Opal Cone (Elfin) Sunrise - Aug23, 2014 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Opal Cone (Elfin) Sunrise - Aug23, 2014

I've been waiting for one of these clear nights with clear mornings for a sunrise. Last night I started around 1:50am and enjoyed the starry sky with a few meterors here and there. I was moving quite quickly and made it to Elfin in 1:35. This was fine by me since I wanted to be on top of Opal about an hour before sunrise and it worked out well. Got up top just before the sky gave just a hint of color surrounded by darkness and a sharp crescent moon with Venus and Jupiter to the left. Since I had time I walked along the rim as the sky got brighter. About half an hour after sunrise, I headed back in the cool morning air Met someone on the way down who was grateful that he met me since he was going to have to walk the road from the trailhead to Squamish since he left his group at Elfin due to a sore knee.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Off the Beaten Path

With the amount of sunrise / sunset photography you do, you need to get yourself a graduated neutral density filter. A 3-stop soft-edge is a good starting point. It will change your life.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mauricio

With the amount of sunrise / sunset photography you do, you need to get yourself a graduated neutral density filter. A 3-stop soft-edge is a good starting point. It will change your life.
Good idea but I would need a good camera first Still using my iPhone - I think you can get filter apps but nothing like the real thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 07:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ubishops

Still using my iPhone - I think you can get filter apps but nothing like the real thing.
iphone??.... really fooled me. I carry a 4 lb camera on backpacks and a 3 lb tripod...no wonder I'm tired.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 11:13 PM
Summit Master

Quote:

Quote:

Good idea but I would need a good camera first Still using my iPhone - I think you can get filter apps but nothing like the real thing.
funny cam talk. had a few fooled eh? including me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:

Quote:

In that case, and if you are not already doing it, make sure you enable HDR mode when you have deep shadows across the screen. It does make a difference.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Summit Master

actually that does make a big diff, good advice.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Funny we didn't see you...we started from the parking lot at 6:30AM and saw no one until we reached the lakes...unless you got down to the parking lot well before we arrived or
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BurnabyRich

Funny we didn't see you...we started from the parking lot at 6:30AM and saw no one until we reached the lakes...unless you got down to the parking lot well before we arrived or
Was just looking at the timestamps from my photos - I was back to Elfin lakes from Opal Cone at around 8:30am. If you started from the parking lot at 6:30am I'm guessing you would have been at the lakes sround that time or maybe or around 9? I may have been off the main trail aroumd that time to snap some photos Like a snow leopard... hard to catch a glimpse of me lol Did you have a good trip?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:34 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Dang, must have passed by all of you too, without realizing. Sure was crowded at the campsite.

Also carrying just a Smartphone these days for daytrips, lot more convenient for acceptable shots.

Like your photos - it's the craftsman and not the tool
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BurnabyRich

Was just looking at the timestamps from my photos - I was back to Elfin lakes from Opal Cone at around 8:30am. If you started from the parking lot at 6:30am I'm guessing you would have been at the lakes sround that time or maybe or around 9? I may have been off the main trail aroumd that time to snap some photos Like a snow leopard... hard to catch a glimpse of me lol Did you have a good trip?
Yeah, okay, that makes sense. We were at the lakes at roughly 8:30 and we popped off the main trail to check out the campsite. You may have passed us by at that time.

Yes, our trip was great. Made it to Mamquam and back and fit in a swim at both lakes along the way.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Beautiful epic trip, nice.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page