Ossa Mountain - August 16 2014 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Ossa Mountain - August 16 2014

Ossa is a varied hike within 1.5 hours from Vancouver.
There is everything from glaciers, boulder fields, beautiful forest, water fall, lots of creeks to drink from, lakes, etc.

Stoked knew what he was doing when he picked that area to build trails which are by the way very well maintained.

Yesterday being my first visit past the Crooked falls, I don't know how long that log bridge over the Sigurd creek has been there for, but it looks brand new. It even comes with ropes to hang on to as we walk across. Thanks Stoked! I wish I had taken a picture of that log bridge. It's beautiful.

As you will see from the pictures, the visibility was poor so much so that at times I could not see Mark walking ahead of me. The fog was moving in and out.

Mark had to stay with Frank below the summit due to some steep sections that were nearly impossible for any dog.

I kept going to the very end of the ridge, just below the summit. On my own, I did not want to take the risk of getting into trouble. If Mark had been leading those last meters, I would have gone no problem. He has a tonne of experience that I lack.

It took seven hours to get just below the summit and 6 hours pretty much non-stop (slowish) walking back to the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Clouds add ambiance but too many kind of suck sometimes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 02:09 AM
Summit Master

kind of sucks to get that close and not summit, but Mark must have known Frank would not be able to get up final bit. Still a good trip; Sigurd creek area is fantastic. Think there is NSH trip up Sigurd next Saturday; well worth, despite insane total elevation (close to 2000) and majority of time spent under treeline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

kind of sucks to get that close and not summit, but Mark must have known Frank would not be able to get up final bit. Still a good trip; Sigurd creek area is fantastic. Think there is NSH trip up Sigurd next Saturday; well worth, despite insane total elevation (close to 2000) and majority of time spent under treeline
As far as I am concerned, I did not mind not sitting on the exact summit since it was only a few minutes away and there were too many clouds to even have a view.

FYI Mark posted Ossa for Monday September 1st on the North Shore Hikers schedule.
By the way, would anyone know the EXACT elevation gain and the EXACT amount of Kms for that hike? I get different info depending where I look.

Thanks Simon for your reply. I checked out your pictures from 2010... that gives me a better idea of where I have been.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Climbing, hiking, SCUBA, kayaking

Good to hear that Frank is still going strong!
I did Ossa as a fun 2-day trip. One-day is heroic!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

That looks like a beautiful mystic landscape, a neat place to explore.

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Yes you are right , I knew Frank was going have hard time to get to summit, but had to try, Has has been there 2 times in the past , Was a great day

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 01:38 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

Ossa looks amazing On the "To Do" list in September. Thanks for providing times and reference pics.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page