Three Brothers, Heather Trail - Sept.06.14 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Default Three Brothers, Heather Trail - Sept.06.14

This was the second hike out of our camp, at Lone Duck #1. Part of our group were divided on choices after doing Skyline trail the day before, and some had just in fresh late the day before from the big city...

My choice was Three Brothers, and same for other members of our club. Most however only went part way. Two of us decided to go all the way.

Morning breakfast, late co-ordinating, and a bit of a drive.. first stop at Cascades Lookout for some great views for the first-timers to this area.

The paved road became gravel, and so we drove further to the upper parking lot by trailhead. Got ready and geared up, we hit the trail about 10 am from the start of the Heather Trail. Immaculate weather, clear and sunny and warm, with a cool morning start. Not many people yet at the parking lot...
we could see Three Brothers in the distance, north..

There were blueberries to eat, and some tiny huckleberries on just as tiny bushes...
Really enjoyed the broad well maintained trail....

After a break got into the meadows....and great views of faraway mountains.

We made reasonable time at a relaxed pace...finding wildflowers were still fresh looking at the highest part of the trial. Otherwise they had dried out and gone to seed elsewhere.

We got close to Three Brothers, took a break and snack to delay lunch and on we went.

We hiked up... found the branch trail (TH) TO Three Brothers, and headed up...

my partner decided to stay at the midpoint of the ridge. I dropped my pack and quickly made it to the top.

..The panorama from there is amazing:

Time to head back and down.. the trail on the steep part is rocky, but easy..

Stepped off trail, to get a better view of the north side of the ridge...

We had spotted a tarn from top, so we check this out on our way back...
. and the neat plants. Great view north shows the ridge continues a long way north... to Kicking Horse and Nicomen lake. Neither place I had visited, sometime though.

On our return, the shadows lent some crisp texture to the landscapae east from near the trailhead...

A fine day done, 21.5 km round trip which took 7-1/2 hours including lunch and some good sized breaks for snacks, relaxation, and pictures.

Below.. google earth images of the GPS track, plus parts near Three Brothers Mtn.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Scaling New Heights

Nice pictures. Did Three Brothers on Sunday and it was great. Great views.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Quote:
quote:My choice was Three Brothers, and same for other members of our club. Most however only went part way. Two of us decided to go all the way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Nice meadows! How is the bear situation in your area?

I've been afraid to go out by myself around here, as it was such a dry summer we have no berries to speak of, and there has been a big problem with bears coming into people's backyards for crab apples, etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Hi Doug.

There are bears around, but did not see any where near the trail. And saw only one partial sign along the entire route.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Summit Master

Great pictures Karl ! Been there so many times and never get tired of that area or hike.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Thank you Russ. Really enjoyed this one, and plan on revisiting again, and go to Fourth Brother next time. The 360 Vistas and the landscapes will call me again soon.

K
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice report Karle, have to get up there someday

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Whatever puts a smile on my face!

wow....what weather you had. Great pics. This trail is one of my favourite places on earth. My girlfriend and I were up there on the 30th on August. The weather changed from rain to sun to cloud to snow as we summited first brother. The wind picked up as we attempted a mountain top lunch....total fail and as we finally submitted to the elements and packed up for a retreat a really nasty cloud coming our way broke apart over top of us sending rain down both valleys on either side of the peak, bathing us in sunshine and creating this....

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Nighthawk

wow....what weather you had. Great pics. This trail is one of my favourite places on earth. My girlfriend and I were up there on the 30th on August. The weather changed from rain to sun to cloud to snow as we summited first brother. The wind picked up as we attempted a mountain top lunch....total fail and as we finally submitted to the elements and packed up for a retreat a really nasty cloud coming our way broke apart over top of us sending rain down both valleys on either side of the peak, bathing us in sunshine and creating this....

Wow you sure got a powerful dish of weather from mother nature.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page