North Okanagan Rail-Trail July 8 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default North Okanagan Rail-Trail July 8

Over the past month the CPR has been busy removing tracks and ties from its Okanagan Subdivision between Armstrong and Enderby. They graded the railbed and removed the years of weeds that had grown, which made for a perfect opportunity to cycle what hopefully will become a rail-trail.

On a hot Shuswap summer morning, Ian and I cycled the 10 km of rail bed from Enderby to where it crosses Hwy 97A north of Armstrong. The rail bed is fairly smooth, but has a few patches of loose ballast that our fat tires sank into easily. Since the last 2 km into Armstrong are right along the highway, which I've driven so many times, we returned to Enderby via Stepney Road and Back Enderby Road through North Okanagan farmland. It was a pleasant ride, but honestly the backroads are more scenic than the rail line.

Some photos:

End of Track

Recycling ties at Enderby

Looking back to Enderby Cliffs

Heading south toward Armstrong

There is one trestle along the route, crossing Fortune Creek

Eagle nest above the wetlands near the trestle.

After our cycle I went to Mara Lake to cool off in the 36 degree heat. Dropping my kayak in the water I paddled over to Rosemond Lake, which is separated from Mara by this railway trestle. If the CPR line ever becomes a rail-trail, the segment along Mara Lake to Sicamous would be the biggest highlight--it is fabulous.

With no powerboats, Rosemond Lake is nice and quiet...and bathtub warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

That is a very sweet ride, nice shots. The gravel looks soft and a little tough to cycle on.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page