Plan B Weekend - Brothers 3, 4 & Granite Falls - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: 10%
Default Plan B Weekend - Brothers 3, 4 & Granite Falls

The weekend started early on a Friday with BobW and myself driving up Highway 3 to the Cayoose Creek FSR turnoff. This is the logging/mine road that has been used the past year to access Silverdaisy, Eastpoint, Claimstake and Hatchethead as the gate has been open and the road gets you up to the Silverdaisy Pass area.

To our dismay there were 3 very fresh concrete blocks half buried right in front of the gate/bridge. There goes our attempt for Brice.

Bummer.

Now what? We looked at the mapbook and decided to continue in to Manning Park as not all peaks off the Heather Trail had been done. Instead of bushwacking, route finding and maybe a nice scramble we elected to take an easy going trail mostly in the alpine.

Up Blackwall Peak road we drive where cell/data signals are strong and I cache a topo map of the area and off we go. Bugs are minimal, some flowers still around and we didn't see anyone for the next 8 hours.

Lupines and a view southwards.

Bob at the Big Buck/Three Brothers (1st Brother) col.

Somewhere around here we took our first break. I'd done Three Brothers (1st) and Second Brother whilst Bob had just done 1st. We chose to head for Third, then go to Fourth Brother before looping back to "Cousin Peak" and maybe go up Second then Big Buck on the way out.

Zoom on Silvertip with Brice at left. Eastpoint and Claimstake in front of Silvertip.

Hozameen. Couple of CTers heading there this day.

After crossing a small creek we took grass slopes straight up the 3rd Brother and enjoyed the views from up there.

Westward towards Fourth Brother and beyond to Outram and Snass areas.

2246m summit shot. Three Brothers behind Bob, Second behind me.

Cousin Peak. Frosty, Hozameen and Picket Range in the distance.

Bob left with me following 10 minutes later. Mixed bag of rock, talus and grass/trees down to the next col (and blueberries) then straight up to Fourth Brother (2154m) where we traversed the summit ridge, returned and took a break.

Lake below on the north side.

Bob and a view to other Brothers and a small in stature Cousin.

Leaving this peak we angled down to the main trail, followed it up to the Third/Cousin col and wandered up to Cousin (2110m). Nice views from here too.

Looking back towards Fourth Brother.

From here it's Third, First and Second.

Back on the trail we follow it back towards the Big Buck area and quickly ascend that. Bob decided he'd bring his wife back to this area so they can do the 2 highest summits.

Big Buck from just off trail.

And Three Brothers in the other direction.

We top out on Big Buck (2147m), get on the trail and walk out.

Chuwanten area at left, Lago and other peaks in the distance.

A post hike beer is enjoyed then we head down to the lodge for some food before starting the drive back to Chilliwack. 9 hours on the trail and 4 new peaks for me (and 3 for Bob) made for a pretty good Plan B. However...

Taking all my gear out of Bob's jeep I could not find my camera. A search yielded no results so I thought back to last picture taking and standing by the jeep - I had taken a pill for a mild headache, put on some clothes, grabbed a beer and phone. Start to remember putting the camera down (stored at that time in a purple soft sunglasses bag/case) either on the rear tire or atop the flared wheel well.

So, the camera could be crushed by the tire or maybe sitting there or someone could have picked it up. Nearly 10pm by now so I decide to head back up and hope. No one in the parking lot up there when we left but 2 vehicles going up when we went down.

Long drive back, up the mountain road and I turn into the upper lot where the 2 vehicles are parked along with a tent. I drive another 50 feet to where we had parked and see something on the gravel. Jumping out I'm happy to find my camera sitting there all fine in it's purple bag. Works okay too. I think I must have left it on the fender flare and it slid off when we drove away.

Even longer drive back to Vancouver and it's past 2am when I get home. Saturday is spent as an easy going day then Sunday morning I drive up to Squamish and onto the recently fully opened Stawamus-Indian River Road.

A couple of Fridays ago Just B and I had driven down to Indian Arm along with checking out Hixon Creek FSR as some plans were afoot. Mine was to come back and try for Hixon Peak from the Coquitlam Watershed gate but this time drive all the way there unlike last time I came here and biked 60km or so when doing Bonnycastle.

A rainy friday night at the head of Indian Arm.

The SIR Road is basically mid clearance 4x4 the whole way with a few steep/loose sections. Justin and I had seen Active Logging signs on Hixon as well as the Norton Spur. Graders, dump trucks and excavators in the area too. That's why I went in this time on a Sunday.

Didn't matter as new signs say it's 7 days a week and I talked with a guy at the Hixon junction and logging is happening for the next month or so. Plan B is hastily thought out so I continue on to Indian Arm and think of some options. I could go back a bit and try to bushwack up questionable terrain to Mount Felix or perhaps take an easier stroll along the old Grand Creek FSR towards Granite Falls.

Edit. Forgot early morning pictures from head of Indian Arm:

Small dock and log pusher boat with the Wigwam Inn and expensive vessels in the background.

And a view southwards over quiet water which would soon be dotted with pleasure boats.

Never been there and it is a place I'd like to visit so I follow the old road (now part of the Indian Arm Trail) for a while. After a gentle rise it reaches Grand Creek where the bridge is long gone. I decide to spend some time here as the granite rock, waterfalls and cascades are scenic.

Then I start to work my way down either on the granite or by bushwacking or a steep and faint trail. Various pictures whilst doing that. As the falls were mostly well shaded I could do a short time lapse at a higher F stop.

1. Cascade.
2. Cascade over an old weir.
3. The old weir that once helped control flow.
4. Old piping and hose in the forest. Concrete foundations still around to hold piping coming down the hillside.
5. Lower down.

Plenty of people who'd boated in seen below me, some jumping in the pools of water.

Last waterfall shot.

Indian Arm.

Looking down lower Granite Falls - low flow right now too.

I lied, 2 more waterfall shots.

Eventually I reach the bottom, chat with a lady then walk out towards the shoreline.

Granite Falls looking up.

Upper Indian Arm.

Full flow would be impressive I would think.

I walked along to the public moorage/picnic area then saw a fence above me so scrambled up there to a flat area which showed old signs of cabins. Traversing north it got cliffy so I went straight up on a small mossy rib that had metal spikes driven into it. Above that I found an old trail which took me back up to the old road.

Down that to my vehicle where I grab a beer, wander over to the small dock, dive in and swim a little. One beer didn't seem enough sitting there enjoying the sun.

Little log pusher boat. The timber from Hixon/Norton will be brought down to the Arm and dumped in (log slide behind my legs).

Talked with some motocyclists then packed up and headed back.

Old building and Mount Felix or some part of it's summit ridge above.

Happy with this Plan B too I headed for home but "B" was not done yet. B is for blockade earlier in the day and B now is for backup as first things were a bit slow before Britannia (it's a B) then things were dead slow from Cypress turn off all the way to Capilano Road due to an accident. Bugger.

A weekend that didn't all go according to plan but did work out well enough in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Lucky about the camera! It must have been tough to muster the motivation to drive back for a may-B.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow, Simon that is gut wrenching to realize your camera was left behind. Lucky you managed to find it after driving back up..... I know someone who left his camera on his car roof, walked away and realized he forgot it. Went back within 10 minutes and someone else had picked it off.

A real bugger to find they blockaded that Cayuse Flats Bridge like that.... nice change of plans to do Three Brothers. Like you wrote in FB, missed you by a day.

We could have been among the last to do the easy access up to the Silver Daisy-hike. It took five guys to lift the gate arm and put it back ... perhaps they found out.. and did not like it. Party spoilers they are.

Keep the good trip reports coming, enjoy every one of them.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:24 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Good on the camera recovery.

Looks like you guys had a sweet plan b day.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

The camera was a Sony RX100, cost me $700 last year. I was more concerned about losing the memory card and loads of pictures as I could just buy a new camera. Though most of my favourite shots had been downloaded the trip on this day would be lost.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 01:49 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Love a good Manning trip, way to make the most of the day! Spring and I were just up there on Sunday, wonderful views and such beautiful surroundings. Nice exploration of the Indian Arm area as well, another area I'm entirely unfamiliar with.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Great Plan B! The Three Brothers is always a fantastic "B" place

I had no idea that the Stawamus-Indian road is fully open now. So it's completely drivable all the way to the Indian Arm now, then? I assume that there's a new bridge over that infamous washout now?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Bridge at Indian River - double wide, new deck and railings.

Washout at km 10 is filled in and has two culverts. Waterbars from about km 6 down to near Hixon Creek junction. I could do half of them in 2nd gear. Couple of loose and steep sections. CRV/RAV type vehicle should have no problems.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

+1 Like.

Thanks for the heads-up! That's awesome news.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonc
Washout at km 10 is filled in and has two culverts. Waterbars from about km 6 down to near Hixon Creek junction. I could do half of them in 2nd gear. Couple of loose and steep sections. CRV/RAV type vehicle should have no problems.
Just to echo this road is in fantastic shape! Made it in a rav4 with zero issues. Formerly bouldery and muddy areas have been leveled and graded. Amazing what they can do with some machinery. Worst part imo is the crushed rock so carry a spare.

I also have a feeling the road to Norton Lake has been improved as I saw full sized trucks coming down with boats on the roof.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Silverdaisy Road (Branch SD1000, technically) is still passable by quad. You can get around the right-most concrete block, just barely.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

Thanks for the update Simon, I was considering taking my daughters up for an easy access hike. Still need Cousin and Third Brother to finish that group, catching up to Rob on new summits for the year is not going to easy now, he's had a good summer.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:40 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonc
Old building and Mount Felix or some part of it's summit ridge above.
Ha,ha, stayed for over 6 months in that building.
Slept in the room in my sleeping bag on the floor where that window is with no glass on the right side of your vehicle, then brought in some cots so was able to sleep off the floor but these cots were narrow and very uncomfortable.
Went there working trimming shake blocks and nine days in and 4 days out.
Started there at end of April when the snow melted off the high pass on the road to Squamish and stayed there until the end of October.
When we first arrived there was a bear in the parking area left side of your vehicle which ran up the hill behind. I slept in that room but my friend at the time slept in the parking area in his tent. I woke up in the morning and came out and watched well the bear had come back and was sniffing all around his tent. I got ready to chase it away if it did more than sniff but that was all it did and then left. I told my friend at the time and he moved into the same room I stayed in.
The other two guys stayed in another room in the building and we also had our kitchen in there. Behind is a pit you can drive over and change your motor oil which is what I did with my vehicle.
We cut and trimmed shake blocks from up Norton Lake way and back then there is some small creek gully's that looked like natural trail routes to summit Meslilloet Mountain going up the ridge near the lake. I thought it was a trail back then.

The right fork going to Coquitlam Lake was really rough looking back then but I never tried to drive it so don't know but it would be the best way to gain Hixon and Felix and beyond especially if you can get closer to Coquitlam Lake there's some nice peaks there.

Good report, it brought back old memory of nasty rainy days and clouded in weather and also almost getting clobbered by rookie chopper pilots just leaning how to fly out slings of shake blocks and bouncing off tree tops dislodging the blocks and it took some fancy foot work to run through that bush dodging raining shake blocks, he, he.

Brought my son there to work for awhile and that was his first job other than a paper route and he was so proud of himself that he earned enough to buy his very own computer and then did not have to kiss Dad's ass to play on Dad's computer.
He bought the top of the line computer at the time, it was a Pentium 1 and it only cost just over $2,000.00, he, he.

Drove out of Indian Arm in foggy wet and rainy weather into the sun and clear skys in Squamish and back to Vancouver and Abbotford on days off but well crossing the Memorial Bridge second narrows and looking back toward Indian Arm there was low cloud in there the whole season.
What a hell hole to work in.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Cutthroat22, I passed a green RAV on the drive out, was that you?

Dru, yeah we noticed the gap on the right side. The blocks were positioned so a 4x4 couldn't straddle 2 at a time. The gate was closed but still unlocked. Do you know if there are more plans (mining or forestry) for that area?

Wildman, thanks for the post. Hixon Creek FSR (to the watershed/Coquitlam Lake) has been in good shape for 5 years or so now.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Nope wasn't me that time. I was up a couple weekends before after noticing the FSR Government webpage was updated stating it's open to the Arm. A nice change from riding the bike there for sure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page