Baden Powell Trail Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove May 27,2015 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Baden Powell Trail Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove May 27,2015

Another mid-week day off and no concrete plans for any mountains, so I decided to try something alittle different. I'm not a trail runner and have never trained or done any form of the new sport, I don't own any spandex, I don't even own a drinking bladder at this point but nonetheless I decided to go hike the Baden Powell West to East. Up early in Tsawwassen, drove to Park Royal where I left my car, caught the 6:20am bus to Horseshoe Bay, and started off at the trailhead at 6:45am.

Had no problems finding the trail it's pretty well marked , hit the boulder field where you get some views, steep trail for abit and then bust out on Eagle Ridge Bluffs?

Made my way towards Black Mountain, got off track at a junction for abit and ended up at Yew Lake lookout? DOH! headed back to the junction. Cost me 5 minutes then it was basically straight down to the Cypress ski Lodge.

Cutting below Hollyburn, kicked me out onto the X-Country runs, past the warming hut, and then past the old Hollyburn Lodge that seems to be getting an extreme makeover.

More downhill, cruising by the British Properties houses, and then hooking up with a section of the Trans Canada Trail, then under some power lines and peoples backyards down to the Cleveland dam. Reminds me of National Lampoons Vegas Vacation where Eddie is at the Hover Dam, asking where he can find some dam bait, and some dam beer.

Back to civilization, tourists everywhere, a nice lovely uphill slog up Nancy Greene Way to the base of the grind.

It was at this point somewhere past the skyline trail that I came across a lady walking the same directions I was going. She had 4 dog not on leashes. So right away the dogs started barking at me and 2 came charging at me. I asked her to control her dogs nicely, she didn't comply. Now all 4 dogs were around me barking and being aggressive. I now started yelling at her to get her dogs under control. Her reply was " if I don't like dogs and am afraid of dogs I shouldn't be out in this area or out in nature. Oh and then she said what am I going to do if I run into a bear or a cougar lol! Finally fed up with these dogs I now started swearing at her and giving her a piece of my mind in a very colourful manner that some of you can just imagine. My only regret is not having any bear spray and unloading a can over all of them. Before you some of you say that's a tad extreme, I passed by many dogs on this trip some on leash some off leash and they were all fine well behaved animals/owners. Anyways that gave me my second wind that I needed and got my blood flowing.

This is a water refill tap I think in the Lynn Canyon area? that was a nice surprise and refreshing, Got back to tourist land again as I crossed the suspension bridge. It was around this point they started putting distances on the junction signs, that really sucked and any from of trail jogging ceased to exist.

It was all uphill on the Seymour section, just what you need another 850ft this late in the journey. Then it was downhill crossing the road twice, into Deep Cove where you think you're so close but there is actually more ups and downs.

Tons of people doing the Quarry Rock hike. Finally the Eastern trailhead is insight, 48km later according the the posts and knee knacker website. all done. Gate to Gate breaks included was 9hr 55min. Definitely not a course record and I have a new found respect for people that do that trail in some disgusting times.

If there was one time I wanted a 6 pack of beer or maybe just 1 beer was on this beautiful sunny day, instead I went and stripped down to my briefs and jumped in the water, then went and caught the bus back to Park Royal. The next morning I could have used some WD-40 on my right ankle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BadenPowellRoute.jpg
Views:	6780
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	44801  

Name:	20150527_064357.jpg
Views:	2581
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	44809  

Name:	P1210457.jpg
Views:	2211
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	44817  

Name:	P1210458.JPG
Views:	2222
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	44825  

Name:	P1210460.JPG
Views:	2175
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	44833  

Name:	P1210463.JPG
Views:	2132
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	44841  

Name:	P1210464.JPG
Views:	2185
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	44849  

Name:	P1210468.JPG
Views:	2246
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	44857  

Name:	P1210473.JPG
Views:	2333
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	44865  

Name:	P1210478.JPG
Views:	2261
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	44873  

Name:	P1210479.JPG
Views:	2142
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	44881  

Name:	P1210480.JPG
Views:	2126
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	44889  

Name:	20150527_112152.jpg
Views:	2212
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	44905  

martin, Kanike, dougz and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Spectrum; 05-28-2015 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Same reason I always edit, because the new CT SUCKS for doing trip reports!!! FIX IT!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

That's a nice feather to have in your cap. I know what you mean about unleashed dogs all running at you and barking with the walker doing nothing.

Full marathon next? You did pretty good on the half a while back so should be easy enough.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

You read my mind Simon, I think the family is going back to Vegas this November for a repeat when we all did the 1/2 last November. I was kinda tossing the idea around in my mind that I should just go give the Vegas Full a shot. CT Vegas trip lol? get some of us together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:05 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering

Excellent, this should be enough to receive your hiker's merit badge from Scouts Canada. And dogs, 98% of them and there owners are so nice and there's the few that mess it up.
Dru likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 02:36 AM
Summit Master

Nice. You are very fit obviously. I did BP as well, but string from 3 separate pieces ;=)

Only question in my mind, if doing it all at once, which direction is preferable? Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove or the other way around. In one hand Eagle Bluffs are best viewpoint so if going west it would be save best for last (and enjoy great sunset perhaps). In other hand steepest bit is Black Mountain section, so better climbed than descended, first thing in the morning - if going east.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Nice. You are very fit obviously. I did BP as well, but string from 3 separate pieces ;=)

Only question in my mind, if doing it all at once, which direction is preferable? Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove or the other way around. In one hand Eagle Bluffs are best viewpoint so if going west it would be save best for last (and enjoy great sunset perhaps). In other hand steepest bit is Black Mountain section, so better climbed than descended, first thing in the morning - if going east.

Yep I checked over your TR's just so I had a rough idea of what to look out for etc. etc. As for which way is better I'm really not sure, the steady steep descent off of Cypress down to the Cleveland dam sure does a number on the muscles. I almost think my muscles are more used to going up than these speedy descents.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Sweet, I like the numerous tie ins to Vegas, marathons, chevy chase, and that T-Shirt of yours. This is a good idea. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 02:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

As a dog lover, I sometimes forget about the poorly trained aggressive ones. Had a nervous moment last week when jogging in Burnaby. Fortunately I was able to calm the dog down. The owner was oblivious, not surprisingly.

Yes, the Knee Knacker is an impressive feat. Well done on completing it! Word has it you're in trouble for doing it solo.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 03:02 PM
dom
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Skiing and Hiking

Hollyburn lodge - They're replacing it. Unfortunately, after 100 years the buildings falling apart, not to mention there is no foundation.

The new Hollyburn lodge is going to be completed for next season and will have recycled pieces incorporated from the Hollyburn lodge.
Spectrum likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

We often have problems with dogs walking in packs (3 +) off leash. Well, not really me, but Katie does. Dogs are more bold in a pack, and once one gets going on something, the rest want to join in and follow the leader. She gets swarmed by packs and the majority of the time they are larger than her, but I always let her work it out and, knocking on wood, she has never been in a fight. Yes, the owner (or dog walker) rarely does anything about it.

As for when I am on my own, I always continue walking as I was and keep a confident way about me. It has always worked for me, however, I have a ton of experience around strange dogs, so I do understand that it is easier said than done for most.
Spectrum likes this.

Last edited by John and Katie; 05-29-2015 at 09:40 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

That is one very impressive feat, averaging almost 5 km /hour which is a fast walk. Well done for keeping that pace along the way, a few pauses am sure helped out.

I find it difficult to understand why some people are so dense when it comes to not controlling poorly trained dogs. Bear Spray would have been a good reply.... to both dogs and owner.

K
Spectrum likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 12:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

Yeah, don't you know it's dangerous "hiking alone" sheesh :P I gotta do this one this summer...been on my to-do list for a long time. I had a dog charge me in our building and I was terrified. The dog owner did nothing and looked at me like I was crazy as this thing was seriously ready to pounce. It's an incredibly uncomfortable feeling.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

Wish me LUCK! I'm attempting this tomorrow
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 03:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masiar View Post
Wish me LUCK! I'm attempting this tomorrow
Good luck. You're going to need it.!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Excellent out Young Krumm. Too bad about the douchebag woman...I carry bear spray with me when I hike the North Shore because of idiots and their dogs. I rarely ever hike the N. Shore as there are just too many idiots with their loose dogs and tossing their dog shit bags everywhere.
Dru, tedoliver and Spectrum like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page