User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By Ian Robertson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Elusive Deeks Peak

There are 3 ways (I know off) one can approach Deeks Peak: 1) from Deeks/Windsor col, by hiking HSCT+standard Mt. Windsor Trail 2) Kallahne Creek Trail 3) Old Deeks Bypass Trail. I've been up Mt. Windsor as well as Kallahne Lake, so natural choice was to research less known approach via Old Deeks Bypass. Should I be successful, on return I'd drop back one of 2 remaining routes thus forming a loop. Here is how it eventually panned out:

Obviously I made it, but there were couple of considerable route-finding problems. The night before I actually studied Karvitk' report, but he neglects to mention critical point on Deeks Bypass. So here is bit of extra info:

About an hour from Porteau parking along HSCT watch for flagged junction; this will be just after first steep bit above logging road (and true Deeks Lake Trailhead). There is old metal plate nailed on tree that reads "Old Bypass". Trail is well defined and marked with orange diamonds; it heads up, crosses bit of ravine, then climbs around couple of bluffs. About 15 mins from HSCT junction comes the critical part. You exit on bit of open bluff with good views of Howe Sound. Trail continues right and down. This is WRONG. Although still marked, soon it enters severe deadfall where even Tarzan would have problems. I crossed first bit, but it became obvious this was going nowhere. About an hour wasted. So I turned back, already thinking how to salvage a day. You can see this bit as dead end in my GPS track. Coming back to that viewpoint I noticed indistinct flag at edge of bush to the left. You really have to pay attention -- it is not obvious. Intrigued, I looked. This is the RIGHT way. Footbed is indistinct, but flagging is good and there is no bush or deadfall to speak off. Trail heads hastily upwards, but is always easy to follow. Finally around 1000 elevation it exits on nice open bluff with views of Howe Sound to die for. It is worth dragging your behind up to here just for awesome sight of Anvil Island directly bellow:

Above this, flagging is more sparse but terrain is semi-open and direction logical. Higher up trail enters overgrown section and navigation problems start. I ascended steep terrain to the left of large bluff, with quite a bit of bush to contend with. Eventually I lost the flags - or maybe they just ceased, but no matter as I entered large meadow with main Deeks ridge visible above. Steep scrambly bit catapulted me to rocky platform where I intersected trail from Kallahne Creek (Waypoint 3: Kallahne Junction). This is now about an hour from Deeks Peak itself. Trail comes and goes, but general direction is obvious: clamber across or around couple of bumps, until you reach the last one then scramble easily to the summit. Couple of pics:

1- Final bit of Deeks Ridge. Summit in sight upper left
2- Super views back to Howe Sound and Tantalus Range
3- Deeks Peak summit
4- Mt. Windsor across the street

Spent pregnant 10 minutes on summit munching late lunch, then it was decision time: Drop down to Windsor/Deeks col, or return back via Kallahne Creek? Sunshine was gorgeous, so I opted for Kallahne return as that would give me at least an hour of open terrain (whereas for Windsor option it is basically straight in the woods). Descending eventually reached large semi-open plateau with several tarns; here second major routefinding problem occurred. Flags stopped and there were several small trails basically running around in circles. For someone climbing up this way from Kallahne Lake route is probably obvious; not quite so when you are descending (for the first time). Wasted at least 1/2 hour here; eventually discovered correct -- but not logical -- direction: turn sharp left (west) and drop steeply through the bush; you exit on sizable talus slope I recognized from other reports. Route is now obvious again: at bottom, turn sharp right and descend bone jarring, rocky gully for quite some time. Occasional flag and cairn was comforting. This part is probably much easier in snow. Last bit before the Lost Lake Shelter -- and familiar territory -- is through alder jungle; 2 large boulders straddle the path, and you have to clamber across. Finally I exited to the lake; rest was now 'formality', but it was already 6pm. Descent was largely in dark under headlamp; and although 'trail' has been cleared by NSH, it was quite challenging to follow. I was glad for my spring trip as I was familiar with overall direction; otherwise I'd probably elect to overnight at the cabin. I still managed to wipe out couple of times; didn't even realize I had bit of cut under the eye which was gently bleeding. Stopping at Whole Foods in North Van, I noticed clerk was looking funny at me -- no wonder as I had river of hardened blood running straight down to my chin I was not aware off [:0]

Finally some stats, as reported by GPS (including all side roaming while route-finding):

Distance: 21 km
Vertical: 1850m
Time: Won't say as Katie would laugh, but 10-11 hours is what most people will need

Alternate, fully mobile friendly, trip report with downloadable GPS track here
russellcoffin likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 08-18-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Headed for the Mountains

What a fun hike, have done it a number of times and always find it interesting when route finding comes into play. Glad to hear you won the fight! [B)]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Well done. I think I remember the area where you lost the route. I either got lucky or spotted a well hidden flagging remnant. Who knows? But it's great that you've identified the right way to go for future explorers. I really enjoyed this route. The cuts and scratches make you look more authentic for Hallowe'en.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the TR! Valuable information here that I hope to put to good use at some point!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Sounds like an adreneline (sp?) filled day...the best kind! : )

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok

Distance: 21 km
Vertical: 1850m
Time: Won't say as Katie would laugh, but 10-11 hours is what most people will need
I find when people post their times to be very helpful in planning my day, so please don't be embarrassed because of some floppy-eared sniffer. Heck, you take some fabulous pictures and take the time to put together a proper TR, yet I still have no problem posting mine. : )
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking / camping

looking at my tracks from a bunch of years ago. our track looks more direct from the shelter / lake to the the summit. but we did it in winter on snowshoes so we could walk anywhere we wanted to.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

The views and sense of accomplishment make it all worth it.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks guys! Simon - yes, sense of accomplishment (of which you know something about but there is also price to pay. I am developing some sort of degenerative disease / arthritis in my foot joints, probably result of several decades doing stuff like this.

smac - I was just talking to someone; Deeks might be better suited as winter snowshoe (given no avalanche danger, because of that steep slope leading up to the ridge). Stony gully / drainage above Kallahne shelter is quite a pain; at least it was dry yesterday

guntis - thanx, although I probably don't need Halloween costume to look scary lol
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by zeljkok I am developing some sort of degenerative disease / arthritis in my foot joints, probably result of several decades doing stuff like this.
I'll take that any day over the crap I'm developing from sitting all day in front of a computer. Well done!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:55 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I'll be posting more info soon … but we can add one more route to Deeks now, the route from Phyllis Lake on up will (with the addition of a couple of ropes) also go … short circuiting things to get to Capilano (and even moreso when a route gets sorted coming directly from the West instead of wrapping around the North).
Jaaklucas likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Scaling New Heights

The first time I went up to Deeks peak about 15 years ago we went up the bypass route,my buddy found something written about it.We took my dog who was pretty good at those kind of routes and sometimes good at finding routes when not obvious.I was armed with the Fairley book and it said you could get back down to the lake directly by staying east of the cliffs that the bypass route avoids.We took a look,saw what looked like a trail and my dog seemed to back me up so off we went.It was actually a series of bear slides that took us down to the north end of the lake. Not sure about going up to Deeks peak this way but it was not dangerous though not particularly pleasant.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Looking back 5 yrs now after my initial post I think bypass is hands-down best way up Deeks. But for return I'd now favor Windsor col and down via Deeks lake / HSCT. Only issue is initial drop to the col as way is not obvious, specially if coming down that way for the 1st time. Anyone thinking about this, easiest way breaches the bluffs skier right. This is set of pics from below:

Pics lifted from Ryan report: https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...0-07-10-a.html
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Took 3 attempts to reach Deeks summit us with "Wildman" some years back. Included two times up an old bypass trail you can almost miss.

Great hike, and those several tarns looked very interesting.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Looking back 5 yrs now after my initial post I think bypass is hands-down best way up Deeks. But for return I'd now favor Windsor col and down via Deeks lake / HSCT. Only issue is initial drop to the col as way is not obvious, specially if coming down that way for the 1st time. Anyone thinking about this, easiest way breaches the bluffs skier right. This is set of pics from below:

When I saw this site in the winter last year, I was sure there was no way up it. Luckily I had this and Ryans trip report saved to my phone and I was able to figure it out. I'm sure it has been flagged better after this year. If anyone is planning on doing it in winter, it's not terrible, just rather intimidating at first. Some photos below. Also went up through Old Bypass in the fall to the lookout at 1000 meters and it was a great, and fairly well maintained trail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3040.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	263998

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3042.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	264000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page