Silver Daisy - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 4 Post By Shade

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Silver Daisy

Silver Daisy in Manning Park is a hike I've been wanting to do for years. After trail running along the Skagit last week (in an effort to get away from the smokey valley) I again saw the Silver Daisy sign beckoning me. Husband is on holidays this week & I managed to convince him to come with me. I didn't really want to go alone and he gets worried when I hike out of cell range solo so this was a good compromise

We left the Rhododendron Flats parking lot at 8:30 in the morning. Not a super early start but the weather was cooler and the days are long so we're good. It was 11 degrees at the start and 19 degrees when we got back to the parking lot so perfect hiking weather.

Once you leave the Skagit Trail at the 1.4km mark you start up the seven switchbacks and very shortly see the Warning sign for active mining. We wondered how old the sign is the lettering is still crisp & legible. After a km or so there is an area of big Rhododendron plants, just like the old Club Tread description says, then it's super loooong switchback after looong switchback until finally the the 6th one which is quite short. After the 7th and final switchback, which was a picture worthy moment, it was slightly steeper terrain to the rock slide area.

From the top of the first slide area there is a great view of the Skagit Valley. Once we got through the slide areas it was brushier and thankfully there were many little creeks for the dog to enjoy a splash and drink as well as berries that we stopped to sample. From Shade's (the dog) behaviour there had been some critter in the area recently and slightly further up the trail there was a large bear scat....but not too fresh I assured my husband

Once we had veered away from the creek and reached the old tramway cut it was a pleasant nature walk with little waterways, wildflowers and unique fungi along the way. We turned off the tram cut and were on the old roadway and other than another not too fresh bear scat it was a bit of a grind and not super pleasant....husband was getting a bit whiney
and started questioning my navigation skills. (In his defence I'm the hiker not him & he was being a good sport undertaking such a big trek) Thankfully just minutes after that discussion we came out on the saddle area where the sign to Silver Daisy is posted...haha he shouldn't doubt me

We stopped at the saddle for a look at the views and a few M&M's. We were both getting hungry but I really wanted lunch at the top so we didn't stop for long. Once you start the final kilometre or so it's not very well marked and several times I had to rely on that inner sense of what should be the right way to go and the occasional faded ribbon or little pile of rocks I could find. I was confident of getting to the top using this method...husband I could tell was skeptical and a bit concerned but he did exceptionally well at not voicing this There are some gorgeous open meadow areas up there. The air was clear and the clouds high so we had great views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. We were at the top by 12:30 and enjoyed a 30min. break for lunch, signed the summit log and swatted a few horseflies.

On the way down we took the ridge all the way to it's end which gave us a neat view looking down over the old AM mining camp. I would love to get a closer look at the camp someday but it was far off our track so another day hopefully. Once we got down past the saddle and the tedious old roadway we were at the junction of tramway/roadway/mining camp trails. I dropped my pack and convinced hubby to let me scoot a way down the mining camp trail to see if I could spot any old ruins. He decided to come along for this and much to my delight the cabins weren't very far down at all and I was able to climb around them to get a good look. There really isn't much left but there's something about old abandoned buildings like that that fascinates me. I could have spent more time but had a satisfying enough cast about before we headed back to my dropped pack & home.

By the time we were counting the final switchbacks on the way down, even the dog was tired. We were back at the car around 4pm and home in plenty of time before our kids felt the need to activate emergency response search teams

Disclaimer...this is my first time posting a trip report, pictures were taken with my iPhone. Not only could I not get my pictures imbedded with the text, but they are out of order and I can't seem to fix it....which is making me crazy but I'm going to roll with it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	climbing up to old tram cut.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	748.3 KB
ID:	67441  

Name:	Lots of doggy water breaks.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	821.4 KB
ID:	67449  

Name:	Tram cut.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	726.9 KB
ID:	67457  

Name:	funky fungi.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	67465  

Name:	Blowdown.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	664.4 KB
ID:	67473  

Name:	Bees.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	67481  

Name:	soggy trail.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	926.0 KB
ID:	67489  

Name:	View from Saddle.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	67497  

Name:	pile of mining debris.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	854.0 KB
ID:	67505  

Name:	Old Roadway.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	795.1 KB
ID:	67513  

Name:	Silver Daisy sign at saddle.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	676.1 KB
ID:	67521  

Name:	Looking back along ridge we've followed.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	534.8 KB
ID:	67529  

Name:	getting hungry but don't want to stop.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	67537  

Name:	View of old AM mining camp.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	67545  

Name:	Old Invermay Mining cabin.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	701.5 KB
ID:	67553  

Name:	View from summit.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	67561  

Name:	Cairn at top.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	726.1 KB
ID:	67569  

Name:	Warning Sign.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	565.4 KB
ID:	67577  

Name:	Rhododendrons.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	517.8 KB
ID:	67585  

Name:	Final Switchback #7.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	724.9 KB
ID:	67593  

Name:	View of Skagit Valley from top of slide area.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	67601  

Name:	First Slide Area.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	772.1 KB
ID:	67609  

martin, simonc, KARVITK and 1 others like this.

If I don't try, I've already failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nadine.

Awesome report and very interesting pictures, on your first trip report. Loved you good mood and comments about your husband, great sport he was to join you on this longish quest.

I have hiked to top of Silver Daisy twice via the short way which no longer exists. But also took the long way twice, one to do Claimstake which is immediately south of Silver Daisy, and then winter time snowshoe to a subpeak on the west ridge of Silver Daisy.

On one of my trips also did Eastpoint Ridge which is the next one to the east and a little south of Silver Daisy.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Loved you good mood and comments about your husband, great sport he was to join you on this longish quest.

Thanks Karl.

I should have mentioned that Monday I had convinced hubby and youngest daughter to climb Mount Lincoln with me. A short but very steep hike. He was still sore from that

If I don't try, I've already failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for posting a TR on this trail. I was looking at it in 103 Hikes the other week since I was going to be in the area, but it was during that really hot stretch and I didn't think I wanted to do the elevation.

The ridge looks like pleasant hiking. I'll keep Silver Daisy in mind.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page