Twin Lakes / Peak 8600 (Aug 24-25) - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Twin Lakes / Peak 8600 (Aug 24-25)

I don't normally post trip reports here, but let's do one anyway (some say they give you super powers). This one is to the well known Twin Lakes near D'Arcy, BC. The plan was to camp at the lakes, and the next day scramble an unnamed 8600 peak, hike out and go back to the office the next morning.

The 3 recent slides from 3 weeks ago were repaired well enough to drive over in a 4x4. So I drove past the slides, past the start of ATV trail and parked just before the "5 ton" bridge near the end of 2nd clear cut. This saved me 2km from the 1st slide, or 3km from the 2WD parking, which is very welcome.

It was my 1st time hiking this trail so I was a bit surprised what people call an "ATV" track. I could have saved myself the boring road walk and drive at least to the cabin. Most of the road to the cabin is 2WD single lane logging road with only 1 narrow section. Oh, well.

Past the cabin the hiking became much more pleasant as I was finally out of the trees. Flowers, however, were almost completely gone. Bugs were minimal and my bug spray went completely unused on this trip.

Ascending the final ziggy-zaggy section:

At the lower lake I was greeted by an army of marmots, and this one insisted on me photographing him:

Hiked past the upper lake to scout the route for tomorrow. The 8600 peak is in the middle of this picture:

Returned to the lower lake for the night. It started to rain 5 minutes after I went to bed. Couldn't have timed it better. It rained for most of the night.

Next morning started out gloriously. Even the upper lake felt happy enough for a photograph or two:

Beginning my route to the 8600 peak, which was freshly covered in snow after the night's rain:

Traversing the big grassy slope where vegetation was knee high, I really wished I had my hiking pole with me. As if it wasn't slippery enough when it's dry, it was completely soaked as well. Had to pay the dues for my stupidity and take a few falls.

Heading to the waterfalls in the distance:

Ascended the falls. Now my original plan was to go to the col straight ahead and ascend the ridge from there:

But I figured it would be quicker to just go straight up to the ridge from right here:

So there I went:

Looking ahead and keep moving forward:

Once I gained the ridge, I was rewarded with a view to the other side of the peak:

The drop is almost vertical:

And now the objective is just another 300 meters away:

A few more steps to take:

The short life of August snow:

And there it was, waiting for me:

A view of my route. The Twin lakes are hiding in the top-right corner:

Summit shots:

The end of Downton south branch:

On the way down I decided to take the planned route up. From the top it seemed like a simple, easy walk. And it was, except for a few scrambling sections half way down.

The rest of the return route:

In the 2nd half of the day, the sky really cleared up and the greenery started to pop:

This was taken on the way in, under cloud cover:

By the time I got back to the lakes I was pretty worn. My feet were wet and I had a few hot spots. Hiking poles would have definitely made it easier. I'm still amazed by how beautiful that lower Twin lake is. I've seen many pictures, but never realized how magnificent it is until seeing it in person. Why do people camp at upper lake?

My track of the trip. Yellow - hiking to the lakes. Green - hiking to the peak. Magenta - return to lakes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Summit Master

Thanks for the t/r
Also had plans for this one, but bought a house this
Summer and hiking is almost non existent this season
For us.
Was there no one else up there ?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold
Great trip and spectacular country.
Thanx for posting.

The picture above I like the best, calendar quality, and the rest are good also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 AM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

Don't know about super powers, but you sure got my appreciation for an enjoyable TR.
Quote:
quote:
Healthy fella. Critters are doing good this year.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Were you victimized by the food stealing marmot? Apparently there's one up there that has been pilfering supplies or so I've heard.
Anyway, heck of a trip report, reminds me I still have not done this hike for no good reason
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aqua Terra

Thanks for the t/r
Also had plans for this one, but bought a house this
Summer and hiking is almost non existent this season
For us.
Was there no one else up there ?
There was no one at the lower lake. There was someone just below the lower lake, and a couple of people at upper lake. Otherwise no people at all, which is always nice. And didn't see anyone going past the upper lake.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Peak 8600 aka "Downton" Peak on a certain database.

Nice shot.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

Were you victimized by the food stealing marmot? Apparently there's one up there that has been pilfering supplies or so I've heard.
I was afraid of it, so I decided to keep the food in my tent at night. There were so many marmots around, I was pretty sure someone is going to at least try and chew through the food sack. The next day, my wife who stayed at the tent, said a marmot came and was trying to get our food.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Hiking, hunting, fishing, and many others.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arnold

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mick range

I was afraid of it, so I decided to keep the food in my tent at night. There were so many marmots around, I was pretty sure someone is going to at least try and chew through the food sack. The next day, my wife who stayed at the tent, said a marmot came and was trying to get our food.
Dried Marmot, yuummmmm : )
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, scrambling, running

A couple of us will be coming on Monday to retrieve a SUV stranded since the August long

weekend.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hills

A couple of us will be coming on Monday to retrieve a SUV stranded since the August long

weekend.
You should be able to drive out without much problem.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
quote...) a marmot came and was trying to get our food.
Can't go to sleep without a rifle by your side...

Great TR!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

i am thinking of a springy sapling bent over and tied to a weighted bag, with some goodies hanging from the line. when the marmot chews thru the line the sapling rebounds and catapults the snaffle into the distance.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dru

i am thinking of a springy sapling bent over and tied to a weighted bag, with some goodies hanging from the line. when the marmot chews thru the line the sapling rebounds and catapults the snaffle into the distance.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Excellent first report I think of Downton Peak(?), great details. Great landscape as I imagined. Thanks for this.

Impressive driving - I gather you drove quite behind most others did last yr.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page