Elfin Lakes winter overnighter - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.
Default Elfin Lakes winter overnighter

On March 1st Mark (highfalls), Kelly, Cynthia (a friend from France) and myself met in Chwk and headed out for the Elfin Lakes TH. We arrived at the lower parking lot, put on chains and proceeded to the upper parking lot. Weather was ok and both Mark and Cynthia decided not to wear snowshoes. I wore mine because I didn't want to carry them and Kelly put on his ski's.

We started our hike at around 9:45/10:00. Cynthia and I were both excited as this was going to be the first winter backpack and we had been talking about it for days!

After a couple of hrs (if I remember correctly) we arrived at the Red Heather shelter and it was a gong show inside so we stayed outside to enjoy our first snack.

After our bite to eat we continued on and were happy to see some blue sky around tho not much and then the weather changed quickly!

For those who don't know this hike has a summer and winter trail so we followed the orange posts that marked the winter trail.

Mt. Garibaldi:

At 7-8 km's in I was starting to feel wiped. Up at 5:30, long drive and carrying the gear I wondered what it would be like to finally arrive at the shelter. 45 minutes or so later I could see the area I knew from summer that leads down to the lakes. Almost there!

Kelly skiing over the lakes:

Ranger Station in sight:

Elfin Lakes shelter:

We went inside and it was busy but fortunately we were able to find a seat by the window. Enjoyed a hot drink.

The snow was starting to come down heavy and we knew we had one thing left to do... set up our tents!

After this we went back to the shelter, completely relaxed and it was wonderful. We had dinner, met new friends, played Jenga and drank red wine and butterscotch schnapps.

At about 8:00 Mark said goodnight. I was fighting to stay awake and at 9:30 Kelly retired (if I remember correctly). Finally at 10:00 I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I went out to my tent excited that this was going to be my first winter overnighter. At 11:00 Cynthia joined me. (she will have to add her selfie).

Morning came and I couldn't believe how good I had slept. Cynthia not so great as she claims she had snow blowing in her face lol. ? Went back to the shelter where 30 ppl had spent the night. Had breakfast, exchanged addy's with a few of our new friends and we were off... into a blizzard and near whiteout conditions!

Arrived back at the vehicle and had to brush off the snow.

Went to the Essence of India in Squamish for an Indian feast!

Driving back to the Wack was slow and interesting as we passed numerous cars and trucks in ditches from Squamish to the Sumas Flats due to the insane weather change overnight.

Must say this winter camping business was far more fun that I could have imagined and I would do it again! Thanks Kelly for the invite, Mark for driving and Cynthia for the laughs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Off the Beaten Path

That was a fun weekend!
I really enjoyed the ski out...
Thanks for posting the TR Janice.
Will have to go back in the summer...

Cheers
Kelly
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Looks like the group had alot of fun....i have never been up there.I will have to check it out this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Summit Master

Good for you Janice. Great report for your first winter camp.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I like to mostly hike and snowshoe. Mountain biking, kayaking and adventure racing are some other things I spend my time doing.

Thanks for TR Janice, it was a fun snowy outing.

Mark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page