Garibaldi Lake summer 2013 Pic heavy - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: hiking
Default Garibaldi Lake summer 2013 Pic heavy

I'm really late posting this up 8) but better late than never I guess. My brother and I and our friend Jason decided to hike a 40lb raft up to Garibaldi lake. This was a lot harder than we thought it would be to say the least, but now that it's done it was totally worth it. Started on the trail head around 7am Saturday Aug 15th and reached Garibaldi lake around noon. We took a 30 min break while we pumped up the boat and started out journey across. With the wind pushing us to the side it took around 2 hours to row to the hut. Had a blast fishing and exploring the glacier which was accessed rowing up the other 2 lakes toward the glacier. Found a bottle of (whisky) I hope, with a snake eating a scorpion in the hut. Didn't feel like finding out if it was actually Whisky. I think in 2016 I will leave the raft behind and hike around Garibladi lake. Looks like there is a lot more to explore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Awesome! I have always wanted to take a canoe/kayak/raft up there
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Good job hauling the raft up there.
That, and that looks like a cobra in that bottle (?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:17 AM
Gor
Hittin' the Trails

The pictures from the middle of the lake are great. Thats a perspective that we almost never get to see of the area, and being out there , silent in the middle of it with 258meters of gorgeous green water beneath you does inspire a sense of awe.

To add a little more to the story. When we first headed up the trail, we were taking turns hauling the boat up on a little dolly cart. The problem was because of the hard tires , every single bump / root / rock in the trail would stop the cart almost dead in its tracks. I think we got about 20mins up the trail and said "screw this".(those words werent the ones we used)

We came up with the idea to find a nice straight piece of wood around 7ft feet long and lash the boat to the center of it while we each grabbed an end and hauled the boat up King Xerxes style! This worked exponentially better, and got us in some pretty funny conversations with the 100 or so people who passed us on the way up.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Makes me want to strap my kayak to its wheels and drag it up!

Anyone game?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gor

To add a little more to the story. When we first headed up the trail, we were taking turns hauling the boat up on a little dolly cart. The problem was because of the hard tires , every single bump / root / rock in the trail would stop the cart almost dead in its tracks. I think we got about 20mins up the trail and said "screw this".(those words werent the ones we used)

We came up with the idea to find a nice straight piece of wood around 7ft feet long and lash the boat to the center of it while we each grabbed an end and hauled the boat up King Xerxes style!
Thanks for the insight! Several buddies and I are planning on lugging a 20L keg into the mountains (spot still undecided), and we had toyed with the idea of a dolly - good to know it was unsuccessful.

Our other idea was to build a frame like you mentioned, and hang the keg in the middle. Sounds like thats the better option then! Thanks for the TR. Sounds like a blast.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

how was the fishing?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gdichasaz

Anyone game?
I would for sure be game. The rubble creek trail would be a joy after hauling a canoe into Widgeon.

Steve, might look at going for late spring snow and running it in on skis. Also, let me know.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Location: Ask me next week, British Columbia, sometimes., Canada.
Interest: Hiking, soccer, hockey, running, photography, dogs, camping, environmental protection.

Also, that bottle is from Laos - whiskeylaos, the locals call it, pronunciation - 'wikilao'

It burns a bit going down.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jd22

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gdichasaz

Anyone game?
I would for sure be game. The rubble creek trail would be a joy after hauling a canoe into Widgeon.

Steve, might look at going for late spring snow and running it in on skis. Also, let me know.
PM me some dates that could work for hauling up some boats...
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:34 PM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Hauling it back down would suck. Don't think it should be left up there, it's a big lake. Rangers would likely remove it.

Plus, hauling it up and down makes it a pretty impressive effort - real cool.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page