Harrison Lake Long island Campsite fouled - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thumbs down Harrison Lake Long island Campsite fouled

If you have power boat access Harrison Lake, and are willing to do some hazmat work to clean up what was a nice campsite but is now fouled, please read on. If you want to know just how sick some people can be--read on.

We just returned from a lovely canoe trip on Harrison Lake. Launching from town, we paddled along the west side and then crossed to Long Island. About half way up the island, we entered a large bay. Directly across the entrance is what used to be a wonderful little campsite, with a little beach, a kitchen table and nearby biffy.

I say used to be, because what we saw when we got there disgusted us. Somehow 50 people seem to have used the kitchen table and attached bench as a commode.

"What?" you say.

I know. A commode.

We used our spare paddle (now called "that shitty paddle"), to scrape off all the toilet paper and as much of the waste as possible, dumped (now there's the operative word) it in the fire pit and set it all alight. After dousing the embers, we rolled the fire pit off to the side and emptied the contents.

I know, not the best solution, but given that we wanted to camp there, and that we had no hazmat gear, that seemed to be the best choice. At least the stench was gone.

That table is currently unusable and should be carefully burned or dismantled and disposed of. There is another smaller one that we used.

If you know people with a power boat who might be willing to help with the cleanup-replacing process, please let me know and I will contact them. It's a nice spot for paddlers and I would like to help restore it.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Harrison lake with Tree Planter's camp.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	139802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Harrison lake with Tree Planter's camp closeup.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	139810  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:21 AM
Summit Master

something similar happened to cypress point site east stave lake years ago, shit show
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

MAN..............That is so disgusting.

What is with the people.. have they no respect and love for keeping the outdoors well for the rest of us

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:37 AM
Banned

These pigs have an undeserved sense of entitlement.
The problem is that they show up and pull this kind of nonsense, then the "decent" folk become enraged and launch well-intentioned clean-up campaigns so that the following week, the pigs return to the scene of their crimes and it has all been nicely restored for them to trash again.
The ONLY way it is going to end, is to have one or two groups caught in the act and have them CRUCIFIED by means of exorbitant fines...you know, the "minimum $2000" would be a good start.
Unfortunately, with only a handful of CO's in the PROVINCE (Thank you BC Liberals!) the chances of getting caught, especially at such a remote location, is non-existent.

The only TRUE deterrent would be an open season on these throwbacks.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Banned

This certainly sucks. Your maps are labelled with "treeplanter camps". Are you implicating them? If so you should be able to find out who they were working for etc... I'd be sending pics to media outlets in the Fraser Valley and beyond.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
This certainly sucks. Your maps are labelled with "treeplanter camps". Are you implicating them? If so you should be able to find out who they were working for etc... I'd be sending pics to media outlets in the Fraser Valley and beyond.
No, absolutely not.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page