• 5 Post By thecamel
  • 2 Post By Redbeard

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default thecamel Can't hold his water! South Twin Sister 15.06.27

Link to video
https://vimeo.com/132155886

A few years ago atop Mt. Baker I got my first real glimpse of the Twin Sisters when Ben casually asked me if I had ever done the Twin Sisters.

I remember saying something idiotic like “Easy buddy, I’m married.”

Fast forward to this past Saturday when I somehow managed to get away for an overnighter and recruited Ben and Patrick to join me in a two day attempt on the both Sisters.

When I presented my passport to the border guard and responded to his inquiry with “I’m going to do the Twin Sisters,” he half smirked and begged for clarification. He then pointed out I was an idiot for not signing my passport when I received it 3 years ago. When he asked if I had any food, I said just some good ol’ American beef jerky, and he came back with

“What are you really doing down here?”

“The Twin Sisters…seriously.”

And that was that, he waved me through.

I don’t usually get over the border a heck of a lot due to my innate fear of the imperial system and picking up a six pack every time I go to the grocery store for a jug of milk. In fact, as I rolled through the Safeway in Bellingham at 6:30AM, I was shocked by two things in particular: they have bacon jerky down here…no wonder the USA is an international super power… and how everyone said good morning to me and asked me how I was doing. Ya, weird down here for sure.

Patrick, who was already in Bellingham (gorging himself on bacon jerky), picked me up and threw my bikes on his jeep. The night before I had invested about an hour into routine bike maintenance to fix up my old bike into riding condition so Ben could use it. In the end, I probably should have been more focused on the loose crank than the 73.4% chance the rear brake line would snap on descent, but hey, I’m no psychic.

Meeting Ben in Welcome, we were pushing our bikes up the first bit of the road in the hot hot heat of 9:30 AM….this was going to be a loooonnnnggg day. Time passed quickly thanks to Ben regaling us with stories of ascending Mt. Waddington and how he’s super caucasian and Patrick philosophizing about various international birthing rituals. We only had to stop once to Macgyver the left crank back onto Ben’s bike with an undersized allen key and screwdriver bit from a multitool. Apparently I was the multi-tool for not bringing the right Allen key I had double checked the night before.

In no time at all in what seemed like forever, we found ourselves at the end of the road with the ridge line of the South Twin laid visible above us. We had decided ascending the South Twin would be more prudent for the day so we could leave the shorter ascent of the North Twin for the morning. We dumped all our gear, choosing to camp here, versus the camping flats Gunn raves about in just to save a little energy. A quick break at the creek and reload on water and off we went.

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but it was getting incredibly hot. Brief bits of breeze would suddenly end as if someone just closed the door of the sauna and threw some water on the rocks. On the bright side, at least I wasn’t surrounded by elderly naked men in various stages of toweling themselves off.

I drank 3 liters, which was the max I could carry, between the end of the road and the camping flats. While we refilled just below at the creek, I think we were all a bit concerned over the lack of water sources on a long rock ridge in the full sun.

I’ll let the pictures and the video speak for themselves, but all I can say is that the ridge itself is 100’s of meters of scrambling bliss. We tried to stay on the crest itself for the most part, except a couple spots where we veered right underneath some major obstacles. Ben of course, fueled by giant testicles and a freshly burgeoning sunburn, chose to go over pretty much everything. One part in particular, featured in the video looked pretty bad ass from my vantage point.
Unfortunately, the heat was getting the better of us and Patrick in particular started to experience major quad cramps. We stopped several times, to the tune of probably 2 hours in breaks along the ridge where we took turns trying to rid Patrick’s legs of cramps using a strange combination of Mio sport, bad jokes, and pringles. Nothing really worked, yet Patrick would continually defy the turnaround odds by pushing though his pain and moving on at the end of each break.

The summit was a welcome sight, except we were all out of water. Luckily Ben managed to locate a few small trickles coming from some dirty snow patches which allowed us each about a liter for the return trip. Unparalleled views of Baker, the Olympics and the entirety of the Sisters range spread out before us. Speaking of which, are the other peaks in the range (seem to be about 3 or so) named? Unofficially or otherwise? We located a gatorade bottle with some scraps of paper with a few CT'er names stenciled on them.

It was pushing 7pm when we finally decided to drag ourselves away from the summit. We were now in a race against the setting sun, severe dehydration, and raw finger tips. It was here, I reached into my deep pockets of machismo and pulled out a pair of gloves…which I might add, nicely accented my women’s overnight pack.

Down, right, across, up, left, straight, down, up, left, right, straight, over, around, left again, right and then down, across, up and over and straight pretty much got us back to the point we had attained the ridge.

As we descended into the bowl between the South and North, we were treated to an incredible sunset. Honestly though I was having trouble enjoying it as I had an incredible thirst that needed quenching and I could here the creek calling to me from below. I stepped it into high gear and collapsed beside the stream. Hardly stopping to breath, I downed 3 liters in about 5 minutes, followed by a minute of trying not to hurl it all back up. I know, I know, ironic that thecamel couldn’t hold his water..almost. Ben and Patrick arrived on scene a few minutes later and we donned our lights in the darkness of the trail downwards.

I think we arrived at the campsite, which we hadn’t set up yet, at just after 10PM. I had packed a few beers up, thinking we would have a glorious evening of frolicking in the creek like the hundreds of mini frogs we encountered, but that didn’t exactly go as planned. We enjoyed a couple cold ones over tent set-up and dinner then turned in for the night with thoughts of the North Twin Sister dancing in our heads.

The next morning saw us sleep in to about 7:30 before leisurely packing up. We were all hurting to various degrees: leg cramps, sunburn, blisters, corneal eroticism…no wait…that’s corneal erosion I mean, and Patrick expressed his concern about successfully summiting the North Twin in what was going to be another scorcher. Still, not wanting to interfere with the plan, he agreed to man up and push onwards and upwards as long as he could.

We stashed our junk at the junction to the North Twin and plodded up the road/trail in rising temps. At the point the trail becomes more trail than road, we sat down for a tete a tete, Is that how you spell head to head in French?

Patrick was pretty much ready to call it a day and suggested/insisted we carry on and meet him at the car later. Ben and I were fairly conflicted as we looked up at the beautiful looking Sister above us. But after some discussion and soul searching we didn’t feel right about making Patrick wait what could potentially be 5 or more hours for us to ascend and descend. So in the end despite Patrick’s insistence that we carry on, we decided to postpone this adventure for another day. Just as well anyway, as about 30 minutes after leaving, clouds rolled in and poured on the North Twin. Is wet sandpaper still as grippy?

Riding down the road was a blast and in no time at all we were munching on dill pickle chips while pondering what had died in the back of Patrick’s jeep after we had piled all our crap into it. I’ll definitely be back, but this time as a day trip…in cooler weather.

By the way, I noticed the gate had a Weyerhauser sign on it with some information about a rec permit for the area. I looked it up. They are available to purchase for the outrageous cost of $200. Then you can drive on up at your leisure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5106.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	59050  

Name:	IMG_5113.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	59058  

Name:	IMG_5124.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	490.1 KB
ID:	59066  

Name:	IMG_5130.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	59074  

Name:	IMG_5134.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	59082  

Name:	IMG_5136.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	59090  

Name:	IMG_5137.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	59098  

Name:	IMG_5138.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	59106  

Name:	IMG_5144.jpg
Views:	2128
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	59114  

Name:	IMG_5101.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	586.9 KB
ID:	59178  

simonc, Spectrum, Masiar and 2 others like this.

My hiking career: a selfish pursuit or a pursuit of self?

Last edited by thecamel; 06-30-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Sorry, couldn't be bothered to put the pix in the TR. Check out the video though. Has some great scrambling shots.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamel View Post
Sorry, couldn't be bothered to put the pix in the TR. Check out the video though. Has some great scrambling shots.
My neck is bent....

Enjoyed your writeup, put a smile on my face.

Good for you all to manage the heat and find water.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 02:49 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Sweet photos Mr. Camel. I always enjoy the comedy of your trip reports.

Karvitk - I have a quick solution for you; this works if you have a laptop, with Windows as its OS.
1. If the photo is rotated left, press [CTRL]+[ALT]+[RIGHT ARROW].
2. If it's rotated right, press [CTRL]+[ALT]+[LEFT ARROW].
3. If it's rotated down, press [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DOWN ARROW].
4. For normal screen setting, press [CTRL]+[ALT]+[UP ARROW].

Also, you'll have your cursor move relative to the dominant axis, so things may be a bit wonky if you're not in the normal upright screen mode.

Pardeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

Great report, I enjoyed the story and video. This heat and running out of water seems to be the theme of all the reports coming back from this weekend.

Quote:

When I presented my passport to the border guard and responded to his inquiry with “I’m going to do the Twin Sisters,” he half smirked and begged for clarification. He then pointed out I was an idiot for not signing my passport when I received it 3 years ago. When he asked if I had any food, I said just some good ol’ American beef jerky, and he came back with

“What are you really doing down here?”

“The Twin Sisters…seriously.”

And that was that, he waved me through.
I often wonder what strange things the border guards deal with every day. After dealing with them too many times, I just give short simple answers now, usually "hiking at mt baker" gets a quick wave through, instead of trying to explain I'm going to climb some mountain they've never heard of.

Quote:
Down, right, across, up, left, straight, down, up, left, right, straight, over, around, left again, right and then down, across, up and over and straight pretty much got us back to the point we had attained the ridge.
At this point I thought you were about to unlock a secret level
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 09:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Awesome write up, as always! Who knew you could drive in closer? Wow! So, if you brought a group of 10 say, and piled into the VW Bug clown style, that would only be $20/each? Cool.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Has anyone figured out how to rotate the photos? They are rotated on my computer (I manually did so after downloading them, but then they auto rotate back when uploaded??? What's the fix? It's killing me.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

A Camel report! Joy of joys I was the ONLY one giggling like a fool on the bus at 6:30am this morning. Thank you for yet another entertaining read. This brings back ohhhh so many memories. The never ending ridge, raw fingers, gloves tattered, what to say to the border patrol that generally thinks you're nuts-o. Did you find the peacock feather? I didn't get to do the North Twin either...we need a CT crew epic return!
Attached Images

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 12:04 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Speaking of which, are the other peaks in the range (seem to be about 3 or so) named? Unofficially or otherwise? We located a gatorade bottle with some scraps of paper with a few CT'er names stenciled on them.
Yeah. There are actually about 7 or 8 more named summits. See red Beckey guide (Cascade Alpine Guide Vol III) for details.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Nice report, Cody! I owe a big thank-you to you and Ben for your patience with me! Those quad cramps were brutal and refused to go away. I've got to do some more training!

Anyways, since I didn't have a point-and-shoot along with me, my big camera stayed mainly in my pack for the climb, so I unfortunately don't have a lot of good action shots. Here are a few, though.

Cody and Ben rode their bikes for *most* of the logging road... I caught them pushing their bikes for a short stretch.

The views of Baker from the road were already pretty impressive.

After dropping our overnight gear, the trail was easy to follow, but it got a little trickier in the boulder field and we missed the turnoff for the trail through the trees. As a result, we gained a little more elevation than necessary, but it afforded us good views of the ridge ahead.

We reached the creek and tanked up on water. I took the opportunity to practice my limited photography skills.

Fully supplied with water, it was time to finish the approach and head up to the ridge.

The North Twin Sister's south face was an ever-present wall of rock to our left.

The guys checking out the view from the ridge as I rested before tackling the scramble.

I didn't take many pictures along the ridge other than during breaks. Sunscreen was important!

Super-caucasian-man avoided the sun at every opportunity.

After way too long, we finally made it to the top! I was pretty exhausted, but thrilled that I made it. I definitely would have given up if not for the encouragement from the team.

The way down was grueling as I was still dealing with quad cramps (not as bad as on the way up), but our light was fading and I was just focused on getting off the ridge before dark. Luckily we only needed headlamps once we got back down into the trees and had no problem finding our way back to the end of the logging road where we set up camp.

It was a great couple days in the mountains and the South Twin Sister is a must for anyone who loves long ridges of scrambling on grippy, solid rock!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 001.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	983.2 KB
ID:	59258  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 002.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	988.4 KB
ID:	59266  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 003.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	988.1 KB
ID:	59274  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 004.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	815.6 KB
ID:	59282  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 005.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	872.1 KB
ID:	59290  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 006.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	971.9 KB
ID:	59298  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 007.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	974.1 KB
ID:	59306  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 008.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	957.0 KB
ID:	59314  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 009.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	944.1 KB
ID:	59322  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 010.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	942.7 KB
ID:	59330  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 011.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	940.0 KB
ID:	59338  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 012.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	915.2 KB
ID:	59346  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 013.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	879.9 KB
ID:	59354  

Name:	15.06  South Twin Sister 014.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	950.9 KB
ID:	59362  

guntis and Masiar like this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

@Redbeard Congrats on making it! I recall it was a longgg day. I had done Tomyhoi the day before, slept in my car uncomfortably overnight, and then did South Twin and twisted my ankle on the way down. That little stream there saved my foot! The photos from the big camera are wonderful, especially the flowers
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 02:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Mountain don't care! Good to see another Twin Sisters TR.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page