Mt Matier - East Ridge+NE Spur - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Mt Matier - East Ridge+NE Spur

Admittedly the NE Spur route has been done a lot, but it was still a good weekend out on a familiar mountain.

Quentin, Jen, Chris, and I ventured up to Keith's hut and found a circus up there. Lots of hikers during the day, but the evening found about 15 of us in the hut, a mix of mountaineers, hikers, and optimistic skiers.

The conditions were prime for mountaineering, and Jen, Chris and I set off at 4am from the hut for a climb on the East ridge. Quentin's knees were causing concern, so he slept in. A very reasonable choice!

the 3 of us slogged up the east ridge in the dark, and soon found ourselves on a snow crest with good exposure. I was happy it was dark still and couldn't quite make out just how exposed it was. Chris climbed up the first steep section where he found an exposed, snow, and corniced ridge. So we opted to downclimb off the east ridge, and join up with the NE Spur. We only roped up for a short section of downclimbing on questionable snow, otherwise the rope stayed in the bag, no pro (rock or snow) got used. We all got some great exersize!

The technical climbing is very short it seems on the east ridge, so we didn't miss out on a lot. While I didn't tick it off, it's my 3rd attempt on the ridge, and it's now at the bottom of the list. Much more fun stuff to do.

We then joined up with the col, and did the standard NE Spur route. Chris and Jen stayed on the ridge crest, while I tried some 4th class rock, which was slow and tedious. I stuck to the snow the rest of the way up.

We took a few summit shots on a great clear day, and quickly got back to the hut 2 hours after summitting. The 4 of us quickly packed up, and headed down to the truck for beers and the ride home.

Here's a link to the photos, I can't be bother editing the size for CT:https://www.flickr.com/photos/124474...7651114230842/

Last edited by trail_blazer3; 03-02-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 PM
DPM
Off the Beaten Path

Good attempt on the E Ridge! The technical sections on the E Ridge are very short. It's an aesthetic line to complete, but it essentially dumps you off at the start of the NE Spur anyways. Probably a better route later in the year, once more of the snow has burned off.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks Don! I've always wanted to do it, but every time something comes up. I think you're right when it comes to the snow though, better when it's burned off. Still a good route, might give it a go again some time in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail_blazer3 View Post
but the evening found about 15 of us in the hut, a mix of mountaineers, hikers, and optimistic skiers.
Good to know they are still out there
Congratulations on getting your goal in the bag! Nice pics!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningclouds View Post
Good to know they are still out there
Congratulations on getting your goal in the bag! Nice pics!
Thanks! The east ridge was the main objective though, so I didn't quite tick it off. I've been up matier before, so I can imagine it might seem wierd to have an approach route as an objective

And conditions above motel 66 were really reasonable for skiing given it hasn't snowed in so long. I'd definitely be on skis if I went back!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 05:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Always a nice looking mountain to look at TR's from. Good stuff.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page