Dennett Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Dennett Lake

Just started getting on Clubtread the past couple weeks and reading through a ton of Trip Reports and thought I'd add a spring one in to get warmed up for a much better summer one.

Thought it was going to rain all week...surprised when I woke up today at....11am...and figured I should do a hike after reading through so many hikes the past few days. Decided on Dennett Lake as it's not one I would want to waste a precious summer day on. Same as Vedder Ridge, Amadis, etc.

I was dreading this hike but wanted more to see what this hike was about after hearing other people do it. And....my dreading was right. The hike is absolutely soaked with streams and rivers coming at your feet constantly...I've never hiked up so many full creek beds in my life. All the way up to the Village splitoff about 2 hours in to the hike is a rocky climb, boringish, kinda reminded me of climbing Alouette from Mike Lake for some reason. After Village there's a lot of decent sized rivers, creeks you have to cross carefully, or your whole body will be dunked as in one case. The waterfall just before getting up to Munro Lake is gorgeous, tons of water coming out. Once you finish the climbing and approaching Munro lake, it's a boggy, soggy hike. I was really really careful to not get my feet wet until a bit after Munro then I stepped in one "sponge" looks like hay over ground, and harmless, but you step in to it and my feet just drenched instantly. I was wearing non goretex trail runners figuring it wouldn't be all that bad mud wise. At that point I didn't care and just walked through water, mud whatever. Just a bunch of snow right before you get to Dennett, like 100-200m of it then you're done. Thought this hike would be a cakewalk so it made me appreciate getting to Dennett all that much more...nice with that rock wall at the back and not some random alpine lake, like say Lynn Lake.
Going back I took pictures of all the insanely wet spots, one small bridge that got blown out by probably just water...Tried to drag it up back in place but then as I was doing that started thinking if I tipped sideways and got my body and backpack completely soaked...that wouldn't be too fun...so I just dropped it.
Going back was easy, mostly ran down past the Village Trail splitoff....running down through the 4-5 creeks that the trail goes inside of.
Did it once, maybe again in a couple decades....

Start time 1:50pm
Summit 4:45pm
Back to car 6:40
4 hours 50 minutes total time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150326_163532.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	30194  

Name:	20150326_160708.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	30202  

Name:	20150326_164351.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	524.6 KB
ID:	30210  

Name:	20150326_171305.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	420.8 KB
ID:	30218  

Name:	20150326_171130.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	30226  

Name:	20150326_160712.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	30234  

Name:	20150326_165233.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	650.8 KB
ID:	30242  

Name:	20150326_163545.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	30250  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenarc View Post
Just started getting on Clubtread the past couple weeks and reading through a ton of Trip Reports and thought I'd add a spring one in to get warmed up for a much better summer one.
Welcome to Clubtread and thanks for the report.

Burke is just a swampy mess for most of the year... super buggy in the summer... but works as a shoulder season hike or a winter snowshoe if you are looking for something local and Golden Ears is closed. The mountain tends to get lots of snow ...err... if we actually have a winter.

Once a decade sounds about right

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 05:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

This is one where you pay a hefty price to get to the good stuff, but you turned around before the good stuff. You have to keep going up to Burke, Pika, and/or beyond to make a trip up to Dennett Lake worthwhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
This is one where you pay a hefty price to get to the good stuff, but you turned around before the good stuff. You have to keep going up to Burke, Pika, and/or beyond to make a trip up to Dennett Lake worthwhile.
Ya Burke summit was in the plans that day but the mix of my shoes being completely soaked and having to pick up a friend at the airport later that night, I pushed it off for a couple weeks from now. Bad memories of stepping in a random grass puddle right at the top of Granite Tors in Alaska...13k to deal with water in my shoes....didn't have backup socks at that time....I could hardly do my job for the week after. I'll have to check out Pika peak....so far I haven't found any ascents of it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

It's fair to say that even after a few weeks of dry weather in the summer, this trail can still be wet. At least you beat the bugs that'll emerge in a few weeks up there. Waterproof hiking boots are a must on this hike especially at this time of year or later in most years. There's a nice little lookout trail on the way to Dennett Lake built by the BMN that provides a great view of Golden Ears and the Fraser Valley.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 09:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenarc View Post
Ya Burke summit was in the plans that day but the mix of my shoes being completely soaked and having to pick up a friend at the airport later that night, I pushed it off for a couple weeks from now. Bad memories of stepping in a random grass puddle right at the top of Granite Tors in Alaska...13k to deal with water in my shoes....didn't have backup socks at that time....I could hardly do my job for the week after. I'll have to check out Pika peak....so far I haven't found any ascents of it.
Pika (I doubt that is the official name, if it has one) is the next bump in the line from Burke Summit. Drop off Burke and you'll eventually come across some flagging leading you up steeply.

Edit: Listed as Widgeon SW3 on Google Earth. If south side is too steep for you, traverse around the east side and head up the north side. Less steep. If I remember correctly, there is a faint trail.

Last edited by John and Katie; 03-30-2015 at 09:34 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nice shot of the falls, Greenarc. did this a few times several years ago, with a lot of snow around. This is one frequently done by our club, RMOC.

Agree with you, this is good to do on a less than stellar weather day.

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Pika (I doubt that is the official name, if it has one) is the next bump in the line from Burke Summit. Drop off Burke and you'll eventually come across some flagging leading you up steeply.

Edit: Listed as Widgeon SW3 on Google Earth. If south side is too steep for you, traverse around the east side and head up the north side. Less steep. If I remember correctly, there is a faint trail.
Thanks for that....Looked your Trail Report to Widgeon Peak and others to Coquitlam Mountain and may wait awhile to do one of those or do some recon work for it beforehand too..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 03:22 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Really wanted to do that hike with lots of snow.Oh well try again next year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page