Snass For a Sixth Time - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.
Default Snass For a Sixth Time

To a certain extent my priorities have been in the wrong place, and I haven't taken the time to write-up a report for a while. In some ways it's been nice just to read about everyone else's hiking trips, though I'll admit an element of laziness has crept in. Besides, most of my hikes this year have been repeats, or straight out the 103 hikes book.

In the past, visiting the same mountain many times gave a feeling of tradition and nostalgia that made the trips worthwhile. Hey, don't get me wrong, any hike is better than going to work, but it's apparent that seeking out personal first ascents is more rewarding.

At least this is my first proper TR for Snass, the original one was posted to the gear section by mistake some 5 years ago.https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=27394

Most of the details can be found there, one that stood out personally is that my two dogs featured in the report no longer come along. Jasper passed away a couple years ago, and now Rainy's become badly arthritic at the young age of 8. On some hikes I'll bring along a little Schnauzer now, since he loves it. However, this dog is way too valuable to risk losing, he's by far the smartest one I've met. Besides, despite what he thinks, his position on the food chain is quite low.

The horse people have the Dewdney Trail cleared, but the Whatcom has seen little work done on blow downs. In general the trail seems to be losing popularity, all the open areas are lightly overgrown now, the foot bed faint in these sections. I was travelling with the saw out, mostly cutting dead branches from downed trees to make them easier to pass. A bit higher up an alpine fir was bent across the trail. While sawing through it began cracking, which I thought was just the weight of the top end. Another unseen tree was giving support, and at certain point my tree snapped, springing up like a bad survivorman trap. Now that was some serious chin music!

Unscathed, I put the saw away and carried on to the first nice meadows at the main creek crossing.

Higher up we went through the scenic camping area, then Punch Bowl Pass - one of the highlights of this trail.

The trail splits at the point where you begin to drop down to the lake. Taking the branch to the right will lead to nowhere, so it's important to head straight uphill to gain the West ridge of Snass. Do this anywhere near the pass, and you'll find a climber's track up there which will lead most of the way to the summit. Interspersed are some easy scrambling sections which would be ideal for beginners. Unfortunately, I've been suffering from "cluster migraines", which show up every summer. On the scramble a severe headache descended over me, and I barely made it to a scree area before laying down. An eternity was spent waiting for the Tylenol to take effect. Finally my eyes could open, as life slowly returned to normal. Anyone who's suffered from migraines would know the great relief you feel at the end of one.

Not having much further to go, we finished our journey to the summit area with it's helicopter pad.

The rugged looking Snazzy Peak.

Looking down the North slope to a potential bivy area.

Whiskeyjack - cute and courageous.

Feeling much better now, I set a good pace back along the ridge. From many points you get a fine view of Punchbowl Lake.

This report is a few weeks old now, but I have a recent update that the creek by the camping area still flows.

Never have seen this dry, have you?

Typical Manning Park scene.

From a point far from the peak, you can look back to see it off in the distance. I'll admit to giving a little fist-pump seeing this view, not for victory over the mountain, but for overcoming my reasons for turning back.

Snass, I think six times is enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, UL Backpacking, canoeing, snowshoeing

Thanks for the trail updates! I was considering heading up to Punchbowl Lake this Friday.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Does anybody ever go over to Snazzy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks for getting me on the right track BillyGoat or I might still be posting trips in the gear section.

tricouni - I've yet to see a report for Snazzy, though have heard that it would involve roped climbing for most people.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Good report and update of the trail conditions, Tim.
Whiskeyjack, looks to close in breed to a dog that was a stray that I used to have.

Called him Bags, because he looked like a old bag before I cleaned him up when he decided I should be his best friend.
We got to be friends when I caught him getting into our garbage bags during garbage pickup days. After gently chasing him away for almost a month he lost fear of me and decided he should come in the house and get to know me better.

He had no collar and I had not seen it around the neighborhood before so I adopted him.
The first night he spent in the house, that next morning I made my lunch and put it in a bag as usual and left it on the kitchen table. When I finished getting ready for work and went to get my lunch he had already made short work of it.

Hence the name, Bags. Does your dog drink whiskey?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Elkaholic

Whiskeyjack - cute and courageous.
The first word that came to me when seeing these pictures was 'mischievious'. Sounds like a fun, but challenging hiking partner that leaves you with little time to fully relax. Thankfully Katie knows where she stands on the food chain. : )
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

Nice report. Glad the headache went away-- someone I love suffers from migraines and it really sets her back at times.

I once asked someone if they thought Snass would make a good snowshoe trip, but got a smartass reply. So I'll ask you your opinion?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

- Wally, these pet stories are priceless. How could you put up with an animal that attacks the garbage, then steals your lunch? Anything for a friend of course.

- John, we'll get out for a trip and let the dogs hike together.

- Clay, Snass takes around 9 hours return with no snow, so will be quite long on snowshoes. The long slope that faces Punchbowl Lake, the one used to gain the ridge, the steepness of it would make for a tough and possibly dangerous snowshoe climb. That being said, with good snow conditions, someone with your ability would eventually find a viable way to the top. Possibly from the basin SW of the peak.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 PM
EAK
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: climbing, hiking, birding, art, writing, reading, volunteering in corrections

Good report, nice pictures. I met a bear in the alpine there once who wasn't about to leave his patch of flowers, so I gave him a bit of space. To answer the questions regarding Snazzy, I went there with a friend who waited for me while I traversed a short bit of loose class 3+ scrambling to get to the peak.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The east ridge of Snazzy looks steepish and might actually be solid. Hope to get over there to check sometime.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

The east ridge of Snazzy looks steepish and might actually be solid. Hope to get over there to check sometime.
Hope you do. I expect a full report of what's in the cairn tube on top (if any....)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page