Mount Frosty, Sunday, October 13 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Wife, family, reading, walking, exploring, looking at maps, genealogy, history, church community, garden, friends, dahlias, rock walls, my wonderful classes, colleagues at work, the list goes on.
Default Mount Frosty, Sunday, October 13

What a great day up on Frosty. We left pretty early - at least we were among the first in the parking lot at Lightning Lakes. Before we knew it after setting off, we began to have great views of the lakes

We made it to the cabin pretty quickly. I seemed to feel that walking on the top of the snow made for quick travelling. We warmed ourselves around the fire at the cabin. So fun!

I think the pictures say it all: the views, the snow, the larches were all wonderful.

There were literally hundreds of people up there - all over the trail, and on the sides of the trail. Everyone looked like they were having a great time.

Preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words.
St. Francis of Asissi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Summit Master

Nice pictures, nice weather.

Hundreds of people?! When I was there last Thursday, no one else went up the trail all day.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Wife, family, reading, walking, exploring, looking at maps, genealogy, history, church community, garden, friends, dahlias, rock walls, my wonderful classes, colleagues at work, the list goes on.

Yes, I would say that. We were the first to the cabin, beside the people who slept there that night. At the cabin, we were passed by a party of six. We encountered ten people coming down as we went up.

We went as far as the scramble up the final ascent, but had to turn around because one of our party was in pain. As we came down, we saw so many people; we would pass two or three (or five or eight,) and then immediately meet more on the trail. Also, there were a lot who just came up to the larches and then went off the trail to eat or rest.

I wouldn't say it was crowded, but you could hear people chattering everywhere. It was unbelievable. But of course, we could still experience the vast silence that is up there as well.

Everyone just seemed to be having a great time. The last hikers we encountered coming up were two ladies at the cabin at about 1:30.

We got down and the parking lot at LL was full. So glad to see so many enjoying the spectacular day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Sleeping in that cabin strikes me as a great way to contract anthrax...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

How so?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Off the Beaten Path

No flooring and infested by rodents. Perfect breeding ground for anthrax spores.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Headed for the Mountains

More likely Hanta virus which can be a problem with rodent infestations.
Anthrax can be harbored by larger herbivores, like cattle or sheep.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 03:21 PM
Off the Beaten Path

What he said... Hanta, not Anthrax! (they sound awfully close in my native language)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM
hb
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, scrambling, snowshoeing, tai chi

We saw one person on Skyline Trail East and were grateful to him for his trail breaking most of the way to Snow Camp Mtn. Could see where he had post holed up to his hip in places. Later we saw two other people near Despair Pass. that was it. There were more cars in the parking lot than people on the trail. I was thinking people on Frosty would have even more snow to plough through but it sounds like there were plenty of hikers to share the task. A beautiful day!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

A lot of people... we came to the parking lot, and there were 20 cars before us.

K

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page