Bumpy Meadows-Pedley Pass July 21 2013 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Bumpy Meadows-Pedley Pass July 21 2013

The day after hiking Chalice Creek in the Bugaboos, we chose this short hike SE of Invermere before the long drive back to Salmon Arm (or Kelowna for my son Kyle). Pedley Pass is at the head of Windermere Creek, up a very rough logging road. Rough enough that there were only pickups at the TH, not even SUVs.

The trail is a popular hike, only 2.2 km to the pass (290 m elevation gain) then another 1 km (+ 140 m) to the summit east of the pass. Took us 55 minutes, even with photo stops. There were many families enjoying this fine day, with kids as young as 5 reaching the summit. The trail starts with a short steep climb, then levels off through Bumpy Meadows before ascending to the pass.

Some pics:

Bumpy Meadows

At the summit east of Pedley Pass. Yes that's Assiniboine behind me.

Here's a close-up.

View east. I think that's Mt Joffre...

With more time you could ridgewalk north along the shaded ridge behind Kyle.

Descending back to Pedley Pass. A route leads to a small tarn beside the small snowpatch at centre left, then up the cirque valley to the ridge and left to summit of Mt Aeneas.

View down to the parking lot and TH. Purcells in background, you can make out the Bugaboos just left of centre.

On our way back we stopped for a short walk and dip at Windermere Wells, a neat sinkhole just off the logging/mining road. Kyle did some cliff jumping, but not from any of the highest ledges, which are up to 30 metres high.

We had a great weekend together. My one worry was I had a U joint that was failing, but it held together enough to get us up and over Rogers Pass...while pulling a 5th wheel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM
High on the Mountain Top

What a beautiful spot. Pedley/Bumpy is an excellent first leg of some great scrambles too. I had never heard of it until I read about in Matt Gunn's old book "hikes around Invermere". We headed up there in early September this year and it's top of the list to do again next summer.

It is a fair distance back there, some ways past the mine, and the road is pretty rough Glad to hear you made it out of there OK.

BTW, not sure if you heard why it's called the 'Bumpy Meadows'? The uniquely silty soils,in the meadow area, frost heave every winter, creating those odd bumps.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Yeah the bumps were pretty interesting. I just couldn't compose a photo that would do them justice.

I was also surprised by the horse use on that trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 05:58 PM
High on the Mountain Top

According to my local hiking pal, the Bumpies look their best after a hard frost in the fall. The whole meadow then looks like there's waves on it.

Such great access to amazing places from there, no wonder the horse riders like it, and the snow machine people too. Nice TR, great pics ... really looking forward to getting back there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

That is one very beautiful area. Nice shots too.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

Nice to see summer pics. Thanks for next summers' incentive!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page