THE STILL - A Good Scramble Sept.08.13 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.
Default THE STILL - A Good Scramble Sept.08.13

THE STILL, 3rd highest peak in the Cheam to Welch Mountain Range, south of Chilliwack, Name comes from local miners who saw steam and clouds arise from that mountain, which looked like steam coming out of a still for making spirits. Good spirits may I add.

This was my fourth visit using that bottom log crossing airplane creek way down. I should thank TedOliver twice for inspiring two of my visits, through his interest in scrambline this mountain. Unfortunately lack of transportation out of Vancouver prevented him from joining us.

I posted this event weeks in advance, and assembled a fine vigorous crew of five; Mike (North VAn Hiker), Matthorin(Matt); IMTENGS (Luke), High Falls (Mark), and Doug called in the last minute. Everyone welcome.

We met at the Starbucks meeting spot, and carpooled in Mark's and Mike's truck. We got to the trailhead, and found two ladies of considerable experience getting ready to do the same trip. They looked like they had 30 years experience of hiking and scrambling; and found they were moving at close to SIMONC's speed. \Phenonmenal

Took us twenty minutes to gear up; I think I held everyone up checking and packing my gear.

We started moving at 8:30 am and were at the creek crossing bottom of Airplane Creek by 9:30 am

After crossing, enjoyed briefly the gentle trail before it headed very steeply up, moderating somewhat just before the alpine.

We took a good rest break for 20 minutes in the alpine and enjoyed the views around us.
..we could see the two lady scramblers crossing on a sideslope, and hence our group decided to follow rather than going up through by Baby Munday first.

Crossing the sidehill on live grass was a lot easier than crossing on dead fallen grass.

We crossed a ravine with flowing water I had not crossed before, then up and stopped for lunch south of and overlooking the lake.

We got a view of the STILL and could see the two ladies on the summit. We then got a better idea of the approach. We could see them coming down along the snowfield.

From the lake we headed downslope and around then up behind the red Rock. Met up with the two ladis who gave directions on where to go.
The approach is to head left then up to and then follow along slope to the snowfield. I got behind the group taking pictures and taking longer catch my breath stops. Result I missed the easy part, and scrambled up a piece like John of "John & Katie" had written about. Lost one pole, only the handle left. (Finest poles ever had; a gift from John) sob !

MADE IT TO THE Summit at last; just as \Mark said "3rd time is the charm" to get the main objective....

Thanks Luke for fixing up the summit cairn.

Time to head down:

Then a brief snack stop on a flat surface below before heading down...

Down we followed the blue flag line.. recommended by the ladies; they informed we took the hard way up, i.e. to the lake.

We got back to vehicles around 7:15 p.m. thereby making it 10.75 hours car to car. This included more than 1-1/2 hours for alpine, lake, and summit stops. So perhaps we can estimate moving time below 9-1/4 hours. It took 3-3/4 hours to descend from the summit to reach the vehicles.

GPS Distance; 16 to 18 km with cumulative elevation gain on rough trail and scramble of 1480 meters.

I am very happy to accomplish completion of this summit with the great group of friends who joined me. It was great to feel Luke's enthusiasm for the trip... and everyone putting in a great effort to complete this adventure.

GPS TRACK
The light blue line is not part of this trip, it is a track from the Stewart Trek last year.
First one (overview), last one focus on lake & summit block.

Video to come later on.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Good trip and one I knew you wanted to get done.

It would of been nice to see two different tracks up and down to see what is the better route via the ladies one and where you went wrong going up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Good picture of looking back at what you just accomplished - well done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming, tai chi, meditation.

Way to go Karl and team, you must have almost **** your pants...hehe!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:29 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

Looks like a very nice scramble! We were at Crossover Pass at 2:00 taking your picture.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wally, Simon, Lynn, and Stu. Thank you for your kind complliments. It is indeed with a sense of satisfaction, very happy to see what we accomplished on our way down. And also the weather was great. Stu, thanks for those pictures. I think our group was just getting up there around 2 pm

K
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here is the video, a composite of 3 pieces. Hope this is viewable, as I still had some problems in having it loaded to UTUBE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoJ_I...ature=youtu.be

k
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: I like to mostly hike and snowshoe. Mountain biking, kayaking and adventure racing are some other things I spend my time doing.

Karl once again it was nice to get out hiking with you. Thanks for organizing, nice to meet everyone ... fun group.

A few pics from our day

Mark
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: hiking, outdoor sports, travel

A great report Karl. Up to your usual standards! Thanks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mark

It was super to join us on the trial, look forward to more adventures with you on the trail. Thanks for posting the great set of photos.

John
Thankyou, it is good to get up there and conclude that one... There is Lady Peak to catch next, considering Welch and Foley, but will need to do a bit more research on those two.

K
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Scaling New Heights

Glad to see you made it to the top. It was fun seeing your group up there. Here are a few of my pictures from the route up.

And the summit shot. I notice everyone is sitting on the top on your summit shots also. Not really a top for dancing on.

And your group down by the lake while we were on top.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bc2skier

Glad to see you made it to the top. It was fun seeing your group up there.
And your group down by the lake while we were on top.

Jana. Thank you very much for those wonderful pictures. We watched your progress on the side-sloping meadows, and you were making a good pace. This helped us on following your way in, as we were unsure. Thank you for the directions, and all very helpful.

We followed your way down, which turned out to be a lot easier than the way we headed up the lake.

I especially like your shot of us by the lake.

K
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Scaling New Heights

A B C D E
A: Starting up the trail
B: A little stream
C: The peaks surrounding The Still, with The Still being middle-left.
D: A quick rest
E: Group photo

A B C D E
A: Airplane Creek
B: Hiking up through the steep forest
C: Our destination
D and E: Hiking along the middle reaches of the mountain.

A B C D E
A: Clouding in a little
B through E: Up on the glacier/snowfield.

A B C D E
A: 'icebergs'
B: The glacial lake
C: Snowfields.
D and E: routefinding near the summit.

A B C D E
A: Hiking along a bench near the summit.
B: A quick break
C and D: Views from the summit
E: Myself, happy to have made it out on my first CT group trip!

A B C D
A: A glacier below the summit
B: On the summit
C: Crossing a stream
D: Midway down, breaking in a blueberry patch near where the meadows and the woods transition together.

It was a great hike.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Looks like a great time Karl and gang! I was looking for you from the top of Cheam but to no avail. I had to content myself with shuffling along with the crowds and eating my fill of blueberries!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, biking, running, kayaking, scrambling, snowshoeing, backpacking and ice-skating.

Great job everyone! I get tired just thinking about The Still and looking at the pictures. Looks steep! Glad the clouds cleared for you and awesome photos.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page