Mt Killam - Gambier Island - early season delight - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Mt Killam - Gambier Island - early season delight

With the early spring weather I decided to get hiking season off to a roaring start. Yesterday the February sun was brilliant in the morning, so very inviting! The day's meetings were cancelled or postponed. so I grabbed my gear and dashed down to the 9:50 mini-ferry from Langdale over to new Brighton, Gambier Island for a scamper up Mt Killam. My first Gambier hike was Mt Artaban in 1973 but i've never done Mt Killam. A while back Zelzkok posted a TR on this self same hill and I have since been inspired to get up there. Check out his excellent TR for great photos and good info

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...mt-killam.html

I made it up and back to the wharf by 3:15 so a little over a five hour round trip, with breaks. A pace that yielded some soreness at this early stage of the season. I was further motivated to check out this dominant island dome by reports from friends who have found access to the Trailhead confusing and in need of updates. Indeed the buzz of residential lot clearing, wood lot harvesting and new spur roads here and there make the route to the TH less than obvious. I have included pics of two GPX tracks overlain on Google earth images, in perspective and plan view, along with five numbered key photos indicating landmarks along the way. This should make things obvious. I'd be pleased to provide my GPX track to guide along the confusing maze of roads to the TH. Just message me and i'll send it.

Important to note the TH is at the gravel pit at the end of the forest road, several km from the dock. The TH is off to the left before the pit but it has been obliterated. The pics should make it clear. The trail is generally well blazed and ribboned. You will find it starts ABOVE the gravel pit following the ridge with the creek to your left. It soon meanders along the falling boundary of a small woodlot cutblock. This is a pain in the butt as windthrown trees, branches and deadfall impede your path for a few hundred meters.

You'll find this trail ambles for several km along the gravel road, then gently climbs for 1/2 km from the gravel pit, runs along some new road work, re-enters the forest and then veers left for a steady, sometimes steep climb to the top. Along the way you'll see the gargoyle stump (this is actually a 'live stump' where the cork cambium inner bark cells keep growing once the tree is cut). There is a nasty patch of blowndown timber, with piles of scrappy branches about 2/3 the way up the mountain. Go around this stuff.

The viewpoint prior to the summit affords superb views. The summit, some 20 min further is utterly unremarkable, being fully treed. There is a rock cairn there and what looks like a geocache. Other than that, not much else at the summit.

It was a fine, sunny day and the hike was grand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_brighton_elphie_view.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	19874  

Name:	mt_killam_route.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	19882  

Name:	mt_killam_route_planview.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	19890  

Name:	Picture_one.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	19898  

Name:	Picture_two.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	779.1 KB
ID:	19906  

Name:	Picture_three.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	19914  

Name:	Picture_four.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	539.0 KB
ID:	19922  

Name:	Picture_five.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	19930  

Name:	Killam_Viewpoint_east.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	19938  

Name:	Killam_viewpoint_west.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	19946  

Dac-van likes this.

Last edited by xj6response; 02-19-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default The old Gambier island trail map... FYI

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gambier_trails.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	22801  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version