Rubble Ck/Black Tusk parking - smash and grab - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Outdoors, sweet campervans, corporate job avoidance

No arguments with anything above Big Ian. While my post was definitely intended to slant towards humour, there's no doubt that forums do sometimes serve as a forum for venting. And I have a tendency to pile on when that starts. I suppose that I harken back to the days when there were fewer folks out in the backcountry and the accompanying issues were fewer. That sounds like an old and bitter guy typing but I'm neither. Just frustrated at times when city negatives impact the wilds. But kudos to the folks on here who actually offer up solutions. Having said that, I'm off for a few nights in the hills which is likely more productive than typing more... :-)

Last edited by BDoubleYou; 05-13-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Having a secure place to store my excess gear is why I have a large Thule box on my car. It would be a lot harder to break into than a car. Plus the crackheads don't know if there is anything in there or not so they theoretically move onto another easier more obvious target. Another idea is to get a heavy duty duffel bag like the North Face Basecamp Duffel and get a packsafe bag protector and lock up the duffel. I was so paranoid about break-ins in Hawaii that I always locked up my stuff in the truck of the rental car when I was out for the day on the beach, etc. You can't count on the cops to do jack S in this country. Protect your own stuff.[IMG][/IMG]
post #48 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianfront View Post
I have a large Thule box on my car. It would be a lot harder to break into than a car. Plus the crackheads don't know if there is anything in there or not so they theoretically move onto another easier more obvious target.
From my experience, people will attempt to break in anyways just to see if there is anything of value. People also vandalize cars just for the fun of it.
skeletalmachine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
From my experience, people will attempt to break in anyways just to see if there is anything of value. People also vandalize cars just for the fun of it.
That is exactly right.

Ideas/suggestions about trailhead shuttles, better packing, this or that are good, but only circumvent the real problem -- minority terrorizing vast majority, and getting away with it.

If nothing is done, as it most likely won't, we will be having this same discussion in couple of months (and then again, and again ...)
xj6response likes this.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:39 AM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Also a problem recently in WA state:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubb...al#Post1138629
post #51 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:45 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
I've been told that a Thule or Yakima box is pretty hard to break into as they are made out of ABS plastic. A hammer would just bounce off. I suppose with a pry bar and enough time you could bust in but unless my car was alone and there was no other targets around why would they bother when there would probably be softer targets nearby.
post #52 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:52 AM
Headed for the Mountains

For me at least, its all about making my vehicle & apartment more work to break into and steal from.
This is the front door of my condo:

It looks far more protected than the other 62 units in my building.
I also went through the effort to replace the flimsy interior door into my man's cave with a solid core door with deadbolt. So even if punks ever got through my main door they'd discover they are not going to get at my valuables. Harden, harden, harden.
post #53 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 AM
Summit Master

so if a rumour is spreading around that a bunch of irrate tough guys are gonna watch the parking lot this weekend, chances are that thieves will read this and think twice? cause theres a lot of hurting to be paid back.
full report next week.
post #54 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 07:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

I've seen some of them on various trails. Yeah, they look tough and really f*****g pissed off when the subject comes up.

Off for the weekend, gonna find out if the Sayward canoe route can be done in a day. Probably not, but the second day will will be done by breakfast!
My car will be unlocked, immobilized and empty, my fingers crossed it doesn't gets smashed or torched for "fun".
Marc likes this.
post #55 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 12:32 AM
Summit Master

wonder if they'll try to burn a cardboard cop, if they even notice it.
post #56 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 01:39 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanuck View Post
I've seen some of them on various trails. Yeah, they look tough and really f*****g pissed off when the subject comes up.

Off for the weekend, gonna find out if the Sayward canoe route can be done in a day. Probably not, but the second day will will be done by breakfast!
My car will be unlocked, immobilized and empty, my fingers crossed it doesn't gets smashed or torched for "fun".
Imagine if someone came around and added 20 liters of good fuel to your gas tank and slipped you a coupon for 50$ worth of fishing tackle from you favourite store
post #57 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:19 AM
Summit Master

how is cell reception from there, easy to text in/out?
post #58 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 06:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Should be money, the closest tower is just on the shoulder of the Tusk.
post #59 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 11:22 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Almost everything as long as it's outdoors and some other things

It's a shame that sometimes the most dangerous predators can be man.

"Without exploration, the world is but a figment of the imagination"
post #60 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

quick question, if I go Panorama Range this weekend, do I need Snowshoes? Or Micro-spike is sufficient? Thanks in advance.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page