Sea to Summit trail (Squamish gondola) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things
Default Sea to Summit trail (Squamish gondola)

May 12, 2014

I'm sure there will many reports in the future, but there has only been one Sea to Sky Gondola trip report to date, so here's #2:

Monday afternoon was gorgeous, so we zipped up the gondola after work and walked down from top to base via the Sea to Summit trail. It follows an old logging road, formerly choked with slide alder, now cut clear. It zigzags down and eventually connects up with the Shannon Falls trail, bringing us back to familiar territory. Some good work has been done reactivating old access routes. And now, what you've been waiting for,

Bridge to Spirit Trail

Panorama Trail

Sea to Summit Trail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 AM
High on the Mountain Top

exactly the the kind of report I was looking for, many thanks. We're planning on a dash up there pretty soon. Great views from up there
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)

Interesting - that's a longer trail than I expected. So is it really just an extension of the Upper Shannon Falls trail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

Can you walk it up? Or is it just for paying customers?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:aspersa Posted - 05/14/2014 : 12:37 PM
Interesting - that's a longer trail than I expected. So is it really just an extension of the Upper Shannon Falls trail?
Yes, it does extend from the Upper Shannon Falls trail. The trail crew say it is 6km, but their measurements were made during construction. I measured just over 8km, so I inquired about the discrepancy. Maybe my distance was longer due to slow pace, making the GPS track points bounce around more? But even smoothing out the points shouldn't be that big a discrepancy, right?

I was told they would review the measurements and update the published distance if necessary.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:runningclouds
Posted - 05/14/2014 : 1:10 PM
There are no restrictions on using the trails. But there is a fee for downloading (I don't remember what it was, but I imagine it's about $10).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: skiing

That's good to know! Thanks!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Err, need you ask? Hiking :-)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by guntis

Yes, it does extend from the Upper Shannon Falls trail. The trail crew say it is 6km, but their measurements were made during construction. I measured just over 8km, so I inquired about the discrepancy. Maybe my distance was longer due to slow pace, making the GPS track points bounce around more? But even smoothing out the points shouldn't be that big a discrepancy, right?

I was told they would review the measurements and update the published distance if necessary.
Yeah, i just saw the 6-km number on their website. I'm no GPS expert but I can't see smoothing making a 2-km difference. I do sometimes see spurious points on mine at the end of the track that can add random distances which make the odometer reading suspect, but the track measurement itself (in Google Earth or BaseCamp) seems to be fine. It'll only take another couple of CTers to get a good measure of the hike anyway - I'm planning it myself sometime soon
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
quote:Yes, it does extend from the Upper Shannon Falls trail. The trail crew say it is 6km, but their measurements were made during construction. I measured just over 8km, so I inquired about the discrepancy. Maybe my distance was longer due to slow pace, making the GPS track points bounce around more? But even smoothing out the points shouldn't be that big a discrepancy, right?

It looks like you took a more roundabout route at the top, that probably accounts for the 2km discrepancy. I didn't notice any of those fancy trail marker signs on the upper part of the trail, did you?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by guntis

Quote:
quote:runningclouds
Posted - 05/14/2014 : 1:10 PM
There are no restrictions on using the trails. But there is a fee for downloading (I don't remember what it was, but I imagine it's about $10).
I asked them in an email and they replied saying it would be $10 to download. You can also buy a download-only season pass, good till Oct 15th, for $40
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Banner Photographer

Interest: hikingmountain bikingphotographyanything outdoors

Guntis - I think your GPS data is accurate for the distance on the Sea to Summit trail. I have done this trail twice now and just over 8km is about right to the top gondola station. I also have done this trail cutting straight up from where the Sea to Summit crosses under the gondola and then came back down on the Sea to Summit to make a loop of around 13 km.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks martin, my junction waypoint corresponds with your comparitive map, where you went up the Wrinkle Rock connector. I might try it this weekend. Can't wait to try the one under the gondola too (although I think that's just an access route for the maintenance guys).
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Good fun. Nothing like the stairs on the Chief to finish your day
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

What was the crowd like?
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I ran this trail up and down on Monday, it measured around 6km up to the Summit Plaza with Strava on my phone. This is definitely a great trail and about 3/4 of it is runnable for anyone interested.

They have done alot of work where the trail breaks away after Shannon Falls. There are 2 ways to get to the summit plaza when you hit the T-junction at the top. The wrinkle rock trail to the left or to the right which takes you to the Sky Pilot access road.

I am slightly disappointed that the gondola is only open until 9pm on Fri, Sat and holidays. This would make for a great after work burn up and then take the gondola down...oh well!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page