ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/)
-   -   Water condition at HSCT (Howe Sound Crest Trail) (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/62489-water-condition-hsct-howe-sound-crest-trail.html)

naderat 08-15-2015 10:39 PM

Water condition at HSCT (Howe Sound Crest Trail)

Hi folks,

Bunch of are running Howe Sound Crest Trail tomorrow tomorrow. Any idea if there is water source on the way?

Thanks,
Nader

alexcanuck 08-15-2015 11:26 PM

Very dry year, so reliable water (S to N) will surely be found at:
1)Tarns below Unnecessary Peak. This area has heavy use, filters essential. Water will be there, but not the greatest. You can angle down after the first two big peaks of Unnecessary, and angle back up to rejoin the main trail.
2)A steep short scramble down to excellent water in a huge tarn below the East Lion, well visible once you're well past the saddle between the Lions and heading down a narrow ridge. Ignore those murky muddy spots early after the traverse under the West Lion, even if they're still damp. Once you change from hard rock to grey sand on the descending ridge look below on the right, choose your path down nice and early, angle back up a bit further on.
3)That was the last water for a long time, next up is at Magnesia meadows. Don't count on anything between these two! (There is Enchantment Lake, but it's a long tough way down and back up to the trail.) Once you head down to the top lake, plenty of access until you leave the lowest lake (Deeks), then nothing more but you're close and all downhill from there.
I've run it many times, I plan on the tarn under the East Lion, Magnesia and Brunswick Lake. The first one mentioned is too early and likely tastes of sweat, food scraps. sunscreen and bugspray, people wash there too often. Camping is popular in that area.

naderat 08-16-2015 12:30 AM

Thanks Alex, We're planning to carry 3L of warter plus LifeStraw. How long did it take to run it? We're running from Cypress to Porteau Cove.

Num3n 08-16-2015 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naderat (Post 655865)
Thanks Alex, We're planning to carry 3L of warter plus LifeStraw. How long did it take to run it? We're running from Cypress to Porteau Cove.

have you ever done this route before or anything of a comparable length and elevation gain?

naderat 08-16-2015 01:03 AM

Yes, I've run entire Baden Powell (Not the Knee Knacker race). I've done part of HSCT as a hike in the past.

Num3n 08-16-2015 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naderat (Post 655889)
Yes, I've run entire Baden Powell (Not the Knee Knacker race). I've done part of HSCT as a hike in the past.

in that case you'll be fine i think. just make the 3L last until the lake and consider some sort of electrolyte drink since it's supposed to be 26

naderat 08-17-2015 01:52 AM

Thank you very much guys. I took 3L and it was enough. I had water treatment plus LifeStraw but the weather wasnt super hot.
We finished in 10 hours with 8 hours moving time.

ecarter1 08-17-2015 10:34 AM

Thats quite quick! Was there any running water in magnesia meadows?

alexcanuck 08-17-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naderat (Post 655865)

I did my best ever 6:15 total time run from Cypress to the old parking on the highway ages. (At least two highway upgrades ago, best route used to be leaving the road quite high and coming down the bluffs to the highway maybe a km south of the current parking.) Couldn't do that now, doubt I could break 7 hours. And that is with no route-finding delays and knowing the pacing. 8 hours trail time is excellent! Well done.
Nice trail, isn't it? Almost continuous reward, very little boring trudging without views.

naderat 08-18-2015 01:14 AM

There was a small lake there.