I'm not one for drama... - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default I'm not one for drama...

December 28-29, 2013

...but we had plenty this weekend. It started out as a planned trip up Mt. Mercer via it's east ridge, but seeing the patchy snow on the Foley FSR had us change plans and head up Williams Ridge again. The snow level was a bit higher this time, but above 1000m everything was frozen. Broken trail up to and along the ridge. As some of you may have read a couple of weeks ago, we were up here under similar circumstances, but turned around early because Katie had disappeared for about 20 minutes and I was ticked (and cold) from waiting/looking for her. Well wouldn't you know it, the girl disappeared again, but a little further along the ridge to Williams. This time it was no easy task looking for her because of the hard snow and her being too light to leave any tracks. I also didn't see or hear where she left the main trail. I wandered back and forth along the ridge and came across two gentlemen on their way up, but they hadn't see her. I continued to wander back and forth, but nothing, not a peep out of her. About 2 1/2 hours after last seeing her, it was time to decide what to do. Hunker down for the night and have my parents go frantic and send search and rescue out to the wrong location (Mt. Mercer), or head down to the car, wave someone down to send a message to my parents that I was going to spend the night in the car and hope Katie followed my scent down. If she didn't, I would head back up in the morning and look for her again. I went down to the car, all the while wondering if I was making the right choice.

Flagged a truck down and had them relay a written message to my parents once they reached cell phone range. Part of the message was for someone to come stay with my car while I went back up Sunday, in case Katie came down on her own without me seeing her.

It was now well into darkness and I was all settled in the car along Ch. Lake Rd. when the gentlemen I had met up on the ridge drove by as they left the trailhead parking area. They didn't stop, so I had assumed they didn't see or catch her. It was a night full of little sleep because of the comfort level, wondering what Katie was going through (if alive at all), but mostly keeping my ears open for her whining at the car door. Didn't happen.

Morning daylight brought the sound of light showers. I was hoping this meant snow higher up, and Katie tracks to follow. Family hadn't shown up by 8:30, so I was off with little sleep and food in me. I was struggling. The light rain had turned to light snow around 900m, and at 1000m I came across very fresh canine tracks in the light dusting of snow. Descending and ascending tracks. I wasn't sure if they were Katie's or coyote, as they are of similar size, but I was certain to follow them and call out often.

I reached the ridge crest and the junction with the Ford Mt. trail. These fresh canine tracks went towards Ford, but also came back and went along the Williams Ridge trail, where they also returned. I figured these had to be the tracks of a lost and scared Katie. I decided to head along Williams Ridge, still seeing the fresh tracks coming and going. I think it was around 1450m where the tracks vanished. I turned around and decided to head back off-trail on the south side, where I came across very fresh tracks in untracked snow. I was calling out loud and often, and then after one of my calls I hear a whimpery bark up on the ridge, which was no doubt Katie's "I'm looking for you" bark. I began calling her name over and over in rapid succession so that she could get a clear bearing on where I was. Boy, hearing her barking getting closer and closer was magical. But even more magical was actually seeing her running towards me. I broke down. Now, Katie gets pretty darn excited when I see her at home, but this was something different altogether. She was dancing around and over me with licks to the face and whining...wow, was she ever relieved to see me.

She was on her own for 25 hours. Why she was so indecisive about following my scent all the way down to the car, I don't know. According to her tracks, she felt it was better to stay closer to where she last saw me, up on the ridge. I was cold in the car, so I can't imagine how cold she was up on the ridge overnight (she didn't have her coat on). I'm guessing she kept moving all night.

All pumped up and eager to share the great news with family I expected to see waiting down at the trailhead, we blasted down the trail. There is my dad and brother looking all settled for a long stay with a campfire going, good supply of firewood, lawn chairs, instant canopy set up, coffee and lots of much needed food. I admit to breaking down again when my dad asked how I was doing and offered a hug. I don't think any of us were expecting me to find her alive.

As I am munching down and we are going through the events of those two days, we see Katie let out a huge puke. A mixture of the food I gave her when I found her, the food just given to her by dad and brother, and some bone/deer hair. The bone/deer hair is likely what drew her off into la la land and started this whole mess. Must be a rotting carcass along Williams Ridge that she can't resist.

Not only did the people I waved down on Ch. Lake Road come through and deliver the messege to my parents, but my dad tells me the two gentlemen I met up on the ridge had in fact come across Katie around 3 pm Saturday. She wouldn't come to them, but came within 20' and they tried to throw a rope around her, unsuccessfully. They felt bad leaving her and hearing her barking up on the ridge as they descended, but they had to get down too. Once they got home, they saw a 'lost dog' post my mom had posted somewhere on the web and called her with what they saw. I've since called him back and thanked him.

So, there you go, some drama from John and Katie. Katie and I both know there are dangers and risks to being up in the mountains. We are willing to take those risks for something we both have a passion for. Yes, this was a very stressful situation that I don't want to go through again, and will be contemplating ways to minimize the chances of repetition. I know the bear-bell is going back on. Some will say ‘It's simple, put her on leash', but to know Katie and I is to know it is not that simple. A huge part of the mountain appeal, for both of us, is the freedoms it allows. Much of that is gone with a leash attached between us.

Taking pictures was at the bottom of the priority list and never entered my mind once she was lost, so here is the one and only picture taken from the two day ordeal. That night in the car I was wondering if that was going to be the last one of her. It pretty much sums the little girl up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

My God that must have been awful for both of you. I'm so glad everyone is safe!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Just glad to hear you guys found each other, John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Summit Master

John.. what to say. Had tear in my eye reading about her frantic bark when you finally found her. No, don't put leash on her. Bell, perhaps. Just get into habit of calling her whenever she gets out of sight.

So happy all ended well. Here's to great start of 2014 and many more great adventures of John and Katie in year to come
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: fishing, downhill/x-country skiing,hiking/backpacking, canoeing, snowshoing

So very happy you two were reunited and nonetheless for wear! The little buggers get into our hearts and obviously we into theirs and that not knowing what has become of the other can be very hard on us all. Great outcome, good to hear.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

I'm very happy for you and Katie. It must have been terrible for you both. I guess she can't resist deer carcass[B)].

Now it all makes sense, how the story got changed from Mercer to Williams Ridge on FB.

Happy New Year!
Lynn
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Oh thank goodness. I know what it's like to loose a pet in the mountains. No fun at all. I'm glad she was ok and that you found each other again. Good planning on your part and good thing she decided to stay close to where you lost her.

Yay for happy endings!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

All's well that ends well. Very glad to hear this resolved in the positive.

Have you tired a dog tracker?

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Time-Trac.../dp/B0087BLMA6
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: SEA KAYAKING HIKING FISHING

Glad to hear you both were reunited and safely.

Have you ever considered using one of those GPS tracking units that fit on a dogs collar? I know they aren't cheap but it would provide an additional level of tracking ability if Katie takes interest again in a romp on the wild side.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Great read. I'm glad it all turned out well. If she wears a doggy back-pack, you could slip a SPOT in a pocket and keep it in track mode. Then again, she might be following you a little closer for a while!

post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Glad it all worked out. Bet the tail wagged the dog when she saw you the next day.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Summit Master

that's a great Christmas story John.
That carcass probably kept her busy and alive overnight.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Always nice to hear a happy ending.
That dog tracker sounds like it might be the ticket John.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Summit Master

Anything attached to a roaming dog needs to be small and not catch on anything that will trap the animal or wreck the tracker. A flush collar mount of sorts, don't attach it to her coat or back pack if she has one.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2013, 06:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

Anything attached to a roaming dog needs to be small and not catch on anything that will trap the animal or wreck the tracker. A flush collar mount of sorts, don't attach it to her coat or back pack if she has one.
Interesting point. Is a doggy backpack considered to be small/smooth enough for a dog that may go off on his/her own or does it present a risk of getting caught?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page