Cheakamus Lake with my son - Trip Report (Video) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thumbs up Cheakamus Lake with my son - Trip Report (Video)

Hi everyone,

My son and I took another trip this weekend. Headed to Cheakamus lake.

This was a nice short hike, very easy compared to Garibaldi Lake that we did last time.

We met a lot of nice people, some not so great people, and one awesome young lady from North Carolina who my son just loves.

She came out by herself to hike to Garibaldi Lake, did Panorama and then to Helm Creek. Ended up at Cheakamus lake the same time as us so we spent the day with her as she was camped just behind us.

Hiked out with her, we all went to Subway for a sub, drove her back to Vancouver and around Stanley Park, a bit of sightseeing and a Bubble Tea before we dropped her off at her Hostel. Left her with my Business card and phone number just in case she had an emergency.

She had an old external frame backpack of her dads.

Overall we had a great trip. The bad part is that the trail is so short and the camping spot we had was so close to the lake that we had zero privacy. People left food behind that we had to pack out and clean up. It was not good.

You can watch a video here.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Summit Master

Wolves howling at night? Really?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

There is another campsite at Singing Creek about 3.5km further down the trail that has more privacy and a good swimming beach. An old trapping trail heads off along the shoreline for another couple kms for further exploration should one wish.

While there are wolves in the park, I suspect at the elevation you were at you'd be more likely to hear the coyotes yip-howling. We tend to see the wolves closer to treeline at this time of year as they have more food options at those elevations...

Fun is where you make it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawallrunner View Post
Wolves howling at night? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulkers View Post
There is another campsite at Singing Creek about 3.5km further down the trail that has more privacy and a good swimming beach. An old trapping trail heads off along the shoreline for another couple kms for further exploration should one wish.

While there are wolves in the park, I suspect at the elevation you were at you'd be more likely to hear the coyotes yip-howling. We tend to see the wolves closer to treeline at this time of year as they have more food options at those elevations...
I'm fairly certain they were Coyotes, but I'm not about to tell him that just yet. When he's older I'll ruin it for him. He thought it was awesome hearing them across the lake.

Ian
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Summit Master

Good plan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page