Mountain lake hut - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Mountain lake hut

After reading 'Grousegrinders TR from last year I thought this was a perfect trip to do.

I headed up on August 27th for an overnighter.
The gate was open on arrival, but there was a sign telling anyone entering to contact a # of a guy in charge of logging activities in the area. Got the all clear from him.

Managed to drive the entire road up to the trail ( driving a 4x4 truck long box ) with a few scraps of the bumpers in the wells near the end.

Trail was a little difficult to find but once found it was well marked. ( the trail report in the other section describes it to a "T". So nothing to add , besides I normally let my photos do the talking)

Nice little hut, well kept. Loved reading all the log entries.
Had the place to myself, pretty cool. Loved looking over at Sky Pilot and wondering if anyone was up there .
The only people I ever saw was the two guys on the way back on the road practicing there rifle skills.

would love to add more photos but they are all over 1.5 mb each
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Are you on Mac or PC?
On PC, you can use Microsoft Picture Manager (usually built-in) to resize photos.

You can also resize online: http://www.picresize.com/

Always interested in photos from this area.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Summit Master

This is not about pic editors, but I'd recommend Irfan View. Both PC and MAC versions, free and light. For many it is best picture editor ever. 1.5MB limit on CT is for a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

Enjoy the place as long as you can as the Forestry and mining manager will be installing yet another big nasty gate to stop ALL of us from entering . Britannia side as it is mining reclamation and Furry creek side because you can still hike into the mining area. Biggest concern was the amount of guns and ammo trading hands ( as well as shooting across the valley ) and the ignorant 4x4 crowd tearing the daylights out of every trail. So the law abiding and the gentle 4x4 crowd who have a hike in mind will soon be banned from enjoying the area due to a select few idiots. If you are caught behind a locked gate it is 100.00 to open it for you. On Britannia main if you are caught by the mine manager the fine can be up to 3000.00 (according to sources in Britannia ). This is the west side of the open pit and that big crack has been there for some time but it is getting bigger. Guilder and assoc. still monitoring it, even though the rifle crowd shot at the flags and any device that was up there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Summit Master

So what happens with BCMC Mountain Lake Hut then? Only access via Gondola - Sky Pilot? One or two hardy souls, if any, per year?

btw gate at top of hill above Furry Creek was closed last week.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brucew

Enjoy the place as long as you can as the Forestry and mining manager will be installing yet another big nasty gate to stop ALL of us from entering . Britannia side as it is mining reclamation and Furry creek side because you can still hike into the mining area. Biggest concern was the amount of guns and ammo trading hands ( as well as shooting across the valley ) and the ignorant 4x4 crowd tearing the daylights out of every trail. So the law abiding and the gentle 4x4 crowd who have a hike in mind will soon be banned from enjoying the area due to a select few idiots. If you are caught behind a locked gate it is 100.00 to open it for you. On Britannia main if you are caught by the mine manager the fine can be up to 3000.00 (according to sources in Britannia ). This is the west side of the open pit and that big crack has been there for some time but it is getting bigger. Guilder and assoc. still monitoring it, even though the rifle crowd shot at the flags and any device that was up there.
The usual story... Maybe the BCMC will get a key again.

I think that might be Golder and Associates not Guilder. Frank Baumann wrote about the crack a few years ago. I wonder about all the real estate development down in Britannia. Seems a bit worrisome to me. Guess not to the developer's shills and the punters buying it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Big nasty yellow gate already installed and locked at the top of the hill entrance last weekend. Didnt look at the Fury creek entrance, but that has been closed for a while I think.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for the photo info guys, easiest thing for me too do is just set the camera on a lower setting next time.
And yes I know there is a reason for the size limit, no complaints

In my write up I did leave out that when I was exiting the FSR the BIG UGLY GATE was actually closed! But luckily it was not locked
Since then I have picked up a battery operated zip cutter for future use if needed. [8D]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 09:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking on and off trails , maintaining certain trails. recumbent bike on log/mining roads, and KVR, and for excercise in absolute comfort.

[

I think that might be Golder and Associates not Guilder. Frank Baumann wrote about the crack a few years ago. I wonder about all the real estate development down in Britannia. Seems a bit worrisome to me. Guess not to the developer's shills and the punters buying it.
[/quote]
Ahh you would probably be correct as I get "Princess Brides" enemies mixed up with government agencies.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Headed for the Mountains

post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow that crack is very worrisome. Some excessive rain, wet spell and an earthquake will set that loose...

Nice shot of the hut on top...

K
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 PM
High on the Mountain Top

BCMC now has a key thanks to DS but it can only be used on scheduled club trips by club members.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

[

Ahh you would probably be correct as I get "Princess Brides" enemies mixed up with government agencies.
[/quote]

Well, you got me there. No idea what "Princess Brides" is all about and why they've got enemies. Is that something that comes with your "data plan"? I've been told I need one.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Well, you got me there. No idea what "Princess Brides" is all about and why they've got enemies. Is that something that comes with your "data plan"? I've been told I need one.
[/quote]
have you never watched, The Princess Bride. A movie filled with wit,sarcasm , humor and of course a happy ending.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:

Quote:
quote:
have you never watched, The Princess Bride. A movie filled with wit,sarcasm , humor and of course a happy ending.
Inconceivable!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page