Crippen Park (Bowen) knee testing mission - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Crippen Park (Bowen) knee testing mission

I work once a week on Bowen Island, and if I have time I try to get in a power walk around Killarney Lake during the day. Last week it was an exhausting, painful effort to get around the lake as I'd fallen and yanked my knee skiing one week earlier; this was a setback that did not fit in well with my fitness plan. At first I thought I'd done some real damage to it, but over time it began to feel like just a muscle strain. I visited a chiropractor that I know, who practices Active Release Techniques, and I kid you not, ONE treatment on my left popliteus muscle, as well as quads, and my two weeks of hobbling pain was cured. I had extra time today and decided to test it out on a good leg-stretching walk that included not only Killarney Lake but also the surrounding trails of Crippen Park, all within walking distance from work.

All pictures taken with my phone as it rarely occurs to me to bring my camera to work.

Choppy waters from the ferry on the way over. So windy that when I stepped out onto the ferry deck I was almost knocked over. I could not set down my coffee cup (precious cargo) as the wind would knock it over too. There are some days that I appreciate this kind of commute:

Boats in the bay, from a viewpoint in the little memorial garden:

Waterway meandering through the meadow walk, and a sunlit forest trail:

If you're unfamiliar with the island, the trail around the lake is wide and gently rolling, perfect if you're just out for something gentle, plus a large network of flat paths to and from and around the lake to make it into a longer walk. If you wanted to make a day of it there are several restaurants and cafes near the ferry terminal, but I had pledged a "spend nothing" day, and suffered through the most boring sandwiches I had ever put together, brought from home.

Boardwalk and marshy bit:

Couple of views of the lake.

Trees in winter:

Then back to work. My knee did not give me any trouble at all, so I am ready to work back up to something a little more strenuous now.

I am so glad I was able to get out and enjoy the sunshine, although BRRR!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Nice pics of Bowen. They look like springtime photos!

I stress over lower limb injuries. The thought of being held back from hiking and exploring is scary. Not like a wrist injury where you can just put hands in pockets. Where is your chiro located?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:14 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I love my AR Therapist. Most times cured in one visit. Not like the other chiropracters who just crack you and tell you they need to see you three times a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Fantastic photos of Bowen! I used to spend summers on Bowen at a summer camp that is quite close to Kilarney and it was great seeing some of the photos and recognizing the lake! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dabest03

I love my AR Therapist. Most times cured in one visit. Not like the other chiropracters who just crack you and tell you they need to see you three times a week.
Lol, well I am a chiropractor, and I am certified in ART which I use a lot. I often work on my own wrists with my other hand, because they do get beaten up a bit at work, but I can't work on my own popliteus (I wouldn't have the leverage needed). So I went to someone I knew in North Van that I met at an ART seminar. Booked another appointment for tomorrow, but actually, my knee is symptom free now. I will still go, and get him to work on my twisty hip (untechnical term) and headaches instead. I need to be in top walking/hiking form for a walking holiday in England I have planned for September, not to mention all the stuff I want to do around here.

Quote:
quote:The thought of being held back from hiking and exploring is scary. Not like a wrist injury where you can just put hands in pockets.
Except if you use your hands for work!! I know what you mean though. Years ago, I fell off my bike and the handlebars landed on my hand, which swelled up like a balloon. X-rays showed no fracture, but I got a note getting me out of work for the weekend (it was a retail type job that required constant use of my hand). It was the start of a sunny May long weekend, and I'd been scheduled to work the entire weekend. Instead, since I had family on Bowen, I lounged on their beautiful, large, sunny deck with a view; my injured hand didn't take away from the enjoyment at all. It was great!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Summit Master

Bowen is always great! Glad to hear knee is better
So, if I ever need a chiropractor, Andy McDowell might be able to help?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

Bowen is always great! Glad to hear knee is better
So, if I ever need a chiropractor, Andy McDowell might be able to help?
Absolutely!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page