New and old bridge crossings over Gold Creek - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to brett
Default New and old bridge crossings over Gold Creek

Last Saturday was a beautiful day. Looking for something easy to do, I decided to hike up the East Canyon Trail in Golden Ears Park with some friends and have a look at the new footbridge crossing over Gold Creek. We were also curious as to where the, now long gone, Burma bridge crossing was. Using S. Werner's photograph in the original 103 Hikes as a reference, and assuming the large creek boulders wouldn't have budged over the decades, we attempted to locate old crossing site. However, we were unsuccessful in doing so.

Would any CT members have GPS coords of the Burma bridge crossing site, or any photos of the Burma bridge they would like to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:08 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Brett. The Burma bridge site is at least 100m upstream of the new bridge. To access, cross the new bridge to the west bank. Continue N/W on the new trail. Look carefully, about 15m into the forest to the right, for the faint, rotting remnants of an old boardwalk. It is easy to miss, as it blends into the forest floor. Its not far from the new bridge - maybe 25m to 100m. You'll see a small section, but once into the woods, you'll find this large section. Follow it and remnants of old trail to the site.

Look for old cable at the site. They girdled the anchor trees to death when they wrapped the cables; but this old cable wrapped snag remains on the west bank.

This shot across the creek is from the old snag. If you don't hit the creek at the right spot, maybe you'll recognize these rocks to see how far off you are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	burma2.jpg
Views:	2591
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	108594  

Name:	burma.jpg
Views:	2546
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	108602  

Name:	burma3.jpg
Views:	2517
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	108610  

cutthroat22 and Crash like this.

Last edited by alhike; 11-25-2015 at 08:14 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to brett

Excellent! Thanks for the information and the photos Al. It's appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nice... always enjoy a little history. Burma Bridge has fascinated me as well.

K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

I remember crossing the Burma bridge about 30 years ago, ok maybe 35. I thought it was fun. I also remember hiking up good portions of Gold Creek right up the creek bed during low water. It would be nice to see a picture of the old Burma bridge if anyone has one.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for the info Al. I always thought the old Burma Bridge was located at the site of the new connector. I'm going to look for those old boards to locate the site. My neighbour (aged 84) walked the Burma years ago. She recalls it consisted of a single cable to walk on, 2 cables above for hand holding and cables along the way that looped from one hand cable down to the foot cable and back up to the other hand cable, for stability I guess.
I have an old map from 1978 which shows the position of the Burma. Am curious about the Burke falls, located above the upper falls and below the old burma bridge site on the map. Are you familiar with these falls?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayriley View Post
Thanks for the info Al. I always thought the old Burma Bridge was located at the site of the new connector. I'm going to look for those old boards to locate the site. My neighbour (aged 84) walked the Burma years ago. She recalls it consisted of a single cable to walk on, 2 cables above for hand holding and cables along the way that looped from one hand cable down to the foot cable and back up to the other hand cable, for stability I guess.
I have an old map from 1978 which shows the position of the Burma. Am curious about the Burke falls, located above the upper falls and below the old burma bridge site on the map. Are you familiar with these falls?
Yes, that's my recollection as well. You walked on one steel cable and then two more were about waist level or a bit higher for hand holds. Then there were smaller cables tying the three together. It seemed like fun at the time (I was about 18) but in reality there wasn't much to protect you from falling. I think it was only about 10 feet above the water so the fall wouldn't be too far. I wish I had a photo of it but I don't think so.

if you're not hiking you should be skiing
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 02:02 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I'm not familiar with the old Burma bridge, but the foundation of the new bridge looks like the site of an older bridge as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	foundation.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	499.6 KB
ID:	197649  

Last edited by martin; 04-12-2017 at 02:05 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:39 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
I'm not familiar with the old Burma bridge, but the foundation of the new bridge looks like the site of an older bridge as well.
According to Alhike the old Burma Bridge was located about 100 meters up from the new bridge. I must say when I first saw that old concrete structure I thought it was from the old bridge too. I'm guessing it had something to do with the logging days of yore. Anyone know?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Logging onto the site for the first time in quite a while, I find I have some info to offer Here is a photo of a print I was given few weeks ago of the original logging bridge. I think the original was taken either by Sam Saari from Webster's Corners or by Mr Pelto, the owner (I think) of P&J Logging. The photo was taken from the downstream, east bank of Gold Creek. The Golden Ears trail goes up and over the sharp knoll at the upper left of the photo.

The "Lower Falls" are on the park map. I don't know if it is Burke Falls. There is an upper falls, too, not far upstream but Parks discourages going there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	198210  

martin, EAK and Kris.Climber like this.

Last edited by alhike; 04-15-2017 at 08:03 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Aha! Looks like that old concrete structure supported the old old bridge for logging trucks to barrel across! Thanks for this photo, really interesting. Now, I have a map from 1978 which marks the lower falls, the upper falls, then Burke falls and finally the old Burma Bridge in ascending order. Tried to upload the map but it's too big. Have googled Burke falls but no info shows up. Was just curious if anyone has heard of them. On my map it looks like the "lookout" area on the west canyon trail is right across from these falls. I'm assuming the "lookout" is the spot where you can see Gold Creek from high up. You look up the creek from this spot. I'm going to try to look across the creek next time I'm up at the "lookout" to see if i can see any sign of these Burke falls! Trees may hamper the view however.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayriley View Post
Aha! Looks like that old concrete structure supported the old old bridge for logging trucks to barrel across! Thanks for this photo, really interesting. Now, I have a map from 1978 which marks the lower falls, the upper falls, then Burke falls and finally the old Burma Bridge in ascending order. Tried to upload the map but it's too big. Have googled Burke falls but no info shows up. Was just curious if anyone has heard of them. On my map it looks like the "lookout" area on the west canyon trail is right across from these falls. I'm assuming the "lookout" is the spot where you can see Gold Creek from high up. You look up the creek from this spot. I'm going to try to look across the creek next time I'm up at the "lookout" to see if i can see any sign of these Burke falls! Trees may hamper the view however.
I was under the impression that Burke Falls is the official name for Upper Falls, although I have heard other references to a third waterfall. Judging by Google Maps, it seems unlikely to be between Upper Falls and the bridge, since the river is fairly flat there. I've attached an image from my map showing the area that you might be able to match up to your map based on bends in the river.
I'd also love to see the 1978 map, maybe you could upload it to a site like Imgur if it's too big to attach here?

Alhike: After crossing the bridge to the west canyon side, the logging road curved towards Hikers Beach before turning up to Alder Flats (forming the old hiking route, and the "Descent into Madness" trail). Some old maps appear to indicate the logging road also went up along East Canyon as far as the 5km mark (past Hikers Beach) before crossing to the other side for a short distance. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gold-creek.png
Views:	270
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	198250  

Golden Ears Explorer
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for your interest dpogue. here's (hopefully) an image of the 1978 map, cropped to show the fallsClick image for larger version

Name:	img144 (2).jpg
Views:	232
Size:	754.4 KB
ID:	198466.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Some old maps appear to indicate the logging road also went up along East Canyon as far as the 5km mark (past Hikers Beach) before crossing to the other side for a short distance. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that?
Sorry, I don't know about that crossing.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Recent Visit

I was fortunate enough to stumble on to this discussion just before my trip out to BC and Golden Ears Park this summer. I was eager to take my family up Gold Creek and up to Golden Ears Peak. It's been many years since I was in the area. I frequented the area a lot in my younger days. I first hiked to the lower and upper falls in 1976 and although the intent that day was to hike to the Burma Bridge we never did. I did not actually find the Burma Bridge till 1979 only to have the park take it down later that same year. The Park's staff said it was becoming a hazard and a liability. I do not have a personal photo of the bridge but I have attached a scan from an old hiking guide book I still have. It gives you an idea of what it looked like. After the bridge was taken down my preferred crossing was at what is now called "hikers beach" about half a km upstream: as long as water levels permitted.

Name:	Burma Bridge.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	441.4 KB
ID:	245257
Name:  IMG_1537.jpg
Views: 1420
Size:  1.74 MB
The photos in this thread inspired me to do some exploring while I was in the park. I was curious what could be found on the other bank (east side). Not as much to be seen but I did find cable, some rotting board walk and faded trail (see photos attached). You cannot find it that easy from the East Canyon trail.

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	245273
Name:  IMG_1539.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  1.84 MB
Name:  IMG_1534a.JPG
Views: 1182
Size:  47.4 KB
The area has changed a lot since the late 70s; some natural change - washouts and forest growth - but a lot of change by very recent trail "improvements." The trail used to have a lot of character but now at the new crossing it is a wide groomed/gravelled path. What was once a skid road left by the loggers is now gone.

We hiked up to Golden Ears Peak and was amazed how much growth is now shading the trail (old logging road) from Alder Flats to the part that then goes up to the ridge. Too bad about the old hollow tree being cut down. Another thread talks about that. I was not impressed with the new shelter which looks half finished. Old cabin was better.

As for the comment/question on Burke Falls, I believe it was used to refer to the upper falls. There are only two sets of falls.
martin likes this.

Last edited by Kris.Climber; 01-05-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page