Tetrahedron Park - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
I cannot believe you actually took all that incredible looking food with you! If that's how you eat on your trips, I'm definitely going to join you in the new year

A great snow year .... good for skiing and good for our watersheds ... but that snowshoeing stuff, not so much . That's a quite steep trail up to Mt Steele cabin even in the summer
Welcome!

My overnight plan listed below, you are more than welcome to join:

Jan 9-Jan 10 Brew Hut 2 day overnight
Feb 6 - Feb 8 Brian Waddington Hut 3 days
March 25-27 Burton Hut 3 days

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
Curious what's the snowshoe brand/size you guys were using?
We only use MSR Evo/Revo Ascent or MSR Lightning Ascent. a lots of of us prefer 22inch over 25inch as they are more flexible.

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Gloria that is great! I still can't believe the amount of food you guys bring! Good for you for keeping this going all these years :-)

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~ John Burroughs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 11:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeGirl View Post
We only use MSR Evo/Revo Ascent or MSR Lightning Ascent. a lots of of us prefer 22inch over 25inch as they are more flexible.
I see. I use MSR Lighting Ascents too and always prefer 30' if I'm expecting lots of post-holing. I'm not a big guy neither (68 kg).

Ask Vlad or Alex, or my friends from the Rockies how they feel of post-holing on top of my tracks wearing the 25'. I've been using both 25' and 30' and I can tell there's a huge difference. I only trust the 25' for early November or spring time.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Skidooing ,cross country skiing, snow shoeing and plow snow.

Just came down from checking the road to Tet. It is UGLY 2 ft of new snow in last week on top of 1 foot of old frozen slush. People have been driving up in same ruts as last 50 cars making the road almost useless. many tree limbs and stuff on road people have been driving around. It took me 2 hours to clear stuff off most of the road to make it safer. There was some large trees down last week and who ever cleared them only cut a path through. Now these trees are coverd in snow and someone could drive over them and do damage. I only had a small hand saw and was by myself so could not deal with it. I was all chained up both axles tried to drive out of the ruts. was pushing snow with my bumper and headlights. Tried to drive up and down to widen the road. Got stuck up at lot high centerd on snow had to dog all snow out from under my all wheel drive Van.
Make sure you have shovels Hand saws tow straps and tire chains for all 4 wheels and use them. If you chain up it will help break up the ruts and make road more driveable. I use to plow the road but since a judge gave a guy a $750 fine for driving over 2 girls on a quad killing 1 instantly. A local family lost a daughter because of a idiot driving way to fast for logging roads. I have been run off the road many times in snow plow and my Van. I use to like plowing snow but some idiots driving to fast for gravel roads coverd in snow and ice have scared the shit out of me.
I heard there was around 10 ft of snow at Steele around 6 ft at Edwards. Snow is soft and not holding weight well so could be tough snow shoe in. Maybe best to use larger size or extentions etc.
Chain up drive slow be prepared to dig a parking spot or a place to pas other vehicles. If you get stuck up there NO Tow Truck is going to come Get you BCAA will not. If someone did come to tow you out it would be $500 or more. Have fun stay safe.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Firewood is very low at all cabins please only use is absolutely needed imagine each peice of wood is a 20 dollar bill. It will cost the Tet club around $10,000 to airlift firewood in by helicopter. This is a huge cost so please be very carefull not to waste it. The road is getting very narrow and soft easy to get stuck be prepared. Have fun stay safe
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Suicide hill was very iced up today, 1 guy in a pick up truck 4x4 with good winter tires was slidding backwards down hill out of control. He caught some gravel and ended up spinning around in a second. Very scray could have gone over the bank if not for guard rails. Have chains and use them 1 guy went over the bank there years ago and died dont want anymore
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: cycling

Which hill is suicide hill?
post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Suicide hill is the one with concrete guard rail and a cross ditch across the road. Many people left there SUVs at top of hill and got ride down to get chains and returned next day to get there rides. People with allseason tires were spinning wheels going up this polishes the road to ice. Chains are the safest way to travel the road.

On better Note snow is VERY deep up top anywhere from 6- 12 ft took a group 11 hours to make it o Steele on Sunday. Snow so deep and soft you sink 4-5 ft with snow shoes on. No Idea how back country skis are doing might be better. Firewood is very low at cabins. Use firewood only when needed. Do not load up stove and crank it. It is back country not a resort. Tough it out a bit dont need cabins at 70 degres. It costs alot to airlift wood in airllft will happen soon. But even after wood sent in use it very sencibly remember to pay for cabin fees and you can always donate more money. Upgrades to cabins is ongoing seal leaks new windows insulation etc.
Heard that road might get plowed once this year if needed. Enjoy have fun safety first
post #25 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

was stuck on the road to Tet from 9am yesterday till this afternoon road is very soft I have allwheel drive f2 sets of chains on and kept getting stuck had to walk out and go up with my Unimog and spent the day pulling others out just to get to my van I would not got past the roach Quary take shovels dirt and snow tow rope full tank of gas.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:27 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavecan View Post
was stuck on the road to Tet from 9am yesterday till this afternoon road is very soft I have allwheel drive f2 sets of chains on and kept getting stuck had to walk out and go up with my Unimog and spent the day pulling others out just to get to my van I would not got past the roach Quary take shovels dirt and snow tow rope full tank of gas.
thanks for heads up, based on your report we switched today's trip from tetrahedron to sea to sky....guess it's safe to say there's no plowing on the road being done anymore?

post #27 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Tet is still a great spot just best to park down the road a bit like the rock quary take shovels dig and good parking spot many people parking just on side of road which makes it very Narrow. Hard to get by. Snow on road is like sugar snow does not pack well no traction. Parking below makes it a bit longer hike but better then getting stuck all night.
mazeGirl and trick like this.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavecan View Post
Tet is still a great spot just best to park down the road a bit like the rock quary take shovels dig and good parking spot many people parking just on side of road which makes it very Narrow. Hard to get by. Snow on road is like sugar snow does not pack well no traction. Parking below makes it a bit longer hike but better then getting stuck all night.
Too bad, really. Tetrahedron is an exceptionally beautiful summer and winter mountain adventure area. The lower sunshine coast has so few good hiking and snowshoe trails compared to other South BC areas. When the Tet is difficult to access there's not much else.

Need some parks budget to keep that road in shape.

post #29 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

The Tet club is airlifting firewood to cabins need people at Edwards and Bachelor to move wood inside before it gets lost in snow. If can help out please contact tet club. Trying to work on getting the road plowed as now it is a safety issue. Please check Tets facebook page at Tetrahedron Outdoor. If you use the cabins and can help and plan a trip to help out please get involved.

The road might be getting plowed this weekend if all goes well. But please slow down and have chains ,full tank of gas shovels a tow strap and be prepared to help others stuck if you can.. If the road turns into a race corse with people not using chains it may not be plowed again.

Please share and post info of your trip so others can help plan theres. Have fun stay safe
post #30 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Working on Getting the Plow up and running Hope to be Plowing friday morning The Tet Clib is flying some Firewood into Edwards and Bachelor Cabins around 1pm Jan 8th Please use Chains when driving into the Tet. Even after Plowing road will be Icey. Some great pics from a new years trip are posted on Facebook "Tetrahedron Outdoor" page. Please use Firewood wisely. You dont need the woodstove cranked up and door wide open . Trails should be well packed down now. Have fun stay safe. Post some info.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page