S2S = Sea to Sky Skyline Ridge (Squamish Gondola) - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by craigS

I was talking to ecarter about this area and my daughter went up there today. All reports were good. So I better go check it out.

Would be very interesting to see your opinion. For more adventurous Skyline Ridge now might become preferred Copilot approach. Here are 2 shots from my turnaround point directly below the west ridge

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The scramble up Co-Pilot from Skyline R is very doable but certainly a scramble. We descended it when we ran the full horseshoe last week. It is steep loose rock but there is the beginnings of a beaten path. The scramble up to Goat is more full on. Gaining the ridge above Skyline is easy with a few bumps and notches to pass over. Once on the main ridge up towards Goat summit, there are steep loose gullies with the final part on good rock but with stiff scrambling over reasonable exposure. It felt similar to Sky Pilot but shorter of course. Will post a TR of the horseshoe eventually.

I'm excited for the skiing up there. Sounds like they are committed to having the Shannon Crk. Road and Sky Pilot Road cleared of alder to the full road width before the snow flies. That will make skiing much easier. Skiing off Skyline Ridge will be nice once runs are established and the area around Sky Pilot will be rad
The only concern for me is the winter operating hours...
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 06:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The composition in this picture rocks. [8D]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

Quote:
quote:Grassy ramp and some minor outcrops I was certain I could find my way around. Wouldn't take more than 20-30mins from the lake
Wonder if you could do a Murrin > Petgill Lake > Goat Ridge > Skyline trail > Gondola descent connector? Anyone try this yet?
post #20 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:

Wonder if you could do a Murrin > Petgill Lake > Goat Ridge > Skyline trail > Gondola descent connector? Anyone try this yet?
I think ecarter1 did Britania -> Goat Ridge -> Skyline -> Co-pilot to Sky Pilot -> Gondola loop, which is even longer version. But descent from Goat to Skyline is not for the faint of heart and more than just scrambling. I intend to take a close look from below & will post some visuals soon.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

An interesting update about Skyline Ridge trail on Gondola website:

Quote:
quote:
Future plans involve continuing Skyline Ridge Trail through to the Skypilot Valley Trail and will form an incredible day's hiking through old growth forest, spectacular alpine meadows and lakes to the lower alpine slopes of Skypilot Mountain. There it will cross below the alpine massif of Skypilot and Ledge Mountains and link back to the Skypilot Valley Trail.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

March 7. 2015 update

Returned to Skyline in winter conditions. Winter is certainly exaggeration this season -- logging road (to end of 'marked' trail) is completely snow free. Patches start along the clearcut, but diminish again as trail heads into forest. Continuous cover from subalpine at ~1300 elevation. Wonderful snow though -- compact so you don't sink at all, but not hard so traction was excellent. I put spikes but it was not really required. Went to base of Co-pilot (just as in summer trip). Couple of tracks about half an hour past logging road, virgin snow afterwards -- seems nobody ventured into alpine for quite some time. Couple of pics:

Heading up gently angled snow slope in upper ridge with wonderful views across Shannon basin to Habrich ridge

Views back towards Howe sound ant Tantalus. Large part of Skyline Ridge in foreground

Shannon basin with 2 main features; Habrich and Sky Pilot group

Brilliant Copilot

I will say again: Gondola showcases Al's Habrich ridge as their 'flagship' trail, but for my money Skyline is way better. Of course only if you continue past end of logging road and climb into alpine.

So long Stawamus country - you are amazing. I'll miss you.

View Map
Download GPS Tracks
Autumn Sky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	copilot_sized.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	25649  

Name:	habrichshadow_sized.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	25657  

Name:	pilothabrich_sized.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	25665  

Name:	skylinetantalus_sized.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	25673  

martin and Ryl like this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 03-08-2015 at 10:15 PM.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 02:14 PM
Hittin' the Trails

This seems to have been closed infinitely based on related websites... assuming PetGill to Goat Ridge is still open, would you recommend it in winter condition?
post #24 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 03:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Just saw Steven Song's recent TR on Goat Ridge so please disgard my last post.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2021, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Steven Song is category on its own & not guideline for 99% of the people. russellcoffin, not a slouch by any stretch of imagination, recently tried Goat Ridge via Petgill Lake & couldn't make it https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...th-2019-a.html I suspect he was lured by Song social media post. Goat Ridge is very long and hard day even in summer conditions. I've done it as day trip in August but if I'd go again, I'd carry overnight gear & camp by these lakes in subalpine. Upper plateau is so beautiful it deserves full day of exploration.

Shannon Basin will re-open at some point. Optimal trip in the area is Skyline Ridge -- Habrich Ridge loop, think ecarter has done it
post #26 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2021, 03:53 PM
Scaling New Heights

Getting to Copilot via Petgill lake route is a long day. Tried it in the summer once and it was 5 hours to the Goat summit I think. Camping on Goat would be nice if you dont mind slogging your gear up for that amount of time!

Last edited by Jaaklucas; 02-20-2021 at 03:55 PM.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2021, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

5 hrs to Goat summit is very fast. Can't remember what I took, but it was 6 or 7; I did slow a lot after topping up in subalpine though

I wanted, and still might at some point, camp by these tarns at top of Skyline Ridge. This is aerial view from Goat Summit:

Imagine waking up down there Not that bad with big pack either, when gondola is running again
post #28 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 02:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

I wanted, and still might at some point, camp by these tarns at top of Skyline Ridge. This is aerial view from Goat Summit:
I bet this was one of the gorgeous tarns you were looking at from Goat Summit... it was on Skyline Ridge & I was wondering if it'd be possible to go up Goat or link with Goat Ridge right from there....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo0.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	692.9 KB
ID:	283806  

post #29 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

From tarn getting up to ramp that leads to cliffs is easy, but then it gets spicy. ecarter1 has posted the report about full Shannon basin traverse:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...-traverse.html

From that report, here is quote for Goat ascent part from Skyline Ridge:

Quote:
We continued towards Goat summit by ascending the main obvious gully. It was steep gravel with much kicking steps into dirt and pulling on bushes. We were very worried about kicking rocks on each other and a tumble here would be a long was down an unpleasant slope. We came to a treed ledge leading right onto the ridge crest with better rock and followed that to the summit with some 4th class scrambling and much exposure.

These are pics lifted from ecarter1 flickr, linked from that report, that show very well terrain one has to deal with:

Name:	ec1.png
Views:	4
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	283808

Name:	ec2.png
Views:	3
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	283810

Name:	ec3.png
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	283812

Name:	ec4.png
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	283814
post #30 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 08:48 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I took a drone video last summer that may help getting an idea of the terrain.
https://vimeo.com/515547851

Looks like a nice forested ramp heading up from bottom left, if you can get to it.

Last edited by martin; 02-22-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page