Mt Tszil - March 8, 2015 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.
Default Mt Tszil - March 8, 2015

Brilliant day on the mountains... the well balanced, diverse group and the weather was superb.

Tszil is a peak south west of the third, uppermost Joffre Lake to the west of Slalok.

The parking lot was a skating rink... pure ice, so we all put our micro-spikes/mini-crampons on immediately as we all finalized our gear and packs. If you have never been up to the Joffre Lakes.. the trail is dead simple to follow around the first lake to the second... the first lake was mostly frozen and second lake was fully frozen on the north end with only a small area that was thawing out where the third lake drains into the second on its south end... we just stayed left of this and all was well... the summer trail runs along the east side of the lake... and from here it seems a good number of people head straight up the creek coming down from the third lake but we kept with the normal marked trail to the third lake.

The effort to reward ratio is very high on this hike (this area)...we were at the third lake carbing up and taking copious amounts of photos within 1hr 15min... be prepared to guard your food from the persistent Whiskey Jacks (read: annoying little opportunistic thieves ... I am not here to preach, but people need to &^%#% stop feeding the wildlife!) Phew ok.. so we decided the ice on third lake did not look as trustworthy and we circled back to the regular trail to continue our ascent to the moraine before the Tszil - Taylor col.

Easy going along here... I was breaking through the crust a little without snowshoes, but it was just a minor annoyance, not at all a hindrance to our pace. We did a bit of a traverse up the side of the moraine and walked the edge until the end where we were faced with a steep crusty slope requiring some solid kick steps and personal grit. Once you pass this section you rise up and over a bit of a bump and you can now see the full bowl below the col... we just angled slightly to the climbers left of center with only a few challenging sections that were solid ice. Mini-crampons or better recommended of course.

Once on the col we were rewarded with incredible views of Duffey, Twin Goat, etc... there was a quick conversation to decide if we wanted to peak Taylor or Tszil... Tszil was the original plan so we all agreed and off we went.

This is where it became more challenging... the conditions would change frequently from cutting steps in icy crust to kicking through the crust down to secondary crust about 4-8 cm deeper... the going was a little slow, but safe and fully enjoyable... we eventually came out on top after about 40 minutes. We were primarily on snow, not rock as I would imagine a summer ascent would afford. I would have preferred rock actually, but it was all good...

The peak offers an amazing close up view of Slalok and Taylor with panoramas north and south of dozens upon dozens of peaks, ridges and ranges... so much eye candy!! I hope the photos help convey the beauty of this area.

The return trip was our track in reverse with the exception that we took the bowl below Tszil down to connect with our track up just before we gained the moraine. There was anywhere from 0-30cm of windblown snow collected in various veins, but nothing really worthy of skiing imho.

Conditions: No snowshoes, crampons/mini-crampons and ice axe required.... There was one large level 3 avalanche debris pile below Slalok, but hard to estimate the age of it, could have been 1-4 days old? ... a large crown line with debris pile and a few smaller sluffs under Taylor... but otherwise the snow we were moving on was rock solid.

Have fun out there, stay safe and see you on the trails!

Regards, Rex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_08.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	28153  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_06.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	28161  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_22_Tzsil.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	28169  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_24.jpg
Views:	270
ID:	28177  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_36.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	28185  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_41_x.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	28193  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_40.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	28201  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_42_x.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	28209  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_44_x.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	28217  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_54_x.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	28225  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_63_x.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	28233  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_55_x.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	28241  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_64_x.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	28249  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_70_x.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	28257  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_69_x.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	28265  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_72_x.jpg
Views:	282
ID:	28281  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_71_x.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	28289  

Name:	20150308_Tzsil_99_GE_1.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	28297  

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Last edited by Rex; 03-12-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Corrected the spelling of some mountain names.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 01:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Thanks for the report. I hope the sun comes out again soon - I was thinking of Tszil as an upcoming destination.

Whiskey Jacks are equal parts cute, pesky, and voracious. Amazing how confident they learn to become.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Very nice. How much driving was involved? That is what scares me away from venturing out that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 PM
Ryl
Headed for the Mountains

The drive is about 2.5 hours each way, not too bad considering the scenery.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Very nice. How much driving was involved? That is what scares me away from venturing out that way.
3 hours from Pitt Meadows but we always stop to stretch, gas, coffee... so add another 30min... Duffey Road is worth it every once in a while... but Manning or the Coquihalla are only slightly more than 2 hours so I try to alternate.

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: sharing and gaining knowledge

Thx for the report Rex. Now you have inspired me to possibly go check it out myself .

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
Thanks for the report. I hope the sun comes out again soon - I was thinking of Tszil as an upcoming destination
I was thinking the same. How about Saturday March 21? The weather network shows 14 degrees and sunny weather:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-...mbia/pemberton

PS: i could do the driving part.

“Nature is always hinting at us. It hints over and over again. And suddenly we take the hint.” - Robert Frost
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:33 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinehiker View Post
Thx for the report Rex. Now you have inspired me to possibly go check it out myself .

I was thinking the same. How about Saturday March 21? The weather network shows 14 degrees and sunny weather:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-...mbia/pemberton

PS: i could do the driving part.
Sounds good! I'll make some arrangements to make myself available.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
3 hours from Pitt Meadows but we always stop to stretch, gas, coffee... so add another 30min... Duffey Road is worth it every once in a while... but Manning or the Coquihalla are only slightly more than 2 hours so I try to alternate.
Thank you. That is what I figure it will be for me from Surrey. Too much driving in a day for me.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Thank you. That is what I figure it will be for me from Surrey. Too much driving in a day for me.
Exactly. 6 hr driving for 5-6 hr hike doesn't add up. But area is fantastic John, and there are options. Taylor is marginal effort from Taylor/Tszil col, and for more challenge there is Slalok (8-9 hr return from parking at least). Katie might not be able to do that one however.

As I am somewhat familiar with overall area, for someone like you I'd recommend Mariot on the other side of Duffey. To do it in a day is quite an effort, but well within your ability. Lakes, meadows and then ridges with easy to moderate scrambling only. Late summer trip.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page