Mt. Cokely/Mt. Arrowsmith - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Mt. Cokely/Mt. Arrowsmith

As today was the final day of my vacation and I have spent the last 2 weeks either bush bashing up some peaks on the Island or hiking in some beautiful Mainland alpine, some friends and I decided to go for a "fast'n'light" trip today. Left Nanaimo at 6 am in thick fog and headed for Cameron Lake. It didn't take long to get above the fog and into bluebird skies without a cloud in sight (except below us). Summitted Mt. Cokely in 2 hours.

We then dropped off the summit down to the saddle, up to the Bumps, up the Nose and onto the summit of Mt. Arrowsmith.
We then reversed course and headed back to the summit of Mt. Cokely (we counted this as a 3 summit trip). Cokely to Cokely time...3 hours. It was just about now that the first rumblings of thunder off in the distance could be heard, the wind whipped up, and the clouds started to move in....time to go!
The rain and much closer rumbling started in earnest as we dropped below the old ski hill and onto the logging roads and everything just opened up as we hit the bush and the fine single track. Time for us to open it up as well. This is one of the finest trails to run that I have ever been on. As we flew along, the lightning got so close that I could hear it sizzle in the split second before the ear splitting booms...THUNDER RUN!!!
The storm continued even after we reached the car. Car to car time...6.5 hours, 25 km, 2800 m of ascent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Wow. That was a hell of a storm today. I was at Sproat Lake watching and there was some great lightning and very loud thunder.I'm very impressed you were up Arrowsmith. I was below the fog all morning so wasn't sure what the weather would be like outside of the valley. Glad you had clear skies for the morning.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page