Mulligan Horns - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Mulligan Horns

Snowman says: "End of the road. Can't go any further"

Blue skies got me heading along Sea-to-Sky towards Squamish. Actually considered Alpen, but late start (out of Van around noon) made me pick shorter and more familiar objective. I'd not post a report considering there is one just this weekend, but that one is false. Author claims he skied Anif and then down Mulligan, but this is simply not true. All tracks going towards Anif stop at "guntis horns" (pics above); there is set of ski tracks coming down Mulligan, but they end 50-60 vertical above the road where skiers simply turned back. Having made it to Mulligan I can tell nobody was there for quite some time.

As for the conditions: Logging road is plowed till about 650 elevation, then snow starts. Put snowshoes around 750 elevation as I started sinking too much. Easy going then with set of ski and snowshoe tracks (and paw prints - guntis dog?) All was good till the "horns" (pics above) - from there efforts tripled. As I said ski tracks ended shortly so I was on my own. Heavy wet snow - snowshoes sinking and each time I made the step half a kilo of wet snow would follow on each leg. That tired me a lot - took me 2 hrs till Mulligan (bare 300 elevation). Tons of bombs from melting snow, but managed to dodge all of them. Anyone who goes here in near future will have fairly good trail broken, as I followed my own tracks on the way down most of the way - with exception of final bit when I took more direct path down to the logging road. Views around are simply stunning -- gotta love Squamish and Sea-to-Sky. Couple of pics:

1) Sky Pilot to Habrich 2)Mighty Tantalus 3) East to Meslilloet 4) Diamond Head

Took about 7hrs return incl 40 min breaks. About 19km and 1200 vertical according to GPS. This is Squamish classic, much preferred to Elfin zoo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 07:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

As the hotel keeper says in the Pink Panther movie "That is not my dog."

I actually didn't get that far, so that is not my snowman either! Nice pics on a gorgeous day
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by guntis

I actually didn't get that far, so that is not my snowman either! Nice pics on a gorgeous day
Reason I thought it could have been your snowman is little snow slide on the side- thought you were playing with your daughter.

This spot is where all tracks stopped - virgin snow beyond. Ski tracks went - presumably from these guys that claimed "Mulligan/Anif" - for 10mins up towards Mulligan, then turned around and skied back; nobody went further in a long time either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Hittin' the Trails

We went up Mulligan and Anif March 23. Two others also skied up Anif and a snowshoer with his two dogs also. We skied down from Anif to the Anif-Mulligan col,went up through the forest to Mulligan and skied down the north side of Mulligan to the road.The skiing on both mtns was great
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Haslital

We went up Mulligan and Anif March 23.
That would perhaps make more sense, because nobody certainly passed this last weekend when your tr was posted. Same in respect to 'great skiing' - very wet and heavy snow yesterday.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Sky Pilot always looks so good from there!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by burnabyhiker

Sky Pilot always looks so good from there!
Yes! Way better from Anif than Mulligan though but did not have enough gas in the tank left to break trail another hour in such horribly wet and heavy snow. I've never been to Baldwin - highline ridge traverse from Anif to Baldwin must be incredibly scenic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page