8Likes
  • 8 Post By guntis

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things
Default Sigurd's Curse

Sigurd Peak - an adventure for 5th-7th level characters

Many years ago, and still 1st level, three novice adventurers attempted this peak. A late start found the hapless party struggling to interpret their new strange GPS devices. There were no trail markers and the trail was lost. Hands grasped at mocking shrubbery and the shifting earth caused frequent loss of footing. The new technology was of no assistance. The adventurers simply didn't have the intelligence or experience to use the tools. The poor souls became discouraged and turned back from the difficult quest.

Later, with some experience (likely 3rd level now), two of the three returned with hard earned strength and endurance. The steep trail was assaulted with effortless efficiency. But then, an unanticipated obstacle. Snow. Steep slopes. Sigurd had outmaneuvered the ill-equipped explorers. Lacking the necessary tools, the party turned back a second time.

Sep 26, 2015
Many adventures later, the two survivors returned to Sigurd's Peak. Somewhat slower, but certainly older and wiser. Early warning signs tried to scare off the intrepid adventurers, but they scoffed at these feeble attempts to dissuade them.

As they left their trusty steed at the trailhead, the ominous clouds opened up and delivered a steady downpour of cold rain.

Signs had been placed to lure the inexperienced into a false sense of security.

Terrifying life forms were witnessed on the approach, but the slow, steady pace brought the pair through the terrible forest.

The forest section completed, Sigurd lowered the temperature, and the mild rain turned to driving snow and wind.

Only when the two stalwart travellers hid behind a rock wall to avoid the wind did the sun come out. A hint of a reward was provided to those who turned back now.

"No!" they cried out, "we will not turn back!"

And with their newfound fortitude, the clouds broke and sun shone forth.

One does not conquer a mountain. One only gives thanks. Thus, prostrated worship was given at the summit cairn.

In return, views of the nearby environs were provided.

Returning, the party of two was even offered a fleeting glimpse of the rarely discussed summit ridge approach to Sigurd Peak.

Descending from the peak was a reminder of the steepness of the trail. Roots and mud conspired to catch the unwary, but accidents were avoided.

Only when the Weeping Wall was seen did the hiking travellers feel safe again.

Experience has taught us that mapping is helpful in case of a return journey.
  • 14.5km return (from trailhead - this is not including the Ashlu A200 spur if vehicle can't make it)
  • 1,950m cumulative elevation gain

Perhaps it was naive to think that Sigurd's Curse had been broken. A foot injury (possibly metatarsalgia) has subsequently sidelined Guntis for a few weeks.
Attached Images

Spunky, Dru, shrubhugger and 5 others like this.

Last edited by guntis; 10-03-2015 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 03:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Keep on sneaking in these late season trips! Sunshine, big puffy white clouds, results in a nice looking trip. Good looking waterfall shot.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 03:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

really enjoy your TR's , tongue+cheek and all

we did a little look-see on the trail in mid august, fueled by the ignorance of not having been up there since about 1980. The trail is much better in quality than it was back then,

We only made it a short ways as it was a quick recce, but still a worthy blast.

Loved your pics and am now motivated to give another try

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 06:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

A vain, yet glorious endeavour! How will stately Sigurd have the last laugh?

Fun is where you make it...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 09:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

An entertaining read. Looks 'John and Katie' friendly?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
An entertaining read. Looks 'John and Katie' friendly?
Absolutely. Probably more friendly to 4-legged hikers, to be honest . Trail is entirely non-technical hiking, just physically demanding.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
Trail is entirely non-technical hiking, just physically demanding.
Such a delightful it of understatement ... I'd add "sweat inducing, heart-pounding, thigh burning" and oh, yes, just about straight up!! Aaargh, my knees hurt coming down that beast

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 02:03 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Such a delightful it of understatement ... I'd add "sweat inducing, heart-pounding, thigh burning" and oh, yes, just about straight up!! Aaargh, my knees hurt coming down that beast
Second that.

No Curse really, but fact that experienced and fit hiker like guntis went 3 times is telling. I got it on 1st try, but I was very lucky with ideal conditions.

Considering the effort (~2000 vertical!) and alpine just last hour or so, my biggest regret now is making it day trip and returning the same way. I had 1/2 hour and explored a bit towards Sigurd Lake, but it is way better -- with good conditions -- to overnight by the lake, then loop return via Sigurd Headwaters.

(Yes, definitely J&K friendly. Good spring snowshoe too, when days are bit longer)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Second that.

No Curse really, but fact that experienced and fit hiker like guntis went 3 times is telling. I got it on 1st try, but I was very lucky with ideal conditions.
Spot on. Everything needs to line up nicely to nail this one in a single day. Back in mid September our hiking party had a planned trip up there with money put put aside for a local helicopter company to pick us up. However, no chopper outfit has a BC Parks permit to land there.

Beautiful up there but for those of us with aging bones it's a long and achy descent. The climb is very tough, but wonderful .... the descent is agonizing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks guys. Sounds like I had better leave it until I can get used to long day hikes again.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like I had better leave it until I can get used to long day hikes again.
Do you have an injury? Frankly, I find that kind of ascent a thrill, albeit physically challenging. 35 years ago that climb was fabulous up and down, but now, with hip arthritis and shot knees, it's killing me to descend those trails.

Thank goodness for the grouse grind and the squamish gondola... climb up, ride down :-)

post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 09:54 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Do you have an injury? Frankly, I find that kind of ascent a thrill, albeit physically challenging. 35 years ago that climb was fabulous up and down, but now, with hip arthritis and shot knees, it's killing me to descend those trails.

Thank goodness for the grouse grind and the squamish gondola... climb up, ride down :-)
No injuries, it's just been a long time since we have done a big day-hike. June 7th to be exact. Overnighting is different.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 12:12 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
SBack in mid September our hiking party had a planned trip up there with money put put aside for a local helicopter company to pick us up. However, no chopper outfit has a BC Parks permit to land there.
The Sigurd Creek headwater is in the Wilderness Recreation Zone of Tantalus Provincial Park. Only emergency or BC Parks management aircraft landings are permitted there, all other aircraft landings (public & commercial) are prohibited.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 12:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

That trail has evidently seen some serious work since I last saw it (several years ago).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page