Panorama via Helm - Sept.8, 2013 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Default Panorama via Helm - Sept.8, 2013

After doing Russet/Musical Bumps and a little more yesterday wasn't sure if I should do another biggie today but my friend really wanted to go since he had never been to Panorama nor from the Cheakamus route. That would make it about 70km I've hiked in the past two days but hey who's counting lol He's not much for the sunrise hikes so we started at about 6:45am. Was nice and cool on the way up, too cool for wasps thankfully (although I knew we would meet some on the way down given it would be warmer). The sky had that September blue feel to it, perfectly clear. Good timing since around lunch it started to cloud over. We seemed to make it to the top before the crowds from Garibaldi Lake made it up there. We spent more than an hour up there but by the time we left, the peak was crowded somewhat. I got chased by a few wasps on the way down, and luckily I nocited a mega size hornet on my ankle before it got its stinger in me. Great day out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

A fine collection of photos. especially the lake shots. Those wasp reports; yours as one; are coming in thick and fast. Good time for snow to come and freeze off their butts.

K
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Off the Beaten Path

You know you visit a place way too often when there's not even a picture of the destination itself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Such anger! Really, you should try to get out more.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ubishops

There was a photo of the destination but the moderator always takes the liberty of deleting some of my photos. There is a limit of 15 for me. Looks like the loser has too much time on his hands. By the looks of his profile photo it doesn't surprise me. I guess the amount that I get out rubs this guy the wrong way
Given that others provide this site for you to post your trips and pictures, it doesn't seem like a huge imposition to place some limit on the # of photos. I almost never look at more than, say, a dozen shots in one article, and fewer if the trip was in a commonly visited place like this.

So why don't you choose your best 15 for your articles and leave it at that? See which ones are of the same subject matter and post only the best of them.

No need to trash someone else or fill your mind with negative thoughts during these great hikes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Then make the rule applicable to everyone - consistent not only give me a hard time because you have a grudge etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

More friends with honey than with vinegar...

Although it seems ubishops may have a point, that being he believes his photos are being moderated in excess and removed, and that it's personal and directed toward him

( which I'm not sure of so don't quote me on whether that is fact or not, I rarely upload more than 10 so I wouldn't know )

My thoughts are...

Ubishops is an active member on these forums who I find has excellent contributions.

Hopefully, one day the moderator will ease up, but it's not going to help if you're slamming him or her. Just stick with the 15 for now.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

Sorry to say but the thousands of pictures you've posted take up a lot of bandwidth, and this site is free to you but an expense from a very generous person so maybe be a little bit more grateful that you can post for free.

You do the same trips at least once a week and post several pics of the same destination in new T/R's every time, every week. Maybe just tone it down a little or start one thread for each destination and keep posting on those.

People appreciate your updates but so many pictures, in a new T/R each time, on the same places, and on a weekly basis, is not necessary. So yeah, I for one agree with limiting the amount of pics that are posted if it's of the same thing on a regular basis from the same poster.

I really don't think the issue is of a personal grudge.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Makes sense - I'm easy going so I'll be more selective
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ubishops

After doing Russet/Musical Bumps and a little more yesterday wasn't sure if I should do another biggie today but my friend really wanted to go since he had never been to Panorama nor from the Cheakamus route. That would make it about 70km I've hiked in the past two days but hey who's counting lol He's not much for the sunrise hikes so we started at about 6:45am. Was nice and cool on the way up, too cool for wasps thankfully (although I knew we would meet some on the way down given it would be warmer). The sky had that September blue feel to it, perfectly clear. Good timing since around lunch it started to cloud over. We seemed to make it to the top before the crowds from Garibaldi Lake made it up there. We spent more than an hour up there but by the time we left, the peak was crowded somewhat. I got chased by a few wasps on the way down, and luckily I nocited a mega size hornet on my ankle before it got its stinger in me. Great day out!
Great photos!

How long would you say the hike takes on this route at an average pace?

Every time I've tried panorama it's been cloudy and I'm sick of the Garibaldi switchbacks. Is helm creek 'easier'?
Would it be same difficulty for black tusk via this route?
Cheakamus lake accessible with 2wd?

Cheers!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Figured I should respond here. First off, I'll delete any post that calls me or Jim or others a loser. That's not acceptable on the site.

Ubishops has acknowledged in emails to me that he would reduce his photo count, and yet he continues to add more than the 15 that he agreed upon.

Further to this, he is consistently visiting the same areas, and often repeating photos. While there are some great photos in his collections, the site doesn't need 70 pictures of Panorama Ridge each week.

Beyond this, there are TRs that have more than 15 photos, but they are often new areas, well organized TRs with details, and are not repeats of TRs from literally 3 days earlier.

Any other concerns, feel free to email me directly.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Exploring BC ... preferably self propelled, self supported with free heels and a free spirit

First off, hearty thanks to Jim and Darren (and any others?) who make this site happen, as mentioned, at no charge to us Punters. It's a great resource and fine alternative to Bivouac (and hey, if you're looking for a kooky site administrator...)

Second, I've commented before that ubishops could really use a photo editor. Perhaps it takes an experienced eye to determine which photo(s) tell a useful story or portray the current conditions - anything more just dilutes the message. Maybe over time he'll come to this realization.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gimmesnow
Every time I've tried panorama it's been cloudy and I'm sick of the Garibaldi switchbacks. Is helm creek 'easier'?
Would it be same difficulty for black tusk via this route?
Cheakamus lake accessible with 2wd?
gimmesnow, trail from Cheakamus is not as smooth as from Rubble Creek and it's not completely free from switchbacks either. Hard to call it easier, but it definitely has less people.
The road to Cheakamus has a few potholes, but otherwise is in good shape and shouldn't cause any problems for a 2wd.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I much prefer the Helm Creek trail over the boring and dusty Garibaldi switchbacks. The gravel road to the Cheakamus Lake trailhead could use some grading, it was full of potholes a month and a half ago. However, if you go slow, no problem for 2WD.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Summit Master

^
(one more vote for Helm as opposed to Rubble switchbacks)

ubishops, I have a friendly suggestion for you. You must realize there are more hiking destinations in beautiful Coast Mountains than Garibaldi, Joffre and Wedgemount? Someone with your extreme fitness level and love for outdoors would really benefit from exploring a bit more. Pick up Scrambles book - there are amazing destinations in there. Did you know that Wedgemount which you have done 100+ times actually has super extension up Mt. Cook that is no more than 2 hrs above the lake (less for someone like you) - with scenic rewards far greater than just going up to the lake or glacier.

I'll give you another example. Recently I hiked up Sigurd Peak in Tantalus, of which I posted a TR. This is outstanding hike, but quite strenuous -- I was sore for 4-5 days after, but you wouldn't be. I had comments from people who can not get up there, but enjoyed seeing it through my eyes. Think how much more you would contribute by sharing trips like this, and how much it would ultimately make you feel better as well.

I am not trying to be bashful; but as free site which is about sharing of lovely outdoors I think we should all try to contribute in a best possible way - as well as be nice to others, specially moderators who are doing wonderful job (for free)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page