Wedgemount Area Conditions - July 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Wedgemount Area Conditions - July 4

Saturday we traversed the 5 peaks surrounding Wedgemount Lake. A few photos below to get an idea of conditions. Not much snow en-route to the top of cook but a tiny bit of running water. Scrambling on the NW (?) Ridge from Cook to the top of Weart is fantastic if a bit loose. Descended the scrambles route to the Wedge-Weart Col. Snow patches and lots of water flowing around here.

Followed old steps up the low route to NE Arete of Wedge. Looking down the higher route, the shrund that usually bars access is still quite well bridged. Arete was fine, we had to wander a bit to avoid some rock outcrops but stuck on snow the whole way. Snow is disappearing quickly however.

Mental crux of the day was descending the scrambles route on Wedge - don't wish that on anyone. Just a small snow patch - otherwise just scree.

Lots of water at Wedge-Parkhurst Col. No snow on Parkhurst (just scree). Quick up-down from Parkhurst-Rethel Col to tag Rethel. Descending scrambles route from Parkhurst-Rethel Col was pretty horrible. Very loose, sandy, wet gullies between snow patches. Only a little bit of snow. Scooted around skiers left side of the lake and waded through the outflow. Down the first boulder gully and intersected the trail in the avalanche debris area.

Wedgemount Glacier is totally bare at the bottom - with a weird collapsed hole. Snow on the upper section looks well crevassed. It looks like you could approach the Wedge-Weart Col by sticking to the left edge of the glacier and avoid most of the sketchy crevasses. Overall things are looking very August/September like. Bare ice and big shrunds.

Photos:
1) NF of Wedge from Parkhurst
2) Descent gullies from Parkhurst-Rethel Col
3) View of Weart from NE Arete. Not sure why its upside down.
4) Wedge NE Arete - we stayed on snow.
5) Wedge glacier - bare ice on the lower half.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4064.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	668.4 KB
ID:	62329  

Name:	IMG_4060.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	62337  

Name:	IMG_4012.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	62345  

Name:	IMG_4003.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	62353  

Name:	IMG_3960.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	472.5 KB
ID:	62361  

Last edited by ecarter1; 07-06-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Holy ****

Anyway, I'm really glad you post here. I do get a kick out of seeing your long distance scramble/mountain run trips. That first pic is great.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks! This site is a good resource for conditions photos/planning so I try to remember to return the favour once and a while. If you are interested in more of the mountain running/athletic side of things I post more of that on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/skiericcarter

Also - I forgot to mention, both the Wedge and Weart summit registers are in really rough shape. I didn't have space to carry anything down but if anyone is planning on going up, both could use a new write-in-the-rain notebook and even new containers (Weart register is a thermos).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the information! It's nice to see a report that has important route information that's actually useful for other people instead of useless narcissistic ramblings/b.s. Appreciated. lol.
Just venting a bit sorry! In general I find many of the TR's on this site are watered down with personal info. instead of useful information such as in this report. Colourful writing is fine but it's nice to get some pertinent information as well such as snow conditions and road information. Much appreciated! Looks like fun. Thanks!

Last edited by tlinn; 07-06-2015 at 03:18 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarter1 View Post
Saturday we traversed the 5 peaks surrounding Wedgemount Lake. A few photos below to get an idea of conditions. Not much snow en-route to the top of cook but a tiny bit of running water. Scrambling on the NW (?) Ridge from Cook to the top of Weart is fantastic if a bit loose. Descended the scrambles route to the Wedge-Weart Col. Snow patches and lots of water flowing around here.

Followed old steps up the low route to NE Arete of Wedge. Looking down the higher route, the shrund that usually bars access is still quite well bridged. Arete was fine, we had to wander a bit to avoid some rock outcrops but stuck on snow the whole way. Snow is disappearing quickly however.

Mental crux of the day was descending the scrambles route on Wedge - don't wish that on anyone. Just a small snow patch - otherwise just scree.

Lots of water at Wedge-Parkhurst Col. No snow on Parkhurst (just scree). Quick up-down from Parkhurst-Rethel Col to tag Rethel. Descending scrambles route from Parkhurst-Rethel Col was pretty horrible. Very loose, sandy, wet gullies between snow patches. Only a little bit of snow. Scooted around skiers left side of the lake and waded through the outflow. Down the first boulder gully and intersected the trail in the avalanche debris area.

Wedgemount Glacier is totally bare at the bottom - with a weird collapsed hole. Snow on the upper section looks well crevassed. It looks like you could approach the Wedge-Weart Col by sticking to the left edge of the glacier and avoid most of the sketchy crevasses. Overall things are looking very August/September like. Bare ice and big shrunds.

Photos:
1) NF of Wedge from Parkhurst
2) Descent gullies from Parkhurst-Rethel Col
3) View of Weart from NE Arete. Not sure why its upside down.
4) Wedge NE Arete - we stayed on snow.
5) Wedge glacier - bare ice on the lower half.
Thanks for the excellent conditions update.

Is it my imagination, or is the lake level way down lower than typical ?

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

K - The lake level is normal. We had to wade the outflow on our way back around. It appears that the glacier snout has just receded back away from the lake (and even the smaller newly formed upper lake) significantly.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 12:51 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Wow, that's a big day. Great photos. I'm guessing you find water along the way instead of packing it all up? What else do you consume on a day like that? (electrolytes? real food? energy gels?)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:10 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
K - The lake level is normal. We had to wade the outflow on our way back around. It appears that the glacier snout has just receded back away from the lake (and even the smaller newly formed upper lake) significantly.
I'd agree, thanks for posting
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
Wow, that's a big day. Great photos. I'm guessing you find water along the way instead of packing it all up? What else do you consume on a day like that? (electrolytes? real food? energy gels?)
Thanks. Yes, definitely scooping up water as we go. The area has significant water sources so I never carried more than 1.5L at a time but probably drank between 6 and 7L throughout the day.

I left the car with 300ml in a soft flask on my shoulder strap which got me to the creek crossing near the top of the trail. There we filled up all our flasks and platypus bag. I refilled a flask when we crossed the shrund between cook and weart from a meltwater drip. The Wedge-Weart col has flowing water so we drank up and refilled there. The descent off wedge has water so more refilling there. Then drank a bunch from the outflow of the lake. If there is less water available, like the howe sound crest trail, I'd certainly carry more.

I put electrolyte tabs in about half of my water on a hot day. I've never gotten sick drinking untreated from streams in BC but I wouldn't drink standing water.

Food depends on the objective, if we are not in a hurry and more just out for fun, I carry more real food - a burrito or some pizza. If we are racing or in a hurry, its all gels and bars. The Feed Zone Cookbook is a good place to get high energy real food ideas so when I can convince my girlfriend to make something from that it is awesome.
Steventy and lowclimber like this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

^Thanks for the info. I've started using more electrolytes (I wasn't using any at all,) and it definitely has helped on hot days.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...

Any estimates how long the NE Arete will be climbable? I was hoping to climb it at the end of July solo, but by the looks of it, the snow won't last long...
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlinn View Post
Thanks for the information! It's nice to see a report that has important route information that's actually useful for other people instead of useless narcissistic ramblings/b.s. Appreciated. lol.
Just venting a bit sorry! In general I find many of the TR's on this site are watered down with personal info. instead of useful information such as in this report. Colourful writing is fine but it's nice to get some pertinent information as well such as snow conditions and road information. Much appreciated! Looks like fun. Thanks!

Maybe you could put up a TR once in awhile and show us some conditions and share some of this information then?
simonc, tedoliver, KARVITK and 2 others like this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
Any estimates how long the NE Arete will be climbable? I was hoping to climb it at the end of July solo, but by the looks of it, the snow won't last long...
Snow might not last much longer. Not sure if there is ice under there or just rock. Its not very steep so I think scrambling up on the rocks would be fine. We considered it but the rocks are a bit loose. If you had helmets and went one at a time on the rocks it would likely be pretty reasonable.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 12:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That is a huge loop, I couldn't imagine doing Cook and Weart when I only did the other 3 as a loop.

Your trip up in the Place Glacier area looked awesome and that has moved high up my list thanks to seeing it on your Facebook page.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outside...

Quote:
Snow might not last much longer. Not sure if there is ice under there or just rock. Its not very steep so I think scrambling up on the rocks would be fine. We considered it but the rocks are a bit loose. If you had helmets and went one at a time on the rocks it would likely be pretty reasonable.
I would be alone so I'm not worried about others knocking down rocks, I thought near the top it was 40-50* for a short part, would the rocks also be that steep? Or is that how the snow forms?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page