Headed for the Mountains
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pitt Meadows, BC, Canada.
Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.
Zupjok - Llama - Alpaca aka ZLA - April 19, 2015
Yes... it's another ZLA trail report!
I took a group of 7 others in almost too perfect weather on one of the best ridge walks I have ever done. I had some reservations with the avy rating pegged at considerable and the fact we would be ascending/descending three solar effected south facing slopes, but the snow was solid in the morning from the overnight freeze and stayed mostly solid all day... brilliant actually... snowshoeing the entire time once we hit the alpine with the exception the north side of the bump between Zupjok and Llama which was too steep for snowshoes on the steep crusty snow.
It was a beautiful day out... and I lost count of the "OMG's" somewhere around the two hour mark.
I have varying stats on the cumulative gain on this one... some people say 1800m... I only clocked 1567m, but with the undulation of three peaks it felt more like 2200m!!
Took us just over 10 hours with lots and lots of photo breaks, lunch, etc... moving time was probably around 8 1/2 hours.
Some miscellaneous notes:
• first creek crossing was interesting - some wood left from previous bridge but colder early morning ice encrusted... we skipped across some rocks a little to the left instead
• campers w/dogs off-leash about .5 km past the end of the old road
• snow pack was a little sloppy on the way back but only to a depth of about 10-15cm
• minor sluffing - signs of minor cornice failure - signs of minor normal avy activity on steep slopes
• marking was lacking .. followed some tracks along the flat area past the road but turned up and broke new trail as it seemed they were traversing farther than necessary... we then picked up some trail flagging once we started up the initial spine of Zupjok towards the peak.
• 6 of us made it all the way... we picked up the other two off Llama on the return trip
• no mosquitoes thank you very much! (unlike the West Canyon @ Golden Ears last week)
The photos are in order.
Have fun and stay safe!
Nothing worthwhile is easy.
Last edited by Rex; 04-22-2015 at 02:12 PM.