Marble Range - June 7-8 2014 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Marble Range - June 7-8 2014

shigum and I headed up to Clinton area Friday night after work and car camped at Big Bar Lake Prov. Park. Nice spot along the lake - have to come back and do some fishing/car camping again some time.

In the am we booted along Jesmond Rd. to the Foundation Creek trailhead. There are essentially 2 trailheads depending on your vehicle. High clearance 4x4 can make it over the creek but it really doesn't save you much in the way of hiking. Initial trailhead has what appears to be an old horse corral area. Pass by a clearing where some have camped and head up what used to be a FSR. The road quickly changes into a trail proper and slowly begins ascending. The trail up is in great shape - easily followed and little to no deadfall despite the large burn out area from a fire some years back. Some wet spots with the creek overflowing and taking over the trail but nothing serious.

We grabbed water at the Junction camp and probably picked up a number of mosquito bites. Bug spray came out here. I'd recommend grabbing some water here - especially later in the season once melting snow up top is no longer a possibility. On the side of the range we went on (towards Mount Kerr) the are no streams whatsoever. We melted a bunch of snow both that night for dinner and in the am for coffee/breakfast.

After ascending most of the elevation and coming out of the valley you top out (for now) upon marble white rock ridges. Once getting to the top of the trail there was still a bunch of snow lingering and we abandoned the trail (if it continued from here we couldn't see it) and made for the upper ridge to our right. Crossing the ridge we were finally rewarded with rolling, open alpine. Little ways later we found a flat plateau where a fire ring was and decided this would be camp. Stunning 360 degree view of the ranges all around. After setting up camp we did the awesome ridge traverse over to Mt. Kerr area. There are 2 peaks here - one is the real Mt. Kerr and the other a false summit. We made it to the top of one of the two where a few shacks and towers of some purpose stood. After a snack, we headed back to camp for dinner, a small fire, a beer, and eventually bed.

A great area, absolutely stunning and remote - no facilities here (toilet, food cache/pole) if this turns you off. We found the largest tree we could some ways from camp and hung our food bags. Didn't see any sign of Mr. or Mrs. bear - but I'm sure they were around...

Lot of area to explore here, including Mt. Bowman side. I'll certainly be back when I have a couple days I can put in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kirk56...7645195026665/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Summit Master

thanks for the update
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Nice one. Marble range is quite a unique area. I like the Lime Ridge area but it takes a bit of searching to find the start of the trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Anyone know which peak is the true Kerr summit? Google Earth seems to show that the spot with the microwave tower on top is the true summit. Accurate?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

That's the higher peak, but the one to the east is the one named on the map. Climb both and then you have it in the bag.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page