In the shadow of a Lion - Enchantment Peak 15.03.07 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default In the shadow of a Lion - Enchantment Peak 15.03.07

I'm not too sure about that old saying "what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger" as I'm pretty sure the person who said it didn't have kids. In fact, I'm under the impression that if I didn't have kids I might live to 120. As is, I'm holding out hope for 70 quality years. To think I actually had color in my hair 5 years ago...

After almost 3 months of limited outdoor adventure, including one month of every seasonal illness the season could muster, I needed to get me legs underneath me and hack/farmer’s blow out the ball of phlegmatic unfriendliness currently afflicting my lungs and sinuses.

Two weeks ago I tried to recruit a few souls to head out behind the Lions in an attempt to stand on one of those unofficially named enchanting destinations. I had a couple bites but as the day dawned, it was just Patrick (Redbeard) and I pushing our bikes up the oft-traveled road out of Lions Bay.
Whoever said “A squeaky wheel gets the grease,” obviously wasn’t accompanying Patrick up the road. Had I been sporting the mullet I had before shaving my head for the cancer cut a few weeks back, I might have been able to supply said grease. I tried drowning out the squeak with hacking coughs and diaper stories all to no avail.

Short story long, we were at the part where the HSCT drops down between the camel’s humps when Patrick realized he’d left the stove on while I realized I had the lungs of a 90 year old smoker. Having both done the West Lion before, we settled on lunching on Unnecessary instead. This would be the same day Muskeeto was on the West Lion and in fact, we’d later see him on our descent dancing around up top.

Where we went instead.

Patrick heading out along North Unnecessary ridge.

Featuring Patrick as the ...Central Lion?...

My 2nd kid doesn’t understand that he’s slowly killing me with his all hours of the morning wake-ups due to T-rex’s chasing him, Lions eating him(ironic…I know), or just plain hunger pains. Kids can be so selfish sometimes. So two weeks after Patrick and I’s jaunt, when I got the thumbs up for a sunny Saturday to myself, I had the intention of sleeping in and maybe doing Seymour or something like that. At 5:30AM I was rudely awakened by 2 WWE wrestlers raging on each other in the living room. Tough to sleep through. Guess I might as well head back to Lion’s bay.

8AM arrival was too late to find a spot in the lot, but I had my bike so wasn’t too bothered. Saw quite a few people gearing up or passing me on the way up. I had the pleasure of meeting Ashi and RIYan at the Brunswick/Lions junction and Ryan mentioned that 2 guys had been rescued somewhere in the vicinity of where I was heading. I wished them well on their adventure and continued onwards. It was already a lot hotter than I had anticipated.

Once on the ridge, I caught up with a couple who had tented overnight. They were planning on following the HSCT to the Harvey bowl and down. I relayed the information about the rescue and emphasized the part about the 2 dudes not having the right equipment. They didn’t seem bothered and followed me down to the uncomfortable downward sloping snow traverse. I’d certainly have been hesitant without pons and an axe, but as was I didn’t have too much difficulty even with the varying snow quality from step to step.

Zoom on couple in middle of uncomfortable traverse.

I decided to go for the ledge traverse under the West Lion to add a bit of spice, but due to some awkward transitions between rock and snow, I opted to go under the face on my return.

Shot of ledge traverse taken midway across uncomfortable traverse.

Half-way across the ledge, I watched the couple struggling across the first traverse. The gent was kicking steps and then supporting his girl as she faced in. I held my breath. If she slipped, regardless of his footing, they’d probably both slide off. On a scale of 1 to dead, it’d probably be somewhere around “3roken 3ones” if that happened. Luckily, it did not.

Pic of route taken off of ridge through bowl with Enchantment in sight.

When I dropped off the ridge line into the bowl behind the Lions, I paused for a good bit in the shadow. Why is it that when you are tired, everything seems a lot farther away….and in black and white?

I questioned my resolve and it said to go a bit farther to see if I felt better. My liquids were already running low. I went high at first, hoping to not have to drop into the drainage to gain the ridge. I couldn’t find an obvious way down so I backtracked into the bush before reaching this boulder field. The lazy man in me refused to take of the pons even though I’d have no need for them until the peak itself. I imagine I resembled a toddler taking to the ice for the first time.

Finally the last bit of up presented itself. Yet again, a couple awkward transitions between snow and rock and then some steep snow and I was on top.

Top.

There was a bit of a cairn on top and great views in every direction. I had trouble tearing myself away at about 2 PM, but I was already pretty beat and still had to make it back.

Old friend.

New Friend?

Seldom seen angle of Lions.

I hate when these guys photo bomb my shots.

It took a long time for me to make it back up to the HSCT. I was pretty winded. The traverse back was easy. It’s always easier with axe in my right hand versus my left. I had actually made decent time so I took another long break in the late afternoon sun. It was certainly a beaut of a day.

A little bit of down and once on the bike I made short time of the rest of the road. In the end, I probably could have done something with a little less elevation and distance but I hate unfinished business.

Now I just need the East Lion and it looks far less intimidating from the backside. Anyone ready for a summertime Thrash?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enchant7.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	27801  

Name:	enchant6.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	27809  

Name:	enchant27.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	27817  

Name:	enchant26.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	27825  

Name:	enchant25.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	27833  

Name:	enchant24.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	27841  

Name:	enchant23.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	27849  

Name:	enchant22.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	27857  

Name:	enchant21.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	27865  

Name:	enchant20.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	27873  

Name:	enchant19.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	27881  

Name:	enchant18.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	27889  

Name:	enchant17.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	27897  

Name:	enchant16.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	27905  

Name:	enchant15.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	27913  

Name:	enchant14.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	27921  

Name:	enchant13.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	27929  

Name:	enchant12.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	27937  

Name:	enchant11.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	327.1 KB
ID:	27945  

Name:	enchant10.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	27953  

Name:	enchant9.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	27961  

Name:	enchant8.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	27969  

Dac-van, ashi, tu and 1 others like this.

My hiking career: a selfish pursuit or a pursuit of self?

Last edited by thecamel; 03-11-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Some things I learned about posting TR's.

1. It's far more painful than the other CT to do a TR this way.
2. If you accidentally click on an image when you are trying to right click to get the image location, you will lose everything you typed. Happened to me twice.
3. When the site crashes like it did last night, and you click post new thread, you lose everything.
4. All in all, this will probably lead me to posting text heavy reports with the photos simply attached afterwards. If I post at all. I'll keep reading though so please fly at it!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Hey, I was thinking of doing this route with a bit of snow, i must have been racing to pose for the self-timer when you saw me up top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Summit Master

Nice to have met you, and great to see you were successful on this rather ambitious trip!

What happened to the pair that were following you? Ashi and I returned via the Harvey basin. We saw tracks and, lower down on the old road (but still way above the Lions turnoff), a bike track. We thought you may have gone up that way instead of flanking around the Lion, but I guess you didn't. I'm wondering if those tracks were from the couple you saw, or if someone else entirely was up in this area.

-Ryan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamel View Post

2. If you accidentally click on an image when you are trying to right click to get the image location, you will lose everything you typed. Happened to me twice.!
If you drag and drop it should (?) just put the image in inline, no need to right click and get image location.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
If you drag and drop it should (?) just put the image in inline, no need to right click and get image location.
Ya, I thought so too. I tried it and nothing showed up so I went with the Zeljkok manual method. If indeed the other way works, then I'd have no complaints.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.in.yaletown View Post
Nice to have met you, and great to see you were successful on this rather ambitious trip!

What happened to the pair that were following you? Ashi and I returned via the Harvey basin. We saw tracks and, lower down on the old road (but still way above the Lions turnoff), a bike track. We thought you may have gone up that way instead of flanking around the Lion, but I guess you didn't. I'm wondering if those tracks were from the couple you saw, or if someone else entirely was up in this area.

-Ryan
I was a little concerned so I tried to keep an eye out. I thought I maybe saw them on the ridge above me on my return through the bowl, but I doubt it as that would have meant it took them 2 hours to get to that point. They either turned back or I missed them. I was hoping to run into them on the way down (my bike was stashed just before the trail drops down across the bridge) but I didn't.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Such a huge difference in snow levels. Here's what it looked like when I went there in early April 2007.

Nice little peak though.
Attached Images

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Hsct

Do you think if this weather keeps up the howe sound crest trail will be doable without microspikes come the end of may?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling

@mattonka:

Hard to say, looks like another pineapple (more snow up top) coming in this wknd. We did the HSCT on Saturday & Sunday from Lions Bay (brunswick trail) to Magnesia Meadows. We came out from the Harvey Basin. Still lots of snow and it was hardpack/icy. Will post a TR with more conditions.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 06:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I had the same thing happen to me when I'de try and click back, the page was expired and I lost everything. So now I just upload all the thumbnails post the TR, then go back and edit the TR by opening the thumbnails and getting the image location and inserting it into the posted TR. There has got to be a better way.

Not to sidetrack your TR , good to see you getting back out, nice little trip and good call on the bike.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
So now I just upload all the thumbnails post the TR, then go back and edit the TR by opening the thumbnails and getting the image location and inserting it into the posted TR.
That IS the way & I do the same. It is important though that people keep posting wonderful reports like this one; rest is just getting used to new ways

Re East Lion: There are few good TRs here on CT & it seems to be more than 1 way up. I recall Marek and Gordon going up same way as Dean (pic at top of report), but it seems Simon & Spectrum took the different line. Regardless of the route this looks to be more than just a scramble.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

See. and now I can't see the thumbnails I imbedded in the report. Guess I'll have to edit that.

@zeljkok: I don't know. From Simon's TR I'd say its a "stiff" scramble/bushwack.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
See. and now I can't see the thumbnails I imbedded in the report. Guess I'll have to edit that.

@zeljkok: I don't know. From Simon's TR I'd say its a "stiff" scramble/bushwack.
I remember a couple of reports - if memory serves, the "easiest" route up involves Class 4 scrambling.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:

1. It's far more painful than the other CT to do a TR this way.
2. If you accidentally click on an image when you are trying to right click to get the image location, you will lose everything you typed. Happened to me twice.
3. When the site crashes like it did last night, and you click post new thread, you lose everything.
4. All in all, this will probably lead me to posting text heavy reports with the photos simply attached afterwards. If I post at all. I'll keep reading though so please fly at it!
Please keep posting! Your reports are always entertaining and helpful. But I agree with the rest.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page