rescue on mt marriott 19-22 August 2013 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking,whitewater canoeing,fly-fishing,3rd world travel,bridge,environmental politics
Default rescue on mt marriott 19-22 August 2013

my wife and I hiked into Wendy Thompson Hut for a couple of nights. had a pleasant meander around the upper meadows and lake on day 2 and also took a look at route to mt Marriott for a future possible solo hike for me. this is a great place to chill out that sees relatively few visitors in the summer. Lots of possible easy ridge walks nearby and at neighboring Rohr lake (which also has good fishing ).

At midnight on day two , 4 hikers arrived, one injured from a fall descending from Mt. Marriott. they left the injured hiker with us and hiked out to contact S&R.

S&R arrived in helicopter early next am. Bravo Whistler S&R!!! really nice couple of volunteers.

A few observations.

Even without the accident this group would have hiked out in the dark.

Unless you are a trail runner type Mt Marriott is not a safe destination for a day hike especially as the days get shorter. 12 to 14 hours return over endless boulder fields. Certainly not enough daylight at end August to allow any spare time for contingencies. better to stay at upper meadows overnight which means the summit is about 8 hours return.

There are a lot of better great ridge hikes that give you much more time up in the stratosphere and a lot less boring bouldering: Brandywine mt, overlord, panorama to name a few. So unless you are desperate for a new peak, perhaps give this one a miss.

The trail into the hut was a bit ambiguous in a few places and I have re-flagged.

The route above the hut needs some flagging and I ran out so next folks in please re-flag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Just my two cents, but aside from the odd extreme post-hole (hazard of the time of year I went), I rather enjoyed Marriott and would rank it higher than Overlord in my books. Some nice variable terrain. I also think you can jump up on the ridge earlier than is suggested in the scrambles guide

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topi...TOPIC_ID=55351

to avoid the boulder hopping.

As for the day hike vs overnighter....some people just don't have the time for two days. I guess the old adage works here. Know your limit and stay within it. I'd like to hear their side of the story.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

As long as you make it to the hut, it should be a pretty decent trail to hike out on in the dark isn't it? Maybe my memory has faded. A group of us did it in late Aug a couple years ago, no running required, but yes I do remember not really wanting to hike out in the dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering, Navigation, Squash

I heard two guys wanted to do Castle Towers in a day...Crazy people I say!!!! :P
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering, Navigation, Squash

I heard two guys wanted to do Castle Towers in a day...Crazy people I say!!!! :P
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Summit Master

We did Marriott in mid Aug with no problems... all depends on your speed/endurance and what time in the morning you start.

Luckily the other group were able to get the guy back to the hut.

-Ryan
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Backpacking,whitewater canoeing,fly-fishing,3rd world travel,bridge,environmental politics

the hike down from the hut in the dark is problematic down to the lake and from the lake to the meadows with lots of chances to get hurt. after that it is reasonable if you have headlamps but not a cakewalk everywhere. hiking in the dark except on really easy stuff as a deliberate strategy doesn't seem wise to me however.

yes for sure: know your limits. this trail in one day is really not for anyone but really fast experienced hikers in my opinion. as a 3 day hike others can certainly have a go.

interesting you prefer it to overlord which i really loved. perhaps I will give it a go ... as a 3 day-er though.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to brett

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by royball
There are a lot of better great ridge hikes that give you much more time up in the stratosphere
I'm liking this expression.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by royball

took a look at route to mt Marriott for a future possible solo hike for me.

Unless you are a trail runner type Mt Marriott is not a safe destination for a day hike especially as the days get shorter.
Personally I'd rank solo hiking as more risky than hiking in the dark. I have no bones with either and have solo hiked on occasion myself, as well as been benighted. There are certainly more risks to the former though.

Also, instead of asking for flagging, just build cairns. I hate seeing flagging above the treeline when there are perfectly good rocks nearby.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

yes: solo hiking has it's risks for sure. really slow and careful plus having a PLB, ice ax etc helps... I hope
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Scaling New Heights

The first time I attempted Marriott (about 7 years ago) we set out from WT Hut at about 8am but failed t get to the top due to lack of time and poor weather (I guess we were slow hikers). The previous night, an older man and his daughter arrived at the hut well after dark. They had spent the day trying to get to the top but had failed. The little girl (she looked like she was not even in her teens) was clearly very cold (shivering) and both seemed soaked through (it was raining/snowing outside). At the time we were all very unimpressed that the father would put the child in such a potentially harmful situation. Marriott is a looong hike to the summit. The Gunn route to the ridge is VERY steep (axe is mandatory), and the alternative routes are complex with difficult route finding. I would never consider trying to do Marriott as a day hike from the trailhead.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Scaling New Heights

The first time I attempted Marriott (about 7 years ago) we set out from WT Hut at about 8am but failed t get to the top due to lack of time and poor weather (I guess we were slow hikers). The previous night, an older man and his daughter arrived at the hut well after dark. They had spent the day trying to get to the top but had failed. The little girl (she looked like she was not even in her teens) was clearly very cold (shivering) and both seemed soaked through (it was raining/snowing outside). At the time we were all very unimpressed that the father would put the child in such a potentially harmful situation. Marriott is a looong hike to the summit. The Gunn route to the ridge is VERY steep (axe is mandatory), and the alternative routes are complex with difficult route finding. I would never consider trying to do Marriott as a day hike from the trailhead.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

As you approach the "crux" steep slabs/ramps part to get up on the ridge as per the Gunn scramble route,

look to your far right at a slope leading up to the ridge on the other side (climbers right) of the bowl. At the bottom there's probably a snow slope or big boulders depending on time of year. I found this route (taken on the way down) to be significantly easier.

That said, I can't attest to the difficulty of the crux section without snow as that is what I had when I went.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Rock and Ice Climbing, mountaineering, AT skiing, xc skiing, backpacking, hiking...

Hiking in the dark has its risks for sure but so does hiking in daylight.

I heard two guys actually did Castle Towers in a day.....Crazy bastards!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I hear where some crazy guy ran Castle Towers in something like 4 hours round trip
Probably he didn't follow any flagging either.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page