name:	DSC06030.jpg
Views:	2067
Size:	967.8 KB
ID:	141890  

Name:	DSC06017.jpg
Views:	2027
Size:	683.4 KB
ID:	141898  

Name:	DSC06008.jpg
Views:	2086
Size:	826.4 KB
ID:	141906  

Name:	DSC05996.jpg
Views:	2062
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	141914  

Name:	DSC05982.jpg
Views:	2042
Size:	884.1 KB
ID:	141922  

Name:	DSC05974.jpg
Views:	2005
Size:	957.8 KB
ID:	141930  

Name:	DSC05959.jpg
Views:	2055
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	141938  

Name:	DSC05947.jpg
Views:	2083
Size:	860.9 KB
ID:	141946  

Name:	DSC05916.jpg
Views:	2258
Size:	945.5 KB
ID:	141954  

Name:	DSC05913.jpg
Views:	2142
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	141962  

Name:	DSC05904.jpg
Views:	2106
Size:	1,016.9 KB
ID:	141970  

Name:	DSC05900.jpg
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	141978  

Last edited by adm; 06-12-2016 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Text
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Great stuff! Good job and really nice photos. Can't wait to hear the full story some time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

bummer about the foot right before summer...good way to go out though..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Inspiring TR!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Exellent post, thanks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:25 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, biking, being outdoors

Most inspiring post about what's north of my town, Coquitlam. Congratulations. This has amazed me.
adm likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:28 AM
Hittin' the Trails

One of my favourites I've read in a while. Nice job!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Scaling New Heights

Epic!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

good trip
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 01:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Woah!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Congratulations on a great trip! I really enjoyed reading your report.
adm likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

That picture (2nd shot, from Peneplain) of Widgeon Lake is a beauty.

I'm guessing your plan for Darling Lake involved Bucklin and Cotard along with some Pinecone peaks?
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
adm
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonc View Post
That picture (2nd shot, from Peneplain) of Widgeon Lake is a beauty.

I'm guessing your plan for Darling Lake involved Bucklin and Cotard along with some Pinecone peaks?
Thanks! Surprisingly it was the only shot of the lake I took, was trying to conserve battery on the first day, but one battery on the sony a5000 lasted 650 photos!

We've both climbed most of the Pinecone Peaks, but I wanted to get up the unnamed summit E of Pinecone Peak and then yes, we were heading to Cotard and then Bucklin valley, hoping to finish either via an ascent of south ridge of Mamquam or just go to Darling and SW glacier route on Mamquam and attempt Darling Pk as well. We had food stashed near Seed Peak. Alas, it was not meant to be for now.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

What an awesome epic trip. Lots of beautiful and stunning photos.

I really like your lounge space, nice to have a roof over your head; rain or shine.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page