User Tag List

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Stoked
  • 1 Post By simonc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Sigurd Lake fat burner

A real fat burner done as a day trip. Starts on the Sigurd Trail, then up the Rose Trail to Sigurd Peak. From there I headed west, crossed under Sigurd SW1 and then down to Sigurd Lake. From the lake, the route heads over Sigurd W4 before dropping down into Sigurd headwaters. This avoids the cliffy, brushy terrain that entices most parties seeking the shortest route to Sigurd Lake and few attain as a result. Once at the top end of Sigurd I linked a bunch of lakes to reach the 100 meter climb up to Ossa Camp. I decided I wanted to go this way rather than the lower route to avoid bush and the massive rockslide. Just below the camp elevation, I followed a heather bench to join up with the climbing route to Ossa. From there it's a relatively simple matter to reach the trail tail of the Sigurd Trail. I switched on the headlamp for the last 6 km back to the vehicle.

Trail junction. Even BurnabyHiker should be able to navigate this one.

Rough section of Rose Trail to Sigurd Peak.

Welcome tarn on the ridge.

Still a long way to the peak.

Final approach to Sigurd Peak. Only 100 meters to climb.

Summit attained.

That lake looks refreshing.

Sigurd Lake in the middle distance. Note the S in the glacier. It points the way for skiers. Hikers are strongly advised to go to the left. To the right leads to horrible scree.

Sigurd SW1. From the glacier tongue to the left of the S, follow bedrock benches and easy scree at 1715 metres to the col, just visible at far left.

Lake below Sigurd SW1.

Granite ledges on Sigurd SW1, elevation 1715 m.

Sigurd Lake from the south shoulder of Sigurd SW1.

Lakes in Sigurd Creek headwaters. These are the Lakes #1, 2, 3,4 in my text below.

The rugged west shore of Sigurd Lake and an easy place to set off an avalanche on skis.

The route follows the boulder fields over the bump at the west end of the lake, which is above Pokosha Pass.

"Little Sigurd Lake" with an enticing beach when the snow is gone, which cannot be relied on every year.

At the beach.

Sigurd Lake outlet draining into Pokosha Creek. Mount Charlie Charlie across Ashlu Creek behind. Ashlu Mountian and Porterhouse Peak in the distant left background.

The sandy soil that Linus is lying on I believe is called gru, which is what granite crumbles into. Anyone who has climbed in Washington Pass is familiar with the stuff but it is more of a tan colour there.

A parting shot of Sigurd Lake and a last look back at Sigurd SW1. I'm still heading west away from the trailhead where I parked. Now around 4 PM.

Anyone know what this peak is? Focal length of the shot is 70.8 mm so it is a long way off. I'm thinking it's the north face of Sedgwick. It would be quite the ski run. Also, a fierce-looking buttress probably unclimbed.

Lake #1 that I visited at the top of Sigurd Headwaters. Now I'm turned in the right direction for the trailhead. Now around 6 PM.

Lake #2.

Lake #3.

Lake #4.

Almost 7 PM. This is the lower glacier below Pelion-Ossa. The trail is just beyond the moraine in the distance.

Thanks BCMC!
guntis and TimeToGoHiking like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Nice shot.

Quality loop and not surprised this year to see Sigurd Lake melted out.
TimeToGoHiking likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Nice Shot of the lake, like a blue jewel. Your dog is in two nice poses; very much reminds me of a dog that could be a twin several years back, belonged to a friend of mine... he liked swimming and sitting in water too.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Very nice lake tour! [^]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 AM
Summit Master

I've been meaning to do this exact loop for couple of years now but I can't hack it in a day. Think the best option is to bivi at that beach on little Sigurd Lake & make it 2 days affair

Fantastic trip, thank you - I'll be looking at these photos for quite awhile.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

I've been meaning to do this exact loop for couple of years now but I can't hack it in a day. Think the best option is to bivi at that beach on little Sigurd Lake & make it 2 days affair

Fantastic trip, thank you - I'll be looking at these photos for quite awhile.
Yes, two days would be super. It would be nice just to ramble the ridge and boulder meadows around the lake at leisure. Couple of great, low impact camping locations at the lake, either the beach or the gru flat.

Simon, I might try to dig up a picture of Sigurd Lake in September years back. It was still largely ice covered.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KARVITK

Nice Shot of the lake, like a blue jewel. Your dog is in two nice poses; very much reminds me of a dog that could be a twin several years back, belonged to a friend of mine... he liked swimming and sitting in water too.

K
Karl, only two poses? I wish I were photogenic like the dog but my tongue's not big enough.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Anyone know what this peak is? Focal length of the shot is 70.8 mm so it is a long way off. I'm thinking it's the north face of Sedgwick. It would be quite the ski run. Also, a fierce-looking buttress probably unclimbed.

This July shot of Segwick from near the Haberl Hut appears to have the same features as the shot of your mountain from a lower elevation and more from the right <s>(north)</s> north west.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

This looks a really great trail run/fast hike. I have been up this trail numerous times, but usually with a heavy pack. This would be a great loop to do fast and light! Thanks Also the perfect time of year for it...the bugs are dying, the temps are cooling!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Nice looking 'fat burner' Paul. I need a few of those.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:24 PM
Scaling New Heights

Wow. Super impressive to pull this off in one day! We decided to make it a 'nice and easy trip' and do it in 4 days with some extra luxuries. However, lots of steep sections were tough with a heavy pack - especially dropping down from Sigurd lake, where we got stuck at a few cliffs. The lake was still mostly ice, and lots of snow around. Hoping to post a trip report soon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page