• 3 Post By ashi
  • 2 Post By Ryan.in.yaletown
  • 1 Post By Shade

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling
Default Mt. Ronayne - May 21-22, 2016

You know there’s a May long weekend coming up when your local MEC is jam-packed with customers, loading up on camping gear and supplies, on a Wednesday evening. May long weekend holds a special place in our hearts; it sort of kicks off the camping/hiking season and, like bears, we come out of our hibernation and head outdoors to soak up the warm sun and bright blue skies over the course of not two, but THREE days. Not this weekend though, forecast showed rain, snow, overcast skies, and cool temps for most of it.

Long weekends around Vancouver can be a little problematic. In my experience, they bring crowds of people to all corners between Manning Park and Pemberton (and beyond). If weather is the slightest bit iffy, you can expect crowds at all the major huts/shelters. Based on the combo of a location the regular crowd likely hasn’t heard of, a long drive, and questionable road conditions (possible snow, downed trees, etc.), Ryan and I decided to head to the Birkenhead area to check out Mt. Ronayne.

We hiked Mt. Ronayne via a modified version of the ‘Corkscrew Route’. From the head of the Tenas Creek valley, we continued up the main drainage on the west side of Ronayne, curved back south to cross a high col in the alpine, and continued up the southern ridge to the summit block. The standard Corkscrew goes from the col to the south bowl, along the east ridge and gains the summit from there.

Click here for full details, conditions, and pics: http://www.ashikaparsad.com/2016/05/...nhead-area-bc/

We’ll be back here for more views and different vantage points. Sun God and Seven O’Clock are on the list, as is the Tenquille-Owl traverse.

Thanks for reading!
guntis, KARVITK and another jeff like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Looks like you two had a great time!! I can't wait to get out that way this summer, thanks for the taste of the area!

The best signature ever
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinabc123 View Post
Looks like you two had a great time!! I can't wait to get out that way this summer, thanks for the taste of the area!
Thanks Andrew! I highly recommend adding it to your list . Check out the traverse I mentioned over to Tenquille.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 12:59 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

Oh I love the tent photo! Glorious Glad you guys got out there Sun God and Seven O'Clock are fantastic...don't miss Cerulean Lake!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Another beautiful trip.

I also love that lighted up tent photo; that one is my favourite. That is one awesome photo.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Summit Master

It was great to get up there again after so much time, and actually get (a few) views from the summit.

The full mood really threw off the night shots - I was at first pretty disappointed we couldn't get any starry sky shots, but the bright clouds and snow still looked cool with the tent lit up.

I guess with some work being done in the valley some (most) of the waterbars were taken out... those that remain are deep and steep enough that HC is quite useful, but the road itself is great. And as Ashika mentioned, can drive all the way in now, so an early start to the season for sure.

Looking forward to getting back there soon to do Sun God and Seven O'Clock (again) and check out the Owl-Tenquille traverse, etc.

-Ryan
KARVITK and ashi like this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks Karl!

Masiar, thanks! Photo cred. goes to Ryan . I will add them to the never ending list lol.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

Ditto on 'Love the tent photo' Very nice.
ashi likes this.

If I don't try, I've already failed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page