Blackcomb Mountain and Spearhead - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

Nice report, Maria! Excellent photos there
Ahh, so it's called Circle Lake then, Sharon? I called it Decker Lake last year when I was there. Could not find a name on my map though
Just tried to find a map with a name on it and can't either! We've always called the lake below spearhead/east col before you drop towards Decker Glacier Circle Lake when we ski there. Lee referred to the area as Circle Glacier as well.

As soon as Mitch gets off his new alpine hiking trail he'll be able to confirm!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

I don't have it labeled on map but if someone can confirm that would be great! I do know that the Glacier off of Decker is Decker Glacier. Perhaps Circle Lake and Circle Glacier are immediately to the left of Decker?
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Quote:
quote:Just tried to find a map with a name on it and can't either! We've always called the lake below spearhead/east col before you drop towards Decker Glacier Circle Lake when we ski there. Lee referred to the area as Circle Glacier as well.

As soon as Mitch gets off his new alpine hiking trail he'll be able to confirm!
The lake in Masiar's report is Circle Lake, which was created when Circle Glacier fully melted about 10 years ago. By that logic, where Decker Glacier terminus is now lake, it should be called Decker Lake. We've started calling the small meltwater pond at the end of the Blackcomb Overlord Trail Decker Pond to differentiate.

When Circle Lake first melted out, it was quite greenish and very opaque. Seems to be getting bluer every year, likely because the particulates are settling out.

Phalanx from Spearhead is not a straight-forward scramble, as there was a major mass-wasting event on the south side of Phalanx that makes for some very loose but large flakes just waiting to dislodge.

Also, Dragonback Ridge, from the top of 7th Heaven to Blackcomb Peak should not be a scree scramble. It is possible to go the entire way along the top of the ridge if one has reasonable scrambling abilities. Going for the talus not only takes longer but creates a great deal more possibility for rolling rock and stumbles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

Superb Thank you for taking the time to clear that up Circle Lake it is!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page