• 1 Post By KARVITK
  • 1 Post By Ryan.in.yaletown
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling
Default Rohr Lake Trail - February 14, 2015

When we set off for Rohr Lake last Saturday, given the weather, I was expecting skiers and snowshoers all over the trail; I was surprised when we didn't run in to anyone all day. Is Rohr that underrated?

The plan was to take our time up the trail, squeeze in as many blood sugar checks as possible, and consistently eat carbs throughout the day. I was playing around with my basal rate (hourly insulin intake) and I was trying out a few new sources of carbs including: Gu Chomps and Gu Energy Gels. I kept my blood sugar levels a little elevated throughout the day; I was not sure how the basal rate reduction and new carb sources would affect my blood sugar levels. When outdoors, I prefer high blood sugars over low blood sugars when I am making any adjustments to my diabetes management.

We parked at the usual winter parking spot across from the salt shed and walked down the road to the trail head. We put on our snowshoes within a few steps on to the road.
The first part of the hike steeply followed through the forest; the trail was well marked. To avoid sinking, we followed ski tracks (down tracks) the entire day and lost sight of the markers in a few different areas. The snow was well consolidated and supportive to snowshoes.

Trip Report: http://www.ashikaparsad.com/2015/02/...l-in-february/

Some Pics:

mazeGirl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 02:07 AM
Banned

What was so great about spring weather/snow that snowshoers and skiers be all over the trail? This weather does not get me excited a single bit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 09:46 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi View Post
I was trying out a few new sources of carbs including: Gu Chomps and Gu Energy Gels.
Ashi, you may also want to try out Vega Sport Endurance Gel; an all natural plant based gel with low and high glycemic carbs. In my opinion though, all carb gels contain similar ingredients...either maltodextrin, sucrose, glucose, fructose or a combination of them. Try to stay away from maltodextrin based ingredients.
Here is complete comparison of various gels. http://www.energygelcentral.com/ener...el-comparisons
Quote:
Blood sugar levels seemed to ‚Äėspike' during steep up-hill sections.Possibly due to a correlation between adrenaline and blood sugar levels.
This would seem to be the case. The stress from intense physical exercise releases counter regulatory hormones (adrenaline, glucagon, cortisol) which targets the liver to produce more glucose.

Quote:
Reduced Basal Rate at the start of the hike.
According to a clinical trial by Franck Mauvais-Jarvis, MD et.al. (2003), Type 1 diabetics can reduce their insulin dose by 50 to 90% without inducing hypoglycemia after intense exercise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Outdoors, sweet campervans, corporate job avoidance

Hey Ashi - great pics; that's cool that you were up there. Skiing to the summit of Rohr is one of my favorites and from a couple of your photos, it's amazing how low the snow pack is over the boulder field (below the lake). Looks like a rocky pillow line now and it's usually totally filled in. Such a crazy year for the backcountry. Glad you enjoyed it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 12:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
What was so great about spring weather/snow that snowshoers and skiers be all over the trail? This weather does not get me excited a single bit.
Your happiness is inspiring. I love your motivational quotes. Now draw the curtains will you. The **** sunshine is getting in my eyes.
mick range and Spectrum like this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, mountain biking, skiing, talking to my puppy, trekking in Nepal

We're all riding our bikes!
ashi likes this.

Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM
Summit Master

Hey mods... the original posting (the one with the actual TR) seems to have somehow disappeared, and now the leading post on here is actually the first reply to the original (and now disappeared) TR. How'd that happen?

-Ryan
ashi likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:08 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Not sure. Let me look into it.

EDIT: verified ashi is still a CT member. No moderators deleted her post. Therefore, no idea where it went. Will ask Jeff to check the database side of things.
ashi likes this.

Last edited by Dru; 02-23-2015 at 01:11 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks BW, I've read Rohr is a great skiing destination. I'll be on snowshoes for atleast a season or 2 more .

Solo, thanks again for the info (not sure where it went on the thread). I tried gels this wknd (TR coming) which were sweetened with maltodextrin - specifically, Hammer Gels. I burned through them within 30-40 minutes before my blood sugars started trending low again. I ate Shotbloks every hour and Gu Chomps when I had to raise sugar levels, this worked well for me.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I second Guntis comments; Ashi you are truly inspiring in getting out and doing these trips and sharing your experiences. Awesome you get out there and managing your sugar levels.

Look forward to seeing you again on the trails.

K
ashi likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 AM
Summit Master

Thanks Dru/mods, I assume it was a database issue:

Solo: thanks for that link, interesting info. I've recently discovered the Root Beer flavour of the Gu gels, which I absolutely love and actually tastes good... good timing too, since I've been getting sick of my standard go-to, Cliff Bloks.

BDoubleYou: It's a rediculously low snow year, at least in lower and mid elevations. Snowpack is probably a good 2-3 months ahead of schedule in a lot of the local areas. Great for early spring trips in February, but probably will mean a long dry summer and, unfortunately, a high forest fire risk.

-Ryan
ashi likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
ASHI: You go, girl! we love those inspiring TR's , even if Arnold has to pour water on our cornflakes .... Actually, I kind of like his bad ass provocations ... keeps things nimble around CT
ashi likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Banned

Not a provocation. Just stating the facts.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Thanks for the support, all!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 05:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Not a provocation. Just stating the facts.
well, I do sort of mean it in jest, but ya gotta admit Arnold .... you're not really known around CT for your sense of humour! That said, your candor certainly has its place. Comes in mighty handy when the odd CT'er starts cryin' in their beer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page