S2S = Sea to Sky Skyline Ridge (Squamish Gondola) - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 10:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
I took a drone video last summer that may help getting an idea of the terrain.
https://vimeo.com/515547851

Looks like a nice forested ramp heading up from bottom left, if you can get to it.
Super helpful view. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
I took a drone video last summer that may help getting an idea of the terrain.
https://vimeo.com/515547851

Looks like a nice forested ramp heading up from bottom left, if you can get to it.

That's great view. Maybe looping from south would work best?
I recall having lunch at same spot where you were with Luna & looking down and thinking "no way" ;=)
post #33 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 11:58 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Amazing video from the drone! Thanks everyone for sharing helpful info on Skyline & Goat ridge traverse, I did see some faint footbed on the left of the tarn(likely outside of my photo) leading up the bump near by.

I took Skyline to the bottom of CallPilot summit block & returned, not knowing the horseshoe loop to exist at the time, which sounds super fun.

I wonder if it's still possible to drive up the FSR & do Skyline Ridge these days....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	283816  

Name:	IMG_1129.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	283818  

sidetrip likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni Jin View Post
I took Skyline to the bottom of CallPilot summit block & returned, not knowing the horseshoe loop to exist at the time, which sounds super fun.

I wonder if it's still possible to drive up the FSR & do Skyline Ridge these days....
It's called Copilot, not CallPilot

I'd expect road to be barricaded near upper Gondola terminal with no trespassing signs, etc. Security is beefed up & crossing over is probably not good idea.

It might be possible to access Skyline via Petgill Lake. Ryan and Marek did this traverse before gondola was built

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...2-06-30-a.html

So, given one can hack Skyline to Goat Summit climb, it could even be nice 2 day loop with overnight by these tarns at upper Skyline Ridge

Other option is via Mountain Lake from south. This is normally used as Ledge approach, but some get up Sky Pilot that way too. Multi-day trip hard to justify just for Skyline Ridge though.
Ni Jin likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 02-23-2021 at 03:38 PM.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 09:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni Jin View Post
The gate is at 49.68051,-123.12036, 770m elev? about 1.4km walk to the upper gondola station. We have parked here a couple of times, there is room for a few cars. I would expect the current condition of the 4x4 road to be quite icy now. I haven't heard of any problems heading up on the road this way while the gondola has been closed.

Speaking of gondola, I heard they have installed the new cable and have 4 cars on the line that weren't destroyed. So hopefully it will be open by summer. I think we'll buy passes this year, it's been a while since I've hiked up there and there is such great terrain.
Ni Jin likes this.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Speaking of gondola, I heard they have installed the new cable and have 4 cars on the line that weren't destroyed. So hopefully it will be open by summer. I think we'll buy passes this year, it's been a while since I've hiked up there and there is such great terrain.

I had pass & it was great. On weekend last download was 9 pm - plenty of time for longer hikes. Only downside, can't remember if they will let you take Luna.

I hope gondola reopens, with properly done security. That is simply fantastic area & I really don't think gondola development has destroyed it

Last edited by zeljkok; 02-23-2021 at 11:38 PM.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2021, 01:38 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
The gate is at 49.68051,-123.12036, 770m elev? about 1.4km walk to the upper gondola station
That's the way to do it- Gondola is overrated, who needs it?
post #38 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2021, 09:46 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Only downside, can't remember if they will let you take Luna.
No gondola rides up for dogs, which makes it more difficult to hit higher up destinations like Skyline ridge. That's one of the main reasons I didn't buy passes for the last few years. If we're gonna hike from sea level there are other destinations. Downloading with Luna was great though
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GOPR9180.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	283942  

zeljkok likes this.

Last edited by martin; 02-24-2021 at 09:50 PM.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2021, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Love that photo! Poor Luna, looking down & trying to figure out "Where the heck am I"

Just peeked at Gondola site Skyline Ridge backcountry trail description. That's pretty cool pic actually showing the ramp above Skyline Tarns that leads to base of Goat Summit cliffsClick image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 1.07.44 PM.png
Views:	24
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	283994

This ramp looks really nice, grassy and wide. I am kicking myself now I didn't go to take a look, it's 15-20 min hike above the tarns.

btw, this is ecarter1 on pic. Very cool

Last edited by zeljkok; 02-25-2021 at 04:51 PM.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2021, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
The gate is at 49.68051,-123.12036, 770m elev? about 1.4km walk to the upper gondola station. We have parked here a couple of times, there is room for a few cars. I would expect the current condition of the 4x4 road to be quite icy now. I haven't heard of any problems heading up on the road this way while the gondola has been closed.

Excellent news, Martin.

Hope they have much better security and monitoring in the future, to determine who were the vandals if they were to try again.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page