Mt. Beautiful & Dilly Dally Peak : ) - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Re Dilly/Dally -- I've also done it several times. It is not to be taken lightly though. In summer & long days there is no problem navigating; right now, judging by some pics from Ashi&Ryan report there might be. Key is to be prepared; that latest episode with Coq rescue is best indicator.
Keep in mind that Ashi's trip was almost 2 weeks ago. There was a good dump of snow on the 24th. We went up Harvey on the 25th and the snow line was around 750m. About 15-20cm of new at the summit.

I agree on navigating that ridge. Lindsay Lake to Mt. Beautiful to Swan Falls/DD junction can be difficult to find your way in snow. But I think the route from DD/Swan Falls junction to DD peak is fairly straight-forward. Reminds me of the guy we came across on this hike. He passed us as we were descending the Swan Falls trail and mentioned he was totally depending on our tracks. All he had with him was his dog, a light jacket in his hand, and the very light clothing he was wearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte_Lake View Post
Thanks Ashi, and John too. Gives me an idea of the snow level and what to expect on the trail. I hiked Lindsay Lake Loop a few years back and have always meant to explore more out here. Once you get the elevation out of the way it is very pleasant wandering up that ridge
Keep in mind there are still some steep up and down to deal with once past Lindsay Lake towards Mt. Beautiful.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Keep in mind that Ashi's trip was almost 2 weeks ago. There was a good dump of snow on the 24th. We went up Harvey on the 25th and the snow line was around 750m. About 15-20cm of new at the summit.

I agree on navigating that ridge. Lindsay Lake to Mt. Beautiful to Swan Falls/DD junction can be difficult to find your way in snow. But I think the route from DD/Swan Falls junction to DD peak is fairly straight-forward. Reminds me of the guy we came across on this hike. He passed us as we were descending the Swan Falls trail and mentioned he was totally depending on our tracks. All he had with him was his dog, a light jacket in his hand, and the very light clothing he was wearing.
Coming down DD this afternoon was slippery at times in the wet and heavy snow. Snow obscured the route at times too leaving me hunting around for flagging more than once. Had the summit to myself, and in fact didn't see anyone the entire hike (up Swan, over the ridge to Dilly-Dally and then down the DD trail). Gaiters and poles useful right now. Also lots of spring mud up there after this week's rain.

For others planning to go if you have a beater bike you're willing to lock at the TH I recommend it. Cut down the KMs for me today and easy riding on the Powerhouse Rd.

Lastly, I have to say I much preferred Swan Falls trail over Dilly-Dally trail. Liked the peak a lot, but would go via Swan and backtrack. I found the DD trail loooong with a lot of slippery steep road to navigate. Blowdown tired me out after awhile. Either way though, the whole ridge is really beautiful and a great option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DillyDally-6.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	37217  

Name:	DillyDally-5.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	605.0 KB
ID:	37225  

Name:	DillyDally-13.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	937.9 KB
ID:	37233  

Name:	DillyDally-9.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	37241  

Name:	DillyDally-3.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	572.1 KB
ID:	37249  

Last edited by Whyte_Lake; 05-02-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added photos to show snow level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Quote:
Lastly, I have to say I much preferred Swan Falls trail over Dilly-Dally trail. Liked the peak a lot, but would go via Swan and backtrack. I found the DD trail loooong
Agree with you there Whyte_Lake... Dilly Dally was not much of a reward for the effort... I would sooner do anything in the Chilliwack Valley for greater payoff.

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Whyte_Lake: Well done, that is a good haul. Must have been quite an adventure coming down the initial north side descent of DD with a mixture of slushy snow. I agree...continuing north after DD isn't worth it.
Whyte_Lake likes this.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 01:38 AM
Summit Master

Interesting, most don't think much of north side of DD. My feelings are mixed. On my 1st trip I traversed whole Eagle ridge to DD, and then descended north side; that was brutal with snow / ice and these steep initial slopes were even dangerous. But my 2nd time I went up from north side; it was dry and I enjoyed steep bit from the pass -- some nice scrambling, couple of ropes etc

Congrats Whyte_Lake, that is indeed long haul as John says. Wish you were posting more trip reports
post #22 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Congrats Whyte_Lake, that is indeed long haul as John says. Wish you were posting more trip reports
Thank you both John and Zeljkok.

I like writing trip reports and find as I hike I take mental notes but then forget details when I am tired after the day. Perhaps I should carry a dictaphone

I'll take this opportunity to thank you both for all the great trip reports. Just the other day read both of yours from Goat Ridge. Couldn't stop looking over there from Skyline Ridge at the gondola the other week.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Interesting, most don't think much of north side of DD. My feelings are mixed. On my 1st trip I traversed whole Eagle ridge to DD, and then descended north side; that was brutal with snow / ice and these steep initial slopes were even dangerous. But my 2nd time I went up from north side; it was dry and I enjoyed steep bit from the pass -- some nice scrambling, couple of ropes etc

I was too vague. I do enjoy that initial descent to the pass and then down to the creek crossing around 800m, but once you hit that old skid road, that is it, all long road travel back to the car from there.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 04:07 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
I was too vague. I do enjoy that initial descent to the pass and then down to the creek crossing around 800m, but once you hit that old skid road, that is it, all long road travel back to the car from there.
Totally agreed on this John

Quote:
Just the other day read both of yours from Goat Ridge. Couldn't stop looking over there from Skyline Ridge at the gondola the other week.
Goat is fantastic, but doesn't really lend itself as day hike. Long and lots of vertical, so you are in time crunch. Ridge just begs to be explored, lots of tiny ponds, bluffs, everything that makes coast hiking special. But you can't really spend more than couple of hours, always with an eye on the clock.

Think I said in report too -- Goat ridge is better as backpack. Set up camp at "Lake District" (10 - 15 min past rope step), then devote full day for wondering around. Perhaps gondola will clear up some alternate access (i.e south from Wrinkle Rock / Sea-to-Summit, across Gonzales Creek and up) that will be faster.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Banned

Hey John, did I see a pic of Katie on the BC news channel during the weather report?
post #26 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
Hey John, did I see a pic of Katie on the BC news channel during the weather report?
You did. I really thought this one was going to win, but she got beat by another sunset shot. Damn sunset shots. ; )

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005 (1024x503).jpg
Views:	320
Size:	518.4 KB
ID:	38345  

sixer likes this.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:25 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Being outside as much as possible
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the input. I did Dilly Dally last weekend and did a full loop going up Dilly Dally Trail to the summit, over to Mt. Beautiful and carried on through Lindsay Lakes and down. There was barely any snow but what there was I used for face washing and cooling off. Going up Dilly Dally was a bit hit and miss and I was grateful for the bits of flagging tape here and there. Talk about a lot of blowdown. Next time I go I plan to ascend via Swan Falls and then check out the summits of Dilly Dally and Mt. Beautiful and then go back Swan Falls or possibly Lindsay Lakes again. I saw so much the other day I could barely take it in. It was gorgeous up there, if a bit hazy.

Also, thanks for the info on Beagles. I'm still deciding on which dog to get. There are so many dogs out there needing rescue. I will probably get a larger dog though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11187848_10152815531026190_3797025778177646000_o.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	39825  

Name:	Dilly Dally Ingrid-002.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	39833  

post #28 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 02:01 PM
Summit Master

That's very nice map. Did your gps temporarily lose reception at Dally col (where all the blowdown is)? I also felt flagging was helpful there
post #29 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgie View Post
Thanks for all the input. I did Dilly Dally last weekend and did a full loop going up Dilly Dally Trail to the summit, over to Mt. Beautiful and carried on through Lindsay Lakes and down. There was barely any snow but what there was I used for face washing and cooling off. Going up Dilly Dally was a bit hit and miss and I was grateful for the bits of flagging tape here and there. Talk about a lot of blowdown. Next time I go I plan to ascend via Swan Falls and then check out the summits of Dilly Dally and Mt. Beautiful and then go back Swan Falls or possibly Lindsay Lakes again. I saw so much the other day I could barely take it in. It was gorgeous up there, if a bit hazy.

Also, thanks for the info on Beagles. I'm still deciding on which dog to get. There are so many dogs out there needing rescue. I will probably get a larger dog though.
I didn't give you any info. on Beagles. I gave you info. on Katie. ; )

Well done on the long loop. If you do it again, I'd recommend the 'viewpoints' trail over the lake district trail. A bit longer and some minor elevation loss/gain, but a soft trail through a beautiful old growth forest. You avoid much of the mud as well.
Norgie likes this.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 01:53 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Being outside as much as possible

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure if the GPS lost reception or not....sorry.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page